Author Topic: The Wii: a personal opinion by K-MaN  (Read 1748 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
The Wii: a personal opinion by K-MaN
« on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 07:01:36 PM »
I originally posted this at the gaming forum that I'm a moderator of, but I wanted to copy/paste it here to hear your thoughts.

We're nearly 9 months into the Wii release, and while we've seen some interesting/decently fun things being released or announced (Wii Fit, SSB, et al) I have a much longer list of criticisms about the console than I originally thought I would.  Why would I post this as a standalone thread instead of in the official wii thread?  Because 1) I don't want this post to get lost in the shuffle.  2) This thread will hopefully generate some decent discussion and debate. 

Now lets go over what I think Nintendo has done well:

1.  Price point. 

Comparatively speaking, the Wii isn't as hardcore of an investment as a 360 or PS3.  Hell at 250 dollars it is almost in 'impulse buy' territory.  Non-gamers are much more willing to take a chance on a 250 dollar console than a 500 dollar one, for sure.  And as we're painfully finding out, the casual gamer is the exact demographic Nintendo is shooting for this generation.  Another good byproduct of the price point is that us hardcore gamers don't feel THAT bad when we get home with it and realize that as of now our wants are being ignored.

2.  PR. 

The media absolutely loves this thing.  To them the Wii is the apparent video game equivalent of the second coming of Christ. 

3.  The Virtual Console.

A lot of you may be miffed that Nintendo isn't releasing all their grade-A titles on the front end.  But why would Nintendo want to 'blow their load' at the very beginning of the cycle?  Release your good games along with a couple of stragglers every week, so people are more likely to drop a dime on those lesser-known titles.

4.  The footprint. 

This console isn't very hard to fit in your current setup. 

5.  Excellent Gamecube backwards compatibility. 

In a day and age where hardware emulation is quickly being phased out, Nintendo is standing strong by leaving a Cube chip in with the Wii (although the argument could be made that there was a cube chip in there to begin with)

6.  They don't break. 

Not surprising since most of Nintendo's consoles have been immune to defects and were proven to be fairly tough-skinned (anyone ever see the youtube video of the gamecube being dragged down the road by a truck that still worked afterwards?)  There was an occurence here and there with the Wii, but nothing like what has been seen with the 360 and to a lesser extent the PS3.

7.  I find the Opera Browser to be somewhat useful.

Granted it isn't the best browser in the world, but if I want to watch youtube on my TV I generally turn my Wii on.  (obviously I do not have a media center PC to speak of)

Now, the bad.

1.  Games.

This will get better.  At some point it has to.  I think I echo everyone's sentiments when I say "ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN MINIGAMES!"  Sure, a handful of minigame-based titles is fine. But come on, a whole slew of them?  In less than a year?  It's almost like Nintendo couldn't find any other way to utilize the Wii remote (a point expounded upon later in this post).  Sure we've got Metroid coming out, and SSB hitting before the end of the year, but the pickins' have been slim thus far.  We're seeing holdovers from the Gamecube become best-selling titles.  Resident Evil 4, a game that has been released on two systems prior, is Gamespot's highest rated game for the Wii at this point (tied with Wario Ware, a damn minigame collection).  Does anyone else see anything wrong with that?

The third party support has been pretty abysmal up to this point.  Aside from Resident Evil 4, are there any true third party blockbusters on the Wii?  I can't think of any.

In short, Nintendo has started out this generation by making the same mistakes as the last - Banking on their first party franchises, not attempting any true original content, and leaving third parties to give us such gems as Ice Age 2.

2.  Virtual Console Pricing.

The fact that I can go out and get most of these titles in the original cartridge format for less than what is being charged in the store should be reason enough to consider a price drop.  Granted some of their releases are becoming hard to find (the donkey kongs, LttP, etc), but why pay 5 bones for a copy of Mach Rider when you can most likely find a copy helping to stabilize a table leg somewhere?  Some titles are worth their prices in the store, but a majority I feel are very overpriced.  You might say "Well, you don't have to buy them".  Well, you're right.  And I'm not.  To this date I have 4 VC games total on my machine, one of which I strongly regret (Toejam and Earl).  I can anticipate buying a few here and there, but I can say for sure that I would buy them more often if the prices were more reasonable.

3.  The Wii Remote.

A novel idea in theory.  However, its almost as if Nintendo came up with the idea but didn't bother with thinking of valid ways to utilize it.  The games thus far that have used a novel approach have been mediocre.  Tiger 07 was almost impossible, CoD3 could have been amazing, but the Wii controls killed it, and lets not talk about Red Steel.  How much of it is the inability on the developer's part to utilize the control scheme and how much of it is the limitations of the controller itself I could not tell you.  Either way, the majority of the games thus far have suffered due to the controls, not made better by them.  This point could be a partial explanation as to why we haven't seen many decent third-party offerings.  Maybe they haven't figured the damn thing out either.

4.  Wii Connect 24

Nintendo spoke sweet sweet words about delivering content to our machines every day.  We were supposed to be able to wake up the next morning with our disc slot flashing blue, inviting us to endulge ourselves in the new content Nintendo so lovingly delivered to us over the previous evening.  My slot hasn't blinked in the past 4-5 months, and in fact the only correspondence i've even received from Nintendo was their notifications about certain channels becoming available.  What happened to those demos we were going to be able to download from the Wii to our DS'?  Hell, even a message every once in a while would be tolerable.  Nintendo took a feature that had the potential to be something very novel and great and is doing absolutely nothing with it.

5.  No "cheap" games.

The Wii would have been the perfect platform to attempt relatively short "short spurt" games at the 20 dollar price point.  In fact I believe that some of the current games should have been released at this price point (Brain Age, Wario Ware, I'm looking at you).  A game can be fun and not be very long or require millions of dollars in development.  And that game should be cheap.

