Author Topic: AMD finaly launches Phenom... and boy is this sad.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
AMD finaly launches Phenom... and boy is this sad.
« on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »
AMD can't stop dicking around! The whole article is a really sad read, especially since Anadtech have over the years always supported them and cut them far more slack than Intel. But the guys really seem frustrated with AMD's attitude, and the article is really sobering.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3153

It's surreal isn't it? Is this how you pictured it? With forty-three days left in the year, AMD is finally letting us publish benchmarks of its long awaited Phenom microprocessor. The successor to K8, AMD's most successful micro-architecture to date, and the cornerstone of AMD's desktop microprocessor business for 2008: Phenom is here.

But shouldn't there be fireworks? Where's the catchy title? The Star Wars references were bound to continue right? Why were there no benchmarks before today, why are the next several pages going to be such a surprise?

AMD had been doing such a great job of opening the kimono as its employees liked to say, giving us a great amount of detail on Barcelona, Phenom and even the company's plans for 2008 - 2009. The closer we got to Phenom's official launch however, the quieter AMD got.

The problem is, and I hate to ruin the surprise here, Phenom isn't faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad clock for clock. In other words, a 2.3GHz Phenom 9600 will set you back at least $283 and it's slower than a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad Q6600, which will only cost you $269. And you were wondering why this review wasn't called The Return of the Jedi.

Quite sobering. The Phenom is being released today and it can't overtake the year old, and soon to be succeeded C2D line.

Almost as soon as we had Phenom samples, Intel made the decision to sample a CPU requiring a FSB that wasn't officially supported by any chipset at the time. No, 1600MHz FSB support won't come until next year with the X48 chipset, but it didn't matter to Intel; we were getting chips now.

Take a moment to understand the gravity of what I just said; Intel, the company that would hardly acknowledge overclocking, was now sampling a CPU that required overclocking to run at stock speeds. Even more telling is that Intel got the approval of upper management to sample these unreleased processors, requiring an unreleased chipset, in a matter of weeks. This is Intel we're talking about here, the larger of the two companies, the Titanic, performing maneuvers with the urgency of a speed boat.

Yea, Intel as definitely changed its attitude during the past year or so. It all seems to have started with the C2D processors, and now it seems like Intel is trying to be active. This doesn't mean I don't think Intel is evil. If AMD were to die tomorrow, Intel would go back to incremental improvements for monumental charges.

But the following bit, I found to be quite sad:

First Tunisia, then Tahoe?

As a slightly off-topic but important sidenote, I thought it would be appropriate to let everyone know how AMD wanted this review to happen, and how certain folks within AMD were champions for the right cause and made it actually happen.

AMD knew it wouldn't be able to trounce Core 2 with Phenom, especially not at 2.3GHz, so it wanted to control the benchmarking that was done on Phenom. For the first time in as far as I can remember, AMD wanted all benchmarking on Phenom to be done at a location in Tahoe, of course on AMD's dime. AMD would fly us out there, we would spend a couple of days with a pre-configured system and we'd head home to write our stories.

Now I championed for this sort of early-access to Phenom months ago. I've visited AMD alone three times this year primarily to talk about Phenom, and each time I left without being able to report so much as a single benchmark to you all (everyone remembers those articles right?). I tried and tried to get AMD to part with some early Phenom data, because they were losing the confidence of their fan base and that's a sad thing to see for a company that really took care of this community when we needed it most.

After Tahoe AMD would eventually sample Phenom parts so we could test in our own labs, but there was no word on exactly when that would be. Chances are you would've seen a handful of numbers here today if we had gone to Tahoe with a full review of the chip hitting sometime in December.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I refused to go to Tahoe.

Don't get me wrong, a free trip to Tahoe is a wonderful thing, but Phenom deserved better. It deserved dedicated testing, it deserved a thorough review, not a quick glance over a couple of days. And I had a feeling that you all would agree. The time for AMD-sanctioned testing expired months ago, if Phenom was launching this week, we were going to have a proper review of it.

