Author Topic: Metroid... on piano?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Metroid... on piano?
« on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
Yep.  This guy does a bunch of piano music, but I think those are easily his most standout tracks (though he also seems to sell a CD of Final Fantasy music), and they've got the best sound quality.

However, turns out he's only a single artist in the greater VGPiano.com, which has about 8 people total with pages of their piano renditions of various game songs.  Pretty cool stuff!  Highly recommended, especially the Metroid tracks from this Daniel Brown guy. They're really, really good.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Metroid... on piano?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »
Wow, I've listened to the Castlevania ones and one of the Metroid ones and those are really good.  Thanks for posting it, I love piano only pieces like these.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »
That's terrific, much better than I expected.

Edit:  I'm now listening to the Castlevania pieces.  This music, gorgeous even on 8-bit hardware, is even better suited to the piano.  Some of the interpretations have some halting moments that I find odd.  (The guy seems too capable to running into technical trouble with the keys, so I assume it's on purpose.)  But otherwise, I love it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 05:21:32 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
I dunno'... this guy is definitely an amateur, and it seems to me that he's been doing this for a long time.  A lot of the recordings are noticeably better than others.  It could be that those recordings are older, maybe?  I dunno'.  He's certainly very talented in any event, but I'm not sure how much time and effort may have gone into earlier recordings as opposed to the better ones (eventually he seems to have switched to something entirely digital for recording purposes, instead of just micing a piano badly).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 30, 2008, 06:52:57 AM »
Have you guys come across Minibosses? They basically play our favourite classics but in a Rock style.

I loved these piano tunes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 30, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
Pretty sure Belmont has seen the Minibosses live on an occasion or two.  They're cool.

Also, in case any of you have been living under a rock, MetroidMetal.com is awesome.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 30, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »
Pretty sure Belmont has seen the Minibosses live on an occasion or two.  They're cool.

Also, in case any of you have been living under a rock, MetroidMetal.com is awesome.

I sure have, but it was just once when I lived in Phoenix, it was a pretty good show.  I was headbanging so hard when they played the Castlevania medley.