Author Topic: Some of you guys are smart with interweb stuff  (Read 2456 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Some of you guys are smart with interweb stuff
« on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
So, I'm putting together another website and going through name.com (thanks cools! Worked perfectly last time).  But guess what? Google sucks balls and google apps for business no longer has a free option (without a work around that I don't really trust to not be closed off).  That sucks because I really wanted to run mail through gmail for this...or be synced to outlook through gmail, but whatever.

The good news is that Microsoft has stepped up to the plate and has given Outlook.com email addresses custom domain support. That's great news because webhost email sucks balls anyways.  Sadly, name.com doesn't have a super easy template to auto add the settings for Outlook.com.

That's cool, that's cool, I followed the instructions and found a snazzy guide to help out. Followed them all, but I still have the warning on Outlook.com's setting page "You need to prove ownership of this domain by creating a DNS record. Use the settings below.".  Would this most likely be because DNS settings would have to propagate (since I'm proving domain ownership through a .txt update and the creation of a mail routing entry" or is ownership usually verified much more quickly and I just probably fucked the settings up?  I totally can't remember if DNS records are the things that take a while.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Some of you guys are smart with interweb stuff
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »
Nevermind, whatsmydns.com will probably solve all my problems.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
I can't remember, but i think name.com lets you change the DNS records somewhere in the options. Using a separate DNS service is an option as well. And yes, it does take time to see the change. Sometimes an hour, sometimes a day.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: Some of you guys are smart with interweb stuff
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
I'm not familiar with name.com, but all domain registrars have a place where you set the nameservers (DNS servers). Most registrars have their own DNS servers that you can use and the nameservers are typically set to their own by default. There is nothing stopping you from using other DNS servers though.

I wonder... Did you get the private registration service? This obfuscates all the domain contact info behind a third party. Perhaps MS wants you to validate that you actually own the domain and not the third party. Not sure how you would do that.

When you register a new domain, the top level DNS servers have to be updated to point to the registrar where the domain now lives. Changes to DNS on the public Internet typically take some time as Cools said. It could be related to that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Some of you guys are smart with interweb stuff
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
Just checked and it's all working.  Mr concern was that both tutorials I found wanted me to update nameservers and dns settings through the control panel, but I didn't have that option.  You guys were correct, it was hidden in the name.com hosting options. 

Also, what a strange move by Google.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
Yeah, it is a strange move. I personally didn't use Google Apps but I know a few people who loved it. In fact the friend who recommended name.com to me did so because it had Google Apps integration.