These days, AMD seems to be learning a little too much from the ATI way of doing things. If AMD had its way, today's Phenom review would have been done from beautful Lake Tahoe, on a system that AMD built, running at a frequency that isn't launching. Now there's nothing wrong with allowing us to preview Phenom under closed conditions, after all, Intel does it, but that's simply not acceptable for a review of a product that's four days away from being in stores. You all want to see a thorough review of Phenom, not some half-assed preview, definitely not after waiting this long for it.

An AMD rep, familiar with the Tahoe trip, asked me, somewhat surprised, "what, Intel doesn't work like this?".

Sorry to say, Intel doesn't. Today Intel let us preview the Core 2 Extreme QX9770 processor, do you want to know how they did it? The FedEx guy dropped off a chip. No flights to Tahoe, no hotel rooms, no expenses at all. Don't get me wrong, I felt like an idiot turning down a free trip to Tahoe, but it was for AMD's own good. We've all seen the financials, these aren't times to be wasting money on silly trips around the country, it costs less than $30 to ship a CPU and that's all we need.

I get the point of Tahoe, it's to control the benchmarking, making sure we wouldn't be comparing a 2.4GHz Phenom to a 3.0GHz Penryn, but honestly folks - would we really do that to begin with? And I get the idea to wine and dine the press, with hopes of more pleasant reviews with better relationships - but this isn't a product to toy with. We're here to do our jobs and that is to review the product that will carry AMD for the next twelve months, and honestly we can't do that from some lodge somewhere away from our testbeds.

This isn't the first time AMD has heard of this from me, and there are many within AMD who feel the same way. The reason you're finding this rant in here today is because I am concerned for the future of the company. Competition is a good thing, we need to keep it around, but AMD needs to learn from its competitors. Intel and NVIDIA don't try things like this, business is always first with them, frivolous pleasures come next.

To AMD: if you want to be Intel, start acting like it.

haha... damn that is scathing! Anandtech attacking AMD like never before.

And I can understand their grief. It would be extremely frustrating for them to see AMD trying to heavily control the benchmarking, when the product is going to be out in four days anyway. On the flip side, I am sure AMD would have had a different attitude had their product smoked the year old competition.

Right off the bat the numbers aren't looking good for AMD. The Phenom 9600 is priced closest to the Core 2 Quad Q6600, but unfortunately for AMD the Q6600 outperforms it by a healthy 10%. AMD needs a 2.6GHz Phenom to equal the performance of the Q6600, but the 9900 won't be out until next year, when it'll have to face the Penryn based Q9450 and Q9300.

I am not going to bother quoting the rest. Basically most of the non gaming related benchmarks find AMD 20-30% behind... and Intel's new beast isn't out yet.

Gaming Performance

To highlight CPU performance differences, all of our 3D gaming benchmarks were run at 1024 x 768, so keep in mind that real world gameplay will most likely be at more GPU bound resolutions with CPU differences mattering less. That being said, this is a CPU review, so we do want to know which of these chips runs game-code the best.

It turns out that gaming performance is really a mixed bag; there are a couple of benchmarks where AMD really falls behind (e.g. Half Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 3), while in other tests AMD is actually quite competitive (Oblivion & Crysis).

While Phenom suffers greatly in video encoding and 3D rendering tests, there is hope for it as the 9700 can actually compete clock-for-clock with Core 2 in some games. If all you do is game on your machine, with the right video cards you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between a Phenom and a Core 2 system - that being said, if you're looking at quad-core, chances are that you're doing something else with your system other than game.

At least it isn't bad in the gaming performance. But most of those are GPU dependent anyway.

Power Consumption

At idle, the Phenom's power consumption is competitive with Intel's quad-core, but under load Intel takes the cake. Power consumption will only get better for Intel with Penryn, without a doubt we'll see improvements to Phenom's power consumption as yields improve and production increases just as we did with K8.

Unfortunately it sucks more power as well.

Final Words

If you were looking for a changing of the guard today it's just not going to happen. Phenom is, clock for clock, slower than Core 2 and the chips aren't yet yielding well enough to boost clock speeds above what Intel is capable of. While AMD just introduced its first 2.2GHz and 2.3GHz quad-core CPUs today, Intel previewed its first 3.2GHz quad-core chips. We were expecting Intel to retain the high end performance crown, but also expected AMD to chip away at the lower end of the quad-core market - today's launch confirms that Intel is still the king of the quad-core market.

