Author Topic: Monument Valley gets 1-star reviews after charging for expansion  (Read 1993 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Monument Valley gets 1-star reviews after charging for expansion
« on: Thursday, November 13, 2014, 01:21:06 PM »
Story
Another story

Monument Valley is an iOS game (also possibly Android? I think?) that came out a little while ago. Had good reviews, looked really nice, and cost $4. It wasn't free to play, didn't have in-app purchases for "gems" or extended timers and shit. It was a game that you paid for and played, like the good old days!

They recently added an expansion that nearly doubles the content in the game. This is an in-app purchase of $2 to unlock it. So $6 total for a game and its expansion. Thats cheap as hell!

But its not free, so the iTunes reviews page is filled with people complaining that they didn't double the game content for nothing. People seem to hate free to play games but also don't want to pay anything either. It's so weird.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Monument Valley gets 1-star reviews after charging for expansion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 13, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
I can sort of see a little annoyance since the core game was so short, but still. Mobile gaming is fucked because of mentalities like this. If you can't deal with paying $6 for a game, you shouldn't even be playing games.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Monument Valley gets 1-star reviews after charging for expansion
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 13, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
If you can't deal with paying $6 for a game, you shouldn't even be playing games.

Mobile game fans are the fucking worst.  They will love free2play shit like Candy Crush or the latest runner game, but hate on this.  Don't get me wrong, I think you may have a legitimate point if you said "$4 and the game is over in under an hour. A bit disappointing". Faulting a short game for being short is legitimate in my eyes and the rest of us could look at it and say "Yeah, sure, but it's $4 - I'm going for it anyway." 

This is something else though.  Rating the whole game low because you don't want to pay for an expansion.   You're right, this is part of why mobile gaming is fucked.