Author Topic: Gabe Newell is insane  (Read 3452 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Gabe Newell is insane
« on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
What the fuck?

No really, what the fuck?

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Gabe Newell is insane
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
Weird I guess... but I don't see it as insane.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
Heh, I just typed that as a temp title but forgot to change it. Oh well.

It just kind of strikes me how strangely Valve seems to be run. They got this now, they had some hardware stuff that got canned, some stuff that is apparently in the works like Steambox, they put resource behind developing things like Steam Trading Cards, etc. At the same time they refuse to staff up their customer support to handle the millions of customers they have and the Steam client itself could be a lot better than it is.

I guess it just seems like they have weird priorities.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
YEAH LIKE WHERE THE FUCK IS EPISODE 3?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 09:23:15 PM »
Huh, so all this time I thought his name was pronounced Ne(like the horse sound)-well, not NEW-well.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »

What do you think the slave labor is for? If it ends up sucking they can just say the kids fucked it up.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
With Valve, Steam, Steamworks, and now Pipeline I can only expect a future that inevitably involves Sewage.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 13, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Youtube is blocked here. What is the video about?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 13, 2013, 12:19:06 AM »
From the looks of things, Valve is "hiring" teenagers to give them game development experience or something. And people can ask them questions and stuff to get insight into it? I guess its to get kids interested in game development, which I wasn't aware there was a lack of such a thing. I would think having UDK, Unity, GameMaker and all these sorts of things just out there for kids to bang on and produce stuff is better than having a small group come in to hang out at Valve HQ.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 13, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
Thanks. That's interesting. Hmmmm...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
Well, the skeptics have called this nothing more than a glorified internship. I think the problem for Valve is that they could just wipe their bums with a piece of paper, and everyone will have a strong opinion on how well they did, or didn't do it.

Overall, this seems like a decent initiative to get some cheap workers yet also help some kids along the way. Unfortunately, Valve is such a high profile company with such little news in terms of game development, that unrelated stuff like this ends up being frustrating, which is probably not entirely Valve's fault.

That being said, the frustration comes form Valve not releasing actual games. Even titles like TF2 and L4D, which I really enjoyed... but they seem like diversions. Where are the the games that go toe to toe with the blockbusters of the world? Where is the new Half-Life?

I guess they are like Blizzard in the sense that they always play it safe, except with Blizzard products the money shows.

I know, I know, Valve owe me nothing. They've done absolutely nothing wrong, and there is nothing wrong with their business model. I just feel like they are a bit pussified.

edit:

I like what Idol says about Valve's lack of investment in customer support. I think they just don't like investing money. To a fault.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
It just sucks that Valve is getting away with being that way. Steam is a piece of shit both in terms of how they update it and the customer service Idol has mentioned. Valve is a big company and could've easily solved most of the problems by now. I'd get if they were working on something big and just didn't have the manpower, but umm.. what exactly are they working on? Steam still has the same problems it had 5+ years ago!

And at least with Blizzard you know that the games eventually do come out. :P

Offline gpw12

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 08:13:41 PM »

That being said, the frustration comes form Valve not releasing actual games. Even titles like TF2 and L4D, which I really enjoyed... but they seem like diversions. Where are the the games that go toe to toe with the blockbusters of the world? Where is the new Half-Life?

The hilarious thing is that TF2 and LFD are both YEARS old.  Diversions or not, it's amazing that Valve hasn't really done much since then.  Or have they?  It seems weird because they have to have coders and artists on staff - people's who's skill sets don't translate well to what we see Valve doing now (and we haven't heard of layoffs). So what have those guys been doing for the last 2 years?

As for the intern thing, I actually think this is really good.  Honestly, call it a glorified intern program, but before now I imagine it was pretty much impossible for high-school kids to intern with games companies.  The whole fee labour for experience trade-off has generally been limited to university students up until now and this opens doors for kids who can get involved a lot younger, which is pretty cool.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Half-Life 2

Day of Defeat: Source    
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

Half-Life 2: Episode One

Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Portal
Team Fortress 2

Left 4 Dead    

Left 4 Dead 2

Alien Swarm

Portal 2

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Dota 2

That's their output since 2004 according to wikipedia. So at least one game every year. Which is more than most devs, but for some reason it still feels like they aren't releasing games. L4D was good, then L4D2 came out and felt more like DLC. Alien Swarm...does that even count? They released that with one campaign and just left it to die. Portal 2...yeah, Portal 2 was good times. CS GO is more god damn CS. Did it even add anything new to the formula? And Dota 2 is an exact remake of a WC3 mod, which has already been remade several times.

Plus none of those games are the thing people want: Half Life. You left it on a huge cliffhanger 6 years ago and haven't said a word since. It's what everyone is waiting for so every other announcement is "Oh...its not Half Life."

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
It just seems that most of their recent games have either been updates on older mods or games that were started by someone else and Valve polished them up. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but they just haven't produced anything really original or "in house" since HL2.

The other thing is that with the amount of money Valve must be making with Steam they probably have more than enough resources to work on HL3 or even some new IP. I think that's why this internship is kind of funny because you'd think they'd be able to hire professional developers. Mind you, I still think the idea is good because like gpw said it's not easy to get into the industry.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 04:14:20 AM »
It is also good because a lot of kids get into this industry with no idea how demanding the job is. Irons out those not looking for a career less glamorous than popularly perceived.