6.  The Forecast Channel is useless, and the News Channel is to a lesser extent

This is a feature I would absolutely love.  I could forsee using the forecast channel daily.  The downside being that my area updates twice a day.  I find it a rare instance where I am interested in the current conditions from 12 hours ago.  I also have very little use for news that was reported yesterday, since I have already most likely heard about it.

7.  Online play/friend codes

I like to envision this happening at Nintendo.

Exec 1:  You know, these gamer kids are all about this newfangled "online play"
Exec 2:  Yeah, XBL has certainly provided an excellent infrastructure and interface for gamers to be able to play together.
Exec 1:  We need something like that for the Wii, only not as robust, and much more complicated.
Exec 2:  I've got an idea!  Friend codes!
Exec 1:  Yes indeed, that will surely piss off the masses!

So here we are.  If we even so much as want to exchange messages we have to exchange friend codes over another medium first.  And not only that, you never receive any sort of confirmation that anyone has entered your friend code in.  At the very least a confirmation system ala xbl would have been nice, but no.  Nintendo had to go fuck up a great idea.  I understand the Friend Code system is there in part to protect children from potentially unsavory stuff, but the system is so complicated that you're going to alienate the very people you covet - the nongamer.  I can't even imagine what true online play will be like in games.  I imagine it will require faxing some sort of identification to a central database.

8.  What happens to your VC titles if your console fails?

Everything you've downloaded from xbl is tied to your account.  Not so with the Wii.  What if your box goes out of warranty and breaks?  Will all those VC games you ponied up cash for be refunded?  Backing up is pointless, since we know that VC are only licensed for one Console.  I've emailed Nintendo about this and have not received a solid reply.  That scares me.

In summary, since I own a 360 I'm nowhere near as upset as I could be.  However, if this were my only console I'd be beating my head against the wall in frustration and/or saving for another console.

That's all I can think of at this point in time.  I'm sure I'll have more to add as time goes on.  But anyhow, do you agree?  Disagree? 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Wii: a personal opinion by K-MaN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 07:22:33 PM »
You bring up some very good points. I think the current minigame trend is from the fact that the Wiis popularity caught everyone off guard. "Oh yeah, a wand. The Wii. We'll make a game or two I guess. Focus on 360/PS3, thats what everyone will be buying." Then the Wii sales fucking dwarfed everything else (its something like 2:1 360 and 4:1 PS3) and companies are scrambling to get *something* out there to sell to the already substantial and still skyrocketing install base. Quickest and easiest thing is the minigame collections.

Also devs havent come to grips with the remote quite yet. From the recent E3 reports Metroid Prime 3 is going to set a very good example for people, so hopefully it will be something thats overcome.

VC stuff...I agree. Too expensive with an unsure future. Its just ROMS and an emulator, I can get that stuff for free and even the lowest end PC will run it full speed. Ok, not so much the N64 stuff, but everything else will. Just seems like the VC could have been great if they charged $1 a game or something. They've already made their profits off the titles and $1 is total splurge price. Even if your Wii breaks and you have to rebuy them...its only $1 and most would buy them yet again.

Can't say much about weather and news, but I agree the Opera browser is groovy for YouTube on your TV.

I also think "cheap" games should become the norm on Wii. Simple games with a lot of fun packed in them, desn't have to push graphical boundries or anything. Hopefully their WiiWare store thing offers this kind of thing.

DS demo uploading via Wii seems like something easy for them to do. DS Demo channel, download the demo then wifi them to your DS.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »
I don't own a Wii so can't speak to this 100%, but I'd say I mostly agree.  Really the biggest problem in my view is the lack of games.  A few more great titles and all will be well, but they really need to get those quick and ensure that they keep flowing in steadily.  I mean, that's job one for pretty much *any* console, regardless of focus.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
My biggest problem with the Wii is the lack of good single player games (action, adventure, and RPG games mainly), a good 80-90% of the games can't be enjoyed to their fullest extent unless you play with other people and that just sucks and is probably the reason I won't buy one even when my roommate and I move apart (he owns one).  There isn't a lot of future single player titles that I'm interested in either.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »
I still feel guilty for not putting enough time into mine to fully enjoy it. What I can say though is the internet capabilities have far exceeded my expectations in both function and my use of them. It's become a regular thing now to check out stuff like Youtube on it with other people and Aimee uses it all the time so she can watch stuff somewhere more comfy than her desk.

I'm guessing I'll finally dive in when Metroid Prime comes out and that's more than enough for me. In the past I've stated I would buy any Nintendo console with the promise of a Metroid game. Given how the series continues to be my favorite, the promise still stands today.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 18, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »
K-Man, on one hand I understand your complaints and then on the other I think maybe you were expecting something else out of the Wii.  From the moment I played Wii Sports with my sister, I knew the system would be perfect for short, simple, fun things do to with two or more people.

I never expected to see anything like a Metal Gear Solid level game on the Wii at all.  I mean Nintendo has never pretended to station the console other than what it is at this time.  They never talked about these huge titles that would be on it, merely that it would be fun to play and IMO, it is.

As far as the controller goes, I can understand some gripes about some games.  But I heard the Wii version of Madden 07 was great.  So I think it's the other games' developers that didn't know how to properly utilize the controller.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 18, 2007, 09:36:10 PM »
I concur with this thread.  I absolutely despise the fact that the console seems to be so gimmicky still with minigames.  I want to see some deep single player/multiplayer games.  But it seems to me that Nintendo is trying to cater to the casual gamer, and as a result, it causes this trend of simple minigames. 

I hope they will at least start releasing some better games that have some lasting value.  So far, from what's been released, the only games that interest me on the Wii are Zelda and Paper Mario.