Author Topic: The Humble Weekly Sale  (Read 4870 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
The Humble Weekly Sale
« on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
From the Humble Bundle dudes

Every week they will have a single indie game, pay what you want. This is similar to Indie Game Stand, except the sale lasts longer per game.

First up is Bastion. Pay anything and get the game, pay at least $1 and you get the Steam key, beat the average and unlock extras like the digital soundtrack, and interestingly paying $25 or more and you get some physical merchandise. They have a Bastion bandana and the physical soundtrack available. Pretty neat.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: The Humble Weekly Sale
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
Bastion is just awesome.
I got the Soundtrack Ed [Bastion + Soundtrack - which is DRM-FREE] from Gamersgate a while back.

$1 just for that game alone would be an INSANE steal.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Week 2 is kind of a let down for me. I was excited to see what would come next...

THQ games, all require Steam still. $1 gets Darksiders and Red Faction: Armageddon, beat the average for Darksiders 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Week 3:

$1
Red Orchestra
Red Orchestra 2

Beat the average
Killing Floor (with DLC)

All Steam...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »
New week, new sale. Blendo games!

$1
Flotilla
Atom Zombie Smasher
Air Forte

BTA
Thirty Flights of Loving (which includes Gravity Bone)

I bought this one, first because I wanted to play Thirty Flights of Loving, but also it gives me a copy of Flotilla not tied to Impulse like my original purchase.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
New Humble Weekly is Team 17 games. Get a whole bunch of Worms games for $1, and some other stuff. Steam keys only.

And that part just got interesting. You don't get bare Steam keys anymore. Instead, you link your Humble account to your Steam account and then you just click a button to have it applied to your Steam list. Saves you from having to copy and paste 7 game keys like before. The downside is you can no longer share those keys with others if you already happen to own one of the games.

There are a lot of people bitching about this and on one hand I understand why. If you already own the game then why can't you give it to someone else? I've done that a couple times. Of course we should probably ask why Steam doesn't let you do that in general (they do the exact same thing with their bundles and redeemed extra keys). But Humble Bundle always said that the keys were for your personal use. People have really abused it but spreading keys around (probably lowering sales of bundles) and some were scummy enough to sell the keys after the fact, going on ebay and selling them for much more than they paid. So now they have a system to eliminate that and...well, I guess its pretty good.

Of course it would be better if they would stick to DRM-free releases...but hey....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
I heard about the "Direct Linking" to your Steam-key - yeah, if it always gave you extra-copy through Steam as a Steam-Gift when it got tossed into your account, I'd be fine w/ this.

I really hope that if they do force this, it scans your Steam-account and SKIPS your account if you own the game already. I'd hate to see game-keys go to waste. I'd rather give them away; or trade keys; or something of that sort.

I still got a fair amount of extra keys from HB and other places that are just sitting and rotting:
http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=8752.msg115005#msg115005

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 06:13:57 PM »
New Humble Weekly is Team 17 games. Get a whole bunch of Worms games for $1, and some other stuff. Steam keys only.

And that part just got interesting. You don't get bare Steam keys anymore. Instead, you link your Humble account to your Steam account and then you just click a button to have it applied to your Steam list. Saves you from having to copy and paste 7 game keys like before. The downside is you can no longer share those keys with others if you already happen to own one of the games.

There are a lot of people bitching about this and on one hand I understand why. If you already own the game then why can't you give it to someone else? I've done that a couple times. Of course we should probably ask why Steam doesn't let you do that in general (they do the exact same thing with their bundles and redeemed extra keys). But Humble Bundle always said that the keys were for your personal use. People have really abused it but spreading keys around (probably lowering sales of bundles) and some were scummy enough to sell the keys after the fact, going on ebay and selling them for much more than they paid. So now they have a system to eliminate that and...well, I guess its pretty good.

Of course it would be better if they would stick to DRM-free releases...but hey....

