Author Topic: PSN Plus  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
PSN Plus
« on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
I think it is called PSN Plus, right?

Anyway, worth going for it? Unfortunately I noticed that a few of the downloads it offers are games I already bought. But I might get it still because there are games I don't have, that I wanted.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: PSN Plus
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 08:44:28 PM »
Hard to say. It costs the same as XBL Gold, but has a bunch of free stuff thats supposedly going to change every month. Some of the free stuff you get to "keep" as long as you remain a subscriber, while some of it will expire every month.

I'm going to let it go for a while, see what sort of discounts and stuff actually end up being offered.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
The problem I have with Playstation Plus is the fact that these so called 'freebies' aren't actually free.  If for some reason you cancel your account all of those games are rendered useless.  Personally, I would rather just buy them outright than being tied into a subscription I cannot leave without losing those games.

As of this moment I don't see any advantage of having this premium service, much like XBL Gold as well.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 11:48:57 PM »
Well let's see what freebies they add over time. $50 per year isn't so bad if you are getting four or more quality titles a year.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 07:12:29 AM »
I'm pretty torn on it as well.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »
http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

Nothing about that is compelling except for the fact that you get 3 extra months if you do the one year thing now.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
If those games were just given to you and not rented this would be a no-brainer.  At least there's something substantial offered with XBL (multiplayer), but here it just seems like they threw a few things together just to charge people for it.

Cross game chat should not be a premium service either.  That's straight up bullshit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
Maybe I need to have a better look at it, but PSN isn't very clear about some of this either.

When I saw the PSN+ logo next to MK2 (which I already own), I assumed that it meant that MK2 was going to be free with PSN+

Apparently, it is just 50% off.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
Some games will be free, and some games will have discounts to buy them. For PSN Plus, it just seems to depend on how those deals work out. Will I end up saving more than $50 a year with those discounts? And even if the "free" games go away if you stop subscribing, I think you'll get your moneys worth out of them.

Its hard to compare it with XBL, though. Only reason to get XBL Gold is multiplayer, but PSN has multiplayer for free. So if you get PSN Plus you get those discounts and "free" games on top of having multi. Its probably a better deal overall.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
It is hard to say at this stage if you will get your money's worth, until a few months pass and we can examine the pattern of what is being offered every month.

Obviously the mileage for everyone will be different, but so far I've been unimpressed.

They should have started with a bang here with a limited time offer on a bunch of stuff.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Pug how is that version of MK2?  I've been toying with grabbing it, but I've read some so/so type things about it.  I've got a stick for ps3, and MK2 was obviously my favorite of the series.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
It is a pure port. A menu has been slapped on top, and you can set the screen size (edit: by set, I mean zoom in and out) but that's about it. It is all about the nostalgia factor, and how much you loved MK2 back in the day.

Having said that, when I bought it, my brother and I put in two hours into the game without realizing it. It is so faced paced, and Jhonny Cage's split punch is still a barrel of laughs.

Had a bunch of friends over and we played MK vs DC, which while fun in a party environment, felt a bit sluggish.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
 ;D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 14, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »
So, the Vita thread made me think of this.  I bought a PS3 years ago and we mainly used it as a media server/netflix machine for years with occasional gaming.  I then had to replace it with a Super Slim due to a brazen break-in, which came with a 30 day subscription to PS+.  I'm in a new (motherfucking beach-side) apartment by myself, and the increased alone time when I'm here (which isn't that often) has gotten me back into playing games more.  I activated the PS+ about a month ago.

I'm convinced that this is probably the best deal in gaming right now.

There are a ton of "free" games now.  I think it's something like there being 12 actively available for PS3 every month, with 3-4 rotating in or out each month. Whichever you "purchase" for free will be available to you for the lifetime of the service, but if something rotates out, people who missed it won't be able to "purchase it".   Therefore, your library will become bigger over time and it just makes sense to "purchase" every free game in the list any month.

The selection is pretty good.  Uncharted 3, Grid 2, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Borderlands 2, some indie games, and a ton I'm missing are currently active.  Bioshock Infinite rolls in this month, as does Brothers, and Devil May Cry.  The fact that you don't own the games is a deterrent to some, but for me the entire value of the game comes from the first play-through, so it works out great. 

The PSN deals are the real seller for me.  I activated because NHL 2015 was 50% off, so I got that for $15, which is a steal.  I followed that up by paying like $9.99 for a package of two Ratchet and Clank games, a seasons pass of Walking Dead Season 2 for cheaper than during any Steam sale, and the same for A Wolf Among us.  Honestly, the sales are pretty great and something I wasn't expecting.

Beyond that, I caught a deal on the year membership, so it was $30 instead of $50, which you can catch from time to time and apparently stack so you have years of subscription time ahead of you.  At $2.50 a month it's a fucking steal and I advise anyone with a Sony machine to get right on it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 03:37:35 AM »
Is there any way for someone to cash in on PSN Plus's PS3 or PS4 deals if they don't have the consoles? I sold my PS3 a while back because I was in need of some cash, but is it possible to continue 'purchasing' the free games on Sony's website or something in case I buy another Sony console a few years down the road?

Actually, I've heard that it *is* possible... I am just hoping someone here knows how.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Re: Re: Post neat things you find on the interwebs
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 07:26:06 AM »
Yep, you can access the psn store via a PC and "purchase" the free stuff so it gets added to your PSN account.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Check it out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: PSN Plus
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
Exactly.  Purchase them through the PC store (clunky I find) for zero dollars and they're locked to your account for the day when you get that hardware.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »
Thanks guys. Maybe in a few years I will have a huge library waiting for me. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »
Thanks guys. Maybe in a few years I will have a huge library waiting for me. :)
That's what happened to me with the iPad! I had been stacking up all the stuff that went free for a day on the Apple App Store, when I finally got an iPad I connected it and it said I needed "~128 GB of free storage to install all apps." That 64GB iPad I had was loaded :P

Grab the stuff while you can.

Btw, some games are always available to all PSN Plus subscribers (like Uncharted 3 Singleplayer and Uncharted on the Vita) but other titles only go free for a limited time to Plus subscribers then go back to regular price after the allotted period is over.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
OK I have logged in. How can I see what is free for PS3 users?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
You want to be on store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com  click on "games" at the top, "Playstation Plus" on the sidebar, and then "free games" on the sidebar again.  Should bring you to that month's free games for all the consoles.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »
Wait, there's games available for free to people that don't have Plus? I should be doing this, as I want to get a PS3 (and/or PS4 depending on what games get ported up) eventually.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
No, you need Plus. You can "purchase" the games for consoles you don't have, but having a valid Plus membership is the key.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
ahh, nevermind then. Yea I'd probably want to keep Plus going if I had a PS3 or PS4, but don't, so yea.