Author Topic: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate Thread  (Read 4029 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate Thread
« on: Wednesday, July 11, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »
More FEAR will be coming our way.

It has been announced for the PC, there will be a new stand-alone expansion -- F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate.

Also, X360 gamers will be able to buy a bundle-pack called F.E.A.R. Files, which will bundle together the F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point and F.E.A.R: Perseus Mandate campaigns.

F.E.A.R. - New 360 Bundle and PC Add-on
[Ure "Vader" Paul] 07:55 am EDT @ July 11th, 2007
Sierra Entertainment today announced F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, an all-new stand-alone expansion pack for PC.

They also revealed F.E.A.R. Files, the complete stand-alone expansion pack series, for the Xbox 360.

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, the second expansion pack for Windows PC, offers both seasoned gamers and those who have never played the original F.E.A.R. (First Encounter Assault Recon) the ability to jump-in and experience the fright with a brand new team in an all-new experience that presents a different perspective of the events that occur at Armacham. The campaign reveals a parallel story allowing players to take the role of a different F.E.A.R. soldier and battle new enemies that the original team never saw coming.

F.E.A.R. Files features the all-new F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate campaign, as well as F.E.A.R. Extraction Point, voted "Best Expansion Pack" by PC Gamer, delivering a double dose of chills and action.

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point kicks off where the original game ended. Once the hunter, now the hunted, the new mission is simple ... escape. All new locations, weaponry and enemies combine to take the F.E.A.R. franchise to new levels of action and suspense.

More details will be revealed about F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate and F.E.A.R. Files at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) held July 11-13 in Santa Monica, CA. For more information, details and updates regarding F.E.A.R. Files or F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, please visit http://www.whatisfear.com.

Both products are scheduled to ship this fall.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 06:16:23 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate for PC + F.E.A.R. Files for X360 Announced
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2007, 08:25:36 PM »
Wonder who's developing it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate for PC + F.E.A.R. Files for X360 Announced
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »
Wonder who's developing it.

Good question.
We don't know yet.

I wonder, maybe it's TimeGate again...?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate Thread -- Update: Impressions of Perseus
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 19, 2007, 02:16:05 PM »
Some impressions on FEAR: Perseus from FiringSquad at E3

While Monolith is developing a true sequel to their 2005 first person shooter F.E.A.R. (but without the F.E.A.R. name attached), publisher Vivendi/Sierra continues to expand the original game with F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, the upcoming stand alone second PC expansion pack to the original game (Perseus Mandate will also be released for the Xbox 360 in a collection that will include the first PC expansion pack Extraction Point). During E3 last week we got a chance to check out a brief demo of Perseus Mandate which will be developed by Timegate Studios.
There you have it, guys -- Timegate is back for Perseus, after making Extraction Point and all.

Unlike the first expansion pack, which was basically a quick coda to the events of the first game, Perseus Mandate will feature a storyline with a new protagonist (a second F.E.A.R. operative) that is designed to run parallel to the events of the main game. While you will have some of the same abilities as the central character in F.E.A.R. there's no relationship between the new guy and the scary little girl Alma which may mean she won't have any problems with taking you out.
Okay.

Our brief E3 demo showed off some of the new enemies, weapons and locations in Perseus Mandate. The locations include some battles in a sewer system and it looks like this game will have more variety of locations than the original F.E.A.R. game (although some of the original game's locations may be seen again). We got to see some multi-level battles with the series' new main mercenary enemies called Nightcrawlers (something that was lacking a bit in the original game) and the series's solid AI is back once again.
Sweet.

New weapons in the expansion include a grenade launcher that fires a sphere of nails along with a rifle with a infrared scope that's useful if you find yourself in a room with lots of dust (all of the new weapons will be available to use in the expansion's multiplayer modes).
Nice!!!

New frightening creatures like the ghost-like shades will also be a part of the expansion. While there's lots of shooting we did see a couple of very scary moments in our E3 demo as well so it looks like it won't lack in the horror aspects.

Right now our only concern about Perseus Mandate is that the expansion looks like it uses the same graphics engine with the same features as the first game did two years ago. Having seen the untitled F.E.A.R. sequel that Monolith has developed at E3 it's clear they have moved on and as such the visuals of Perseus Mandate make not look as good in comparison. We hope to get more info on Perseus Mandate before its release for the PC this fall.
Okie dokie.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 06:11:52 AM by MysterD »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, July 19, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
D, host the pics on a Photobucket account or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2007, 04:54:47 PM »
FEAR: Perseus Mandate DEMO from Timegate has been released.

