Author Topic: The Bridge of Sighs (The Sy Makes Nonsensical Topic Because He's Tired Thread)  (Read 1680 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
It's not a game, but a level in Homeworld.

I started playing the game again about a week ago and just made it to the level. It's a potentially extremely slow and tedious level and it's probably my favorite in the game because you have to do everything so deliberately. It's one of the last missions and it requires you to break through a giant sphere of about 100-150 Ion Canon Cruisers (capital ship destroyers) to get to a special installation in the middle. The way I like to approach the mission requires about five to six hours while I slowly twiddle down the sphere of ships, stealing as many as I can, and eventually overwhelming the center (as well as the rest of the game since your fleet is consistent throughout the game).

It really shows the game's strengths and weakness, depending on the player. It forces you to be patient, something most games aren't willing to do and I love it for that. I imagine lots of people who played Homeworld got to the Bridge of Sighs and either rushed through and were underpowered for the rest of the game or just quit outright. It's sort of the last great hurdle in finishing the game and, because of that, I think the name is appropriate (moreso now that I've looked it up.

So, I wanted to take a break and this post was the result. I was also curious: anyone else have a really memorable Bridge of Sighs in a game. I can't think of another great example right now, but I know I've been through a couple.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 16, 2007, 08:46:32 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Bridge of Sighs (The Sy Makes Nonsensical Topic Because He's Tired Thre
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:14:50 PM »
Can you be more specific?  I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  An exactly similar situation, or just a memorable one that stuck out in the same way?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:36:42 PM »
Yeah, see. I'm not even totally sure what I was getting at.

Odds are I was just talking about some good penultimate that may be the last great challenge in a game. It's like, if you manage to beat that the rest of the game is something you get to enjoy and sail through.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »
For me, it was that fucking gauntlet run toward one of the last bosses in God of War II.  I must have done it 2 dozen times before I finally got it, and I felt like every other point in the game had been pretty easy all things considered.  Some people think it might have been the weapons I chose to level up, but I'm not convinced.  Still, that was definitely one for the record books for me.

Actually, that's the only one that comes to mind right off the bat.  I know you and I have talked before about that crazy orange-block guy from the last area of the original Mega Man, but I can't remember the end of the game so well.  But since I don't remember it as much as I remember that guy, I'm thinking it couldn't have been nearly so tough.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:59:42 PM »
Oh yeah. I think it turns out that Orange guy isn't is bad as we remember. I went through the game again when the Anniversary packs came out and it wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed back then. It was a little disappointing. However, the whole last levels of Mega Man 2 really picked up the slack and threw a lot of stuff at you, especially the area where you had to fight all eight boss robots in a row.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »
I remember those days.  Damn, I need to get those games on my PSP.  I miss them all so much.