Author Topic: Knytt Underground  (Read 3273 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Knytt Underground
« on: Sunday, April 21, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »
I picked up Knytt Undergroundas part of a recent Indie Royale bundle, and its been pretty great. Don't let the chapters fool you. Chapter 1 teaches you how to play as the "human" character. Chapter 2 teaches you how to play as the ball character (from the old Within a Deep Forest game). Both are short and are mainly tutorials. I burned through them quick and was worried chapter 3 would be the same and it would just be some short game. Its not. The game opens up and its HUGE. I've spent a couple hours and only have the lower half of the map partially filled in. And its almost all 100% exploration. Some puzzle solving but you generally aren't avoiding enemies or anything like that. You just run (or bounce) around, sometimes you'll meet people that will give you some quest to complete. Its great. Very Metroidvania, minus combat.

On PC, Mac, Linux, and it looks like PS3 and Vita. Pick it up somewhere.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Knytt Underground
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 21, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
Nice. Sounds great.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
Still trucking along. Gotta ring 6 bells and I've done 2 now. Thing is the bells are blocked by gates that require you to scour the map for items. Oh, this guy needs 5 flowers! Where do I find those? Anywhere. As in, check every room until you find 5. There are also coins you find and usually you can use them as a replacement. For example, bring me 2 flowers and 3 coins. Of course I'm not doing that, must find all the things!

I guess if I was going to give advice, it would be to try to fully explore areas you are in. While it may seem like a metroidvania with the map and exploring all over, you do not gain any new abilities along the way. You are always capable of solving whatever puzzle is in front of you. But the main reason to fully explore is because all the item placements are spread out. Those 3 rooms you didn't explore? Maybe an item is in there! Or not. But you're gonna want to go check even if its on the other side of the map. Travel can get kind of tedious. Good rule of thumb: if it looks dangerous there is probably an item on the other side.

Also the story stuff has caught me off guard. I don't really know what to think about all of it. It kinda feels out of place.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
So if you do get this and play, enjoy the platforming and exploring. Because that ending is TERRIBLE! I guess there is a secret ending but holy crap that was lame.