735 MB download.

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate Demo [October 09, 2007, 4:28 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
A playable demo for F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate is now available, sampling the upcoming standalone shooter expansion. The chance to check out how the next official installment in the F.E.A.R. series is shaping up without the participation of original developer Monolith is a 734 MB download; available on the Sierra FTP server (direct link) with mirrors on 3D Downloads, ActionTrip, FanGaming, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), and PixelRage.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate Thread -- Update: 734 MB Download Released
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 06:15:37 AM »
Looks like most stores now will be selling all of FEAR 1's Stuff in one box for the PC, which is called...
FEAR Platinum.

It'll contain FEAR, FEAR: Extraction Point, and FEAR: Perseus Mandate.

Damn -- can't they also have a box selling me the two expansions together (Extraction and Perseus)?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate Thread
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 08:19:56 AM »
Why does this have another expansion? Really now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
Why does this have another expansion? Really now.

Namely b/c Sierra own the "FEAR" brand-name.
They are trying to cash in on Monolith's success, basically...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »
I guess the first expansion sold really well then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 01:55:37 PM »
I guess the first expansion sold really well then.
Timegate developed Extraction -- and it was overlooked by Monolith, as it also followed the events after Alma.

Perseus, I dunno -- it follows a path and timeline that's concurrent to the Alma saga from FEAR. So, who knows how unimportant it probably will be...I'm sure it won't be as exciting as the Alma stuff.

As far I'm concerned, ALMA is FEAR.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 07:26:21 PM »
I still haven't played FEAR.  I did, however, hear that this expansion doesn't really add anything...at all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »
GPW go play F.E.A.R.

Awesome game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 09:54:03 AM »
Ok, I just tried out Perseus Mandate. Let's just say it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

The first and most obvious flaw is appearance. Now, when Gamespot said it looked dated I naturally assumed they meant "by today's standards" as in compared to Gears of War or Crysis. I expected it would look like the original F.E.A.R. Unfortunately, that's not the case. It actually looks worse. When I first loaded it I thought there was a bug or a faulty installation as there was no specular lighting whatsoever. As it turns out that's just the way everyone is experiencing it, including the screenshots and videos on Gamespot. Everything looks very "matte" and extremely dated. Besides that the "new" models all look low-poly and pretty shoddy. They don't fit with the rest of the original work at all. It's most noticeable with the expansions "new" weapons.

The good news is I'm now more optimistically anticipating to Project Origin.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 22, 2007, 07:23:11 PM »
Well, I went out and bought FEAR.

I had the choice of the gold version, platinum version, or just straight up FEAR with no expansions.  I took the standard one.  If I really like it, I'll get the first expansion for nothing somewhere, but it seems like the kind of game I probably won't want an expansion for.

I played a bit of it and it's really fun.  Some of the bullet decals look just stupid (like giant potholes) but that's my only real complaint.  The other thing is it runs really weird.  It seems extremely resolution bound.  I can run it at 1280X960 maxed out and get anywhere from 20fps to 40fps or run it at 1070x768 and hit anywhere in the high hundreds maxed out WITH full AA and AF.  Seems a bit weird, and I'd rather play at the higher res without AA and AF, but it's not game breaking by any means.  It also could have been fixed in a patch since release (this is version 1.0), but to get the latest patch it's 600MB, and I'm holding off on that for a bit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 22, 2007, 10:58:37 PM »
...You are playing 1.0?

While the game runs great out of the box, it runs even better after patched. You have a dual core right? Just download the patch. From what I remember they improved performance with the patches.

I am going back to play Crysis now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 24, 2007, 07:43:15 PM »
Yeah, I can't update it.  I've downloaded two different patches (1.05 and 1.08 I believe) from two different sites, and neither will install.  It's either an installation problem or install shield problem that others have encountered.  I don't know how to fix it, and if it's an installation problem, I'll just keep playing 1.0 since I don't feel like swapping out 5 or 6 CDs again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 24, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »
Man that sucks.

One solution is to find the expansion dirt cheap, and let it update your game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 12:42:50 AM »
Man the CD juggling is tedious. That's why I made a CD to DVD conversion. I can't use the DVD to play, but at least I can install unattended. Either way I usually end up using a crack to avoid having to put a CD in the drive every time I wanna play.