As we've seen from our mainstream CPU comparisons however, all of this could change with some clever pricing - something AMD seems to have forgone with its Phenom launch.

Here's what really frightens us: the way AMD has priced Phenom leaves Intel with a great opportunity to increase prices with Penryn without losing the leadership position. Intel could very well introduce the Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.33GHz) at $269 and still remain quite competitive with Phenom, moving the Q9450 into more expensive waters. Intel has't announced what it's doing with Penryn pricing in Q1, but our fear is that a weak showing from Phenom could result in an upward trend in processor prices. And this is exactly why we needed AMD to be more competitive with Phenom.

It's tough to believe that what we're looking at here is a farewell to the K8. When AMD first released the Athlon 64, its performance was absolutely mind blowing. It kept us from recommending Intel processors for at least 3 years; Phenom's arrival, however, is far more somber. Phenom has a difficult job to do, it needs to keep AMD afloat for the next year. Phenom is much like the solemn relative, visiting during a time of great sorrow within the family; let's hope for AMD's sake that it can lift spirits in the New Year.

Aww jeeze. Anandtech is really bringing out the rhetoric. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: AMD finaly launches Phenom... and boy is this sad.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »
Gah.  I'm tired of these people fucking up.  Seriously, I hate Intel, but they aren't giving us any choice.  AMD seems just as screwy now.  It's turning into American politics - you have two choices, and both of them fucking suck.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »
I read that article several days ago. There's some great imagery in there.
Take a moment to understand the gravity of what I just said; Intel, the company that would hardly acknowledge overclocking, was now sampling a CPU that required overclocking to run at stock speeds. Even more telling is that Intel got the approval of upper management to sample these unreleased processors, requiring an unreleased chipset, in a matter of weeks. This is Intel we're talking about here, the larger of the two companies, the Titanic, performing maneuvers with the urgency of a speed boat.
Back to AMD/ATI, I understand they're working on putting a CPU and GPU onto the same package, either on the same die or as a multi-chip assembly. This would fill the niche that the nForce does now, only at a lower cost. (It would also be an interesting platform for stream computing.)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »
W&C, that is supposed to be their next big thing. As you probably already know, it is one of the reasons for their ATI purchase.

And Que, the real issue here is the lack of competition. Either their new line needs to undercut the price, or provide significantly better performance. There is already talk of Intel not going through with their price cuts with the same vigor. They just don't need to.

I am thinking of it this way. Had C2D never happened... these chips would have been hailed as the next big thing. But look at how long it took them to release these. So my point is, did AMD really expect Intel to release nothing decent in between the AMD 64 and AMD Phenom years? That is just stupid.

Also I am thinking they just can't afford to cut the price on these, which is a bit of a worrying thought.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/27/amd-manages-turn-hardware-sites

SCOTT WASSON is one of the most reasonable guys running a hardware site - his baby is Tech Report.

So when he lights out against a vendor, you can be pretty sure that what he has to say has more weight than the nutter brigade.

In an editorial on his site today, he criticises AMD for restricting reviewers' access to products before launch.

He says: "As a reviewer, I've become conditioned over time to see this sort of PR move as a classic and sure-fire indicator of a poor product."

His goal, he says, is to bring fair and thorough reviews to readers as fast as he can, so Tech Report works with vendors rather than acquiring samples from third parties and going for the fast scoop.

Generally speaking, AMD gets a comparatively easy ride from the hardware sites - everyone knows they've less money and clout than Chipzilla, and competition from an underdog is generally a good thing.

Wasson says that even in "the darkest days of the Prescott fiasco, Intel supplied reviewers with new product samples regularly".

AMD, he thinks, "would do well to handle its struggles with similar grace and class".

This time last year, AMD managed to cheese off its channel partners by apparently favouring Dell over them. This was a remarkable self-inflicted blow because it had five years of goodwill in the bank.

For AMD to turn hardware sites against it would be a similarly daft move. It, quite simply, isn't in the best position to lose more goodwill seemingly unnecessarily.