Author Topic: Another Big PS3 Game Begins to Fall  (Read 3095 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Another Big PS3 Game Begins to Fall
« on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 12:33:10 AM »
First Heavenly Sword review I've seen.

And it's not very favorable.

Heavenly Sword was one of those games I just wanted to see fail, although I didn't have a very good reason. It probably relates to some stupid bias against the PS3, but it just pleases me to see yet another hopeful going down.

Next up: Lair. I'm already expecting not-so-great reviews though. At least with Heavenly Sword there seemed a better chance for the game to come through.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Another Big PS3 Game Begins to Fall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 12:42:02 AM »
For some reason I actually feel that it's kind of a shame.  The game really looked to have potential, and even though I have little desire (and no money) for a PS3 right now, it seemed like it could end up being cool.  Lair looks much the same to me as it does to you, I think, and I can't anticipate much from it (though we may be proven wrong... who knows).  Anyway... sucks for Sony.  They're going to really be feeling it if the general consensus is that HS is indeed 7.0 territory.  I suspect many players will forgive the flaws, though.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 05:02:56 AM »
Does the PS3 have any really outstanding games even???

I know it'll take time to build a library, but they don't seem to have many great exclusives...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 06:22:27 AM »
Does the PS3 have any really outstanding games even???

I know it'll take time to build a library, but they don't seem to have many great exclusives...

Does the Wii?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 08:34:14 AM »
Said it before and I'll say it again:  there is no comparison between the Wii and the PS3 or the Xbox 360.  It's a completely different system intended for a completely different audience.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 11:05:19 AM »
Yea you are right actually.

One of my uncles asked me if he should buy that new console with the motion detection. I've never seen him interested in a game in his life.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 05:44:13 PM »
the PS3 will hit its stride.  And it'll be the exact day that MGS4 hits.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 06:10:46 PM »
Have they finally gotten rid of that pesky gameplay that int interrupts the MGS epic movie?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »
They've effectively pared it down to a few button pushes.

Seriously though, I think a lot of people really overreact with that.  There's plenty of gameplay to be had.  There just happens to be long movies in-between the action.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 07:49:32 PM »
Though it's arguably less enticing.  MGS2 really bores the shit out of me, to be honest.  It isn't that it's bad, I think the pace is just off.  I've tried to beat it twice and I just get really tired of it about halfway through, though I still want to see everything that goes on.  MGS3 looks amazingly awesome, but I keep trying to finish 2 before I try it!  Though the gameplay looks great.  That's one I feel annoyed with myself that I haven't yet experienced.  I just need to finish up 2, which seems like maybe it'll happen someday.  Like I went through most of AC!D not long ago, and I find that much, much more engaging on a gameplay level.

Anyway... I again point to the fact that MGS4 looks to be made available on the 360 as well.  Despite K-Man's insistence that the port will probably suck (and that's certainly a possibility), I don't know that it's going to be what pushes PS3 where it really needs to go.  The fact that it isn't PS3 exclusive is going to hurt the PS3 whether the 360 port sucks or not.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 10:03:55 PM »
Nothing has been confirmed (that I can find) of MGS4 coming to 360.  All I know is that the PS2 version of MGS2 Substance is more sought after than the Xbox version.  It's more rare as well (which admittedly doesn't really factor).  The Xbox port was full of bugs and slowdown.  While that isn't necessarily indicative of what would happen with a MGS4 port to the 360, it certainly doesn't set a good precedent. 

And since MGS3 technically happens before 2, you don't have to feel bad about playing it without finishing 2.  In fact 3 may help you understand some of what went on in 2 a little better.

MGS4 will be a system seller for the Metal Gear fanboys (read: me) that have been holding out on a ps3 until release.  Outside of that I don't think MGS4 will be a HUGE system seller ala Halo or Mario, but I think it will be the PS3's first bonafide hit.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 25, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »
I'm been slowly playing theough MGS2: Substance on Xbox the last week or so, and I've found ONE instance of anything resembling a bug/slowdown. It's at the very beginning of the game, when you're on the tanker and outside. If there's too much rain effects (especially the place where there's a waterfall type thing goign over a ledge), the game slows a bit and feels like slow motion.

I wish there had been a MGS3 version on Xbox, as I still don't have a PS2. I could borrow my brother's, but he likes to make that a pain in the ass.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
Well Gspot scores Warhawk favorably and that was one that I wouldnt mind checking out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
Not bad, it looks fun.  Unfortunately that's a fairly niche title, I'd think.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »
They gave it the same score as Metroid Prime 3.... I know, I haven't played either yet, but something about that feels off.

Anywho, I had no idea the game was coming out so soon. I sorta expected it to be a Christmas title. I also didn't know it was multiplayer only. That's kinda interesting. I imagine it'll work out like Crimson Skies and the Mech Assault games did for the X-Box. That is, it'll feel the arcady-multiplayer role.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:07:32 PM »
I thought you were going to say "It'll bastardize yet another franchise"

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »
Am I so predicable?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 12:58:50 AM »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, September 01, 2007, 02:02:27 AM »
Now that's funny. I expected just okay at best, but not straight out bad. The review just makes it sound sloppy and amateurish and Factor 5 should be above that, especially for a game that had resources like this. Of course, from my memory of the Rogue Squadron games, It's not entirely surprising. Those games were pretty unambitious when it game to actual gameplay and they did feel a bit souless.

It's even funnier to see Warhawk as the system's saving grace currently. Go fig.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
However, today we see a favorable Heavenly Sword review from GSpot that cites the game's length (about 6 hours) as its biggest weakness.  This is the only other review I've checked out, so I wonder what the general consensus is.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »
Gamerankings has it about 80-85%.