Author Topic: That's so gay.  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
That's so gay.
« on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:16:07 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/16/thats.so.gay.ap/index.html

SANTA ROSA, California (AP) -- A judge ruled Tuesday that a high school student who sued after being disciplined and then mercilessly teased for using the phrase "That's so gay" is not entitled to monetary damages.

Sonoma County Superior Court Judge Elaine Rushing said she sympathized with 18-year-old Rebekah Rice for the ridicule she experienced at Maria Carrillo High School. But, the judge said, Rice's lawyers failed to prove that school administrators had violated any state laws or singled the girl out for punishment.

"All of us have probably felt at some time that we were unfairly punished by a callous teacher, or picked on and teased by boorish and uncaring bullies," the judge wrote in a 20-page ruling. "Unfortunately, this is part of what teenagers endure in becoming adults."

The law "is simply too crude and imprecise an instrument to satisfactorily soothe deeply hurt feelings," Rushing said.

The case filed by Rice and her parents in 2003 brought widespread attention to a three-word phrase that some teenagers use to mean "stupid" or "uncool," but has come under attack as an insensitive insult to gay people.

The Rices argued that a teacher violated Rebekah Rice's First Amendment rights by sending her to the principal's office and putting a note in her school file. During a trial in February, Rebekah Rice testified she said "That's so gay" as a response to other students asking her rude questions about her Mormon upbringing.

Rushing said the school district was not liable for monetary damages because the law under which the Rices brought the lawsuit specifically excludes schools. In addition, she said that school officials are given wide latitude in deciding how to enforce non-discrimination provisions of the state education code.

The judge added that it didn't make sense to have the referral stricken from the girl's school record, since she graduated last year.

The lawsuit also accused the public high school of having a double standard because, it said, administrators never sought to shield Rebekah from teasing based on Mormon stereotypes. It also alleged that the Rices were singled out because of the family's conservative views on sexuality.

Rushing rejected each claim, going so far as to suggest that the Rices had created a miserable situation for Rebekah by advertising their dissatisfaction with the school's handling of the incident during her freshman year.

Neither the Rices nor their lawyer returned telephone calls seeking comment.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: That's so gay.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:34:40 AM »
The Rices argued that a teacher violated Rebekah Rice's First Amendment rights by sending her to the principal's office and putting a note in her school file.
So I can tell my teacher to "Fuck off" and they can't do anything because its my first amendment right? If only I had known this when I was in school!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
That's all well and good, but I wish the judge had also said that hearing the phrase "that's so gay" is also part of the experience of being in school for teenagers, whether they're sensitive about it or not.  There is no good reason to make a tempest in a teapot out of that either.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
California.  *sigh*

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
While attending high school, the constitution does not apply, especially if you're underage (I know this girl isn't but she could've been at the time).

However, I think the judge is an idiot for saying that being treated unfairly is apart of life and she should just deal with it. Isn't that the point of courts and judges, to make sure things aren't unfair?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »
That's so gay.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:26:54 PM »
I am so tired of people.  I just never get used to living with them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:28:34 PM »
I'm glad she lost, but seriously.  How did this take 4 years to figure out.

The article says the law the suit was based on specifically excludes schools.  Our legal system is stupid.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »
This is funny.  Last night, my older daughter calls me at about 11 PM because her CD/DVD drive in her laptop is not being recognized by Windows.  We talked for about an hour, and not just for trying to solve the problem.  (We didn't.)  Somewhere in the conversation, she used the very phrase in question here, so I told her all about the subject of this thread.  She was dumbfounded.  I tried my best to tell her we don't really live in a free society anymore (if we ever did) and that things like this may only get worse in the future.  We talked about excessive consequences to mild transgressions, such as the phrase, and sharing MP3s.  We talked about corrupt governments and the biggest banana republic on Earth (us).  I guess that's part of what parents should do for their children now, scare them about the police state we've become.  Survival trumps optimistic illusions.