Author Topic: Bank account took a little hit...  (Read 2322 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Bank account took a little hit...
« on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »
Assassin's Creed, and Super Mario Galaxy!

I'm finishing up "Call of Duty 4" today, and them I'm gonna move on to Mario. I'm waiting for some more AC reviews before I open that thing. So far all I've heard are good things.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Bank account took a little hit...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
How did you get Mario Galaxy, preorder?  I imagine walking into a store expecting to find undisturbed copies is a bit of a pipe dream.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
Crysis, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Super Mario Galaxy Argghh...

I'll probably pick up Assassin'c Creed and Mass Effect first, and pick up Mario Galaxy and Crysis closer to Christmas.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 01:09:56 PM »
The more I read about Mario Galaxy the more I want it. Its getting pretty much universal praise. Damn you Wii, why must you be so tempting!?

Also Assassins Creed is getting great reviews (well, more like impressions since the reviews are embargoed or something). I'm going to wait for the PC versions but its going to be a long wait.

Reviews are coming in. Looking pretty good.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 01:31:35 PM by idolminds »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »
Damn money.

I recently got Crysis and plan to get UT3. Both will be US versions so I am looking at $120 blown there.

Then I got Gears of War on the PC, and Call of Duty and the Orange box as well. But since they are cheaper versions I didn't feel the hit.

While I had planned this for the past few months knowing what was on the horizon, it still makes me wince.

Ugh... I had forgotten about the NWN expansion and The Witcher.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 06:21:11 PM »
The more I read about Mario Galaxy the more I want it. Its getting pretty much universal praise. Damn you Wii, why must you be so tempting!?

Also Assassins Creed is getting great reviews (well, more like impressions since the reviews are embargoed or something). I'm going to wait for the PC versions but its going to be a long wait.

Reviews are coming in. Looking pretty good.

I've been tempted by the Wii again as of late.  I'm still going to hold off though.  There are a few stellar games, but little on the immediate horizon that interests me.  I'm not dropping full price for the console, extra controllers, and shit in order to play Wii Sports and the three or four good single player games out there.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »
Heh.  I bought an N64 to play Mario 64.  Everything after that was a bonus.  History repeats itself.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 07:28:59 PM »
I also bought an N64.  The whole thing was a giant letdown for the 10 months of any given year the console was alive that you weren't playing the annual good game that came out for it. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Dude, I think I payed something like $300 for an N64, and it was the first games system I bought.  I believe this was grade 10, so that basically translates into $300,000,000 real world dollars.

Seriously, over 4-5 years there were like six good games.  Sure, they were all classics and very iconic, but people already forget the months and months of waiting with your dusty console back when they owned N64's. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »
Bank account took a little hit...

Assassin's Creed, and Super Mario Galaxy!

I'm finishing up "Call of Duty 4" today, and them I'm gonna move on to Mario. I'm waiting for some more AC reviews before I open that thing. So far all I've heard are good things.

Looks like you need to win the lottery, since ya bank account took such a hit!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
It took a while to take off, but I ended up with about 50 N64 carts, which I still own.  They're in a box somewhere now, so I can't name them all easily.  If pressed, I guess I could look through a list of releases somewhere and pick mine off.

My point was that I bought the N64 for the single purpose of playing Mario 64.  That was worth the price of admission to me then.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »
That's a valid point I somewhat glossed over when you first made it, and I apologize for that.  I was personally just let down a lot by the console.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 09:48:46 PM »
Honestly, I thought Goldeneye was beyond overrated.  Same with Perfect Dark.  I heard nothing but great things about those for months after each released, then played them at a friend's house and was like... that's it?  It was pretty much as by-the-numbers-FPS as it got.  I still don't get the attraction.

But yeah, I'm still not buying a Wii.  I want SMG and I want Prime 3, but two games are not enough reason to buy a console.  There are a few other miscellaneous odds and ends I'd play if I had it, but nothing I can't live without.  I suspect that the Wii is going to end up being a console I buy after it's old, cheap, and the next generation has moved into place.

Too many games coming out now.  So many I want, so few I even have time to fucking play.  AC looks great, but that's going to be one I hold off on.  I may abstain altogether, even though I want to play it.  We'll just have to see.  I think Mass Effect is going to be a must-buy if it turns out as cool as it's looking now.  Time will tell.  UT3 will probably get picked up at some point, but I doubt right off teh bat, and I could give a shit about Crysis.  The reviews honestly haven't swayed me that it really does anything so amazing.  It just looks dull and uninspired to me, as it has from the moment it was announced.  I honestly don't know why, I liked Far Cry more than a lot of people did.

Thankfully, The Witcher has me by the throat right now, I have no need to even want anything else for the time being.  It's really all I can think about.  Work was very hard today.  It's been a long time since I had a game waiting for me at home that I wanted to play so bad I couldn't get my mind off of it, and I think this is due to two things: I. a lot of games just aren't as good as this game is.  II. Most games I've really wanted to play that badly have been like 10 - 15 hour affairs that I finished in two or three days on and around a weekend, hence giving me no real time to be at work wishing that I was at home playing them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野