Word on Reddit is that this is a response to fraud. People were buying tons of bundles with stolen credit cards and then selling the keys individually for $1 or whatever. Honestly, I don't think this is the reason because a.) it's a lot of work, and b.) it's just dumb, but that's what people are saying.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »
I think the fraud was people buying lots of bundles for $1 and then selling the individual keys after the bundle ended.

Looking at it from Humbles perspective, you can see why they don't really want you to share keys. As it is you have people able to buy games for pennies each and will then hand out extras to people...meaning now those people have no incentive to buy the bundle themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to still be able to do that. I've done it when I had legitimate extra copies (and not just keys for games I had no interest in. I never shared those). But I'm not really upset that Humble is trying to protect themselves. Lots of people bitching that this is going to stop them from buying bundles from them....please. When you can get 5 games for pocket change does it really piss you off that bad that you can't give parts of it away?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 01, 2013, 05:56:46 AM »
I'm all for the protection of their service but, for example, as someone who already owns all the games in the bundle what's my incentive for buying multiple bundles if I can't give out the extra copies to people who would otherwise never buy it for themselves? That said, I frequently donate explicitly without even taking any keys.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 01, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Yeah, I mean it still sorta sucks on our end that we can't give away the extra copies. We need to make Steam give giftable copies when extra keys are registered then no one would have a reason to complain.

This isn't directly related, but Wadjet Eye gave away one of their point and click adventure games yesterday. They were giving out Steam keys until some jerks went and stole thousands of them. That was a free promo for a point and click adventure game. Imagine Humble where you can pay $1 and get 5 keys for some even more well known games. It was even worse when you could pay a penny.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 01, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
I wonder how they're going to handle the Android titles.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 01, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
Yeah, I mean it still sorta sucks on our end that we can't give away the extra copies. We need to make Steam give giftable copies when extra keys are registered then no one would have a reason to complain.

I still think Steam should allow you to gift copies of games that you haven't ever installed or played. To me it seems like there's very little difference between something I've redeemed into my Steam inventory, and something I've redeemed into my library but never installed or played.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: The Humble Weekly Sale
« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 01, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »
I wonder how they're going to handle the Android titles.

I don't think this was an issue because the Android titles were only available through the Android Humble app, which is linked to your account.

I think you'll still be able to gift bundles, just not solo keys.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
And just got the Humble WB Bundle. You tie your accounts together and then click a button to redeem each key individually (without ever actually seeing the key number itself). It seems you can still also gift whatever you'd like (or I assume so as there's a "gift" button right next to the "redeem to this account" one.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
And just got the Humble WB Bundle. You tie your accounts together and then click a button to redeem each key individually (without ever actually seeing the key number itself). It seems you can still also gift whatever you'd like (or I assume so as there's a "gift" button right next to the "redeem to this account" one.

I believe the gift button brings up a page that says "you were gifted XX game". You copy the URL for that page and send it to someone and they can redeem that game for themself.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
The Humble Store officially launches!
« Reply #17 on: Monday, November 11, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
The Humble Store officially launches!

Check out the Debut Sale.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, November 11, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
Very exciting. I don't know if I should buy Prison Architect now or wait until its more final...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »
Man, bunch of those look really awesome. I want. I definitely want PA too, but I've been holding off. That price is tempting, but I don't have any money anymore.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 14, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »
A lot of great deals plus you get several platform/installation options e.g. Steam or DRM-free.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
The Humble Mobile Bundle 3
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

It is out! Yet another awesome Android bundle!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
This weeks weekly is Pinball FX and a crapload of tables. Steam only.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »
I could go for some Pinball

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
Humble Indie Bundle X is up.

To the Moon
Joe Danger 2: The Movie
Papo & Yo
Runner2

Pay more than the average
Reus
Surgeon Simulator 2013

Pretty good bundle if you don't already own several of them. Like me. Unless something cool gets added in later this might be the first HIB I pass on.