Author Topic: Tomb Raider finally turned profitable  (Read 2229 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Tomb Raider finally turned profitable
« on: Monday, January 20, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
Only took them most of a year.

Too bad that means they will likely do more of this style of Tomb Raider. Series is dead to me.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Tomb Raider finally turned profitable
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 20, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
I picked it up recently but haven't played much of it yet. The only reason I got it was due to the good reviews. TB might be a known franchise but it's not really a top calibre name these days. Square Enix took a huge risk and they should consider themselves lucky that the game didn't flop.

I'm not going to comment on the actual game and how true it is to the original series, but if people liked this installment I'm sure more people will consider buying the next installment. Though at $100 million per game, that's expecting a lot considering 3.4 million units in the first month isn't a small number. Also considering they are going head to head with games like Uncharted. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 20, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
Honestly, I liked it quite a bit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 06:43:02 AM »
I have paid basically no attention whatsoever to the entire series since the very first game. Which I loved, at the time. I think I played a bit of the second game, but that was it for me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
I really liked the last Tomb Raider (TR 2013). Honestly, ever since Crystal Dynamics got their hands on the franchise they've really done wonders with it.

I know everyone busts TR 2013's chops for being too similar to Uncharted but it's supposed to be similar. The first time I played Uncharted I thought "Yes, a spiritual successor to Tomb Raider that's actually good!"

TR 2013 lacked some of the things that made the original great like the puzzle solving and the underwater stuff but that doesn't mean they won't necessarily manifest in a sequel. The original was innovative and introduced this very cinematic Indiana-Jones-esque style and experience to games well before the graphics technology to show it off was even readily available. The original Tomb Raider was not even hardware accelerated, it was all software rendering.

TR 2013 had more focus on action but it retained that cinematic experience and the sense of exploration that defines the Tomb Raider franchise. I firmly believe that TR 2013 was a step in the right direction for the franchise.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
I think all a Tomb Raider 2013 successor needs is better and more complex puzzles (and keep those as side-quests, like TR 2013 did); and both better story-telling and character development.

I thought TR 2013 awesome, even despite my minor above complaints.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
I really want to pick up the Definitive Edition of this game, since I never played it. The $60 pricetag is a bit ridiculous though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Yeah, they should at least give some kind of discount for people who already own the original.

I'm still holding out for a PC version.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »
But the last TR game was awesome!