Author Topic: Orange Box and Quake Wars = $38 @ CC (Starts 10/7/2007)  (Read 24128 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Orange Box and Quake Wars = $38 @ CC (Starts 10/7/2007)
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 02:52:20 PM »
Also, if you're playing a 3 to 5 hour episode of a game and you get bored EVER, you know something is very, very wrong.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
That's a very good point, but to be fair I did play the two episodes back to back.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »
Yes I found episode one to be an extreme chore. Imagine a four/five hour game and literally forcing yourself to finish it. In the end I had about one hour of ep1 to go, and dragged it out for a month.

The worst part was having played HL2 and looking forward to answers, only to find you are back inside the stupid freakin' tower in episode 1. While it did have some entertaining scary sequences, the whole episode was a real drag. I wanted to just so badly get out of the damn city, and finally move the hell along in the story. I actually expected ep1 to begin with Gordon out of the City, and things moving forward.

Unfortunately nothing seemed to happen in episode 1. By the time you finally get out of the city, the game ends!

I honestly think Valve could have combined the best parts of episode 1 and 2, still kept it down to six hours, and yet have made a much better experience as whole.

I think the part with the striders and hunters went on a touch too long personally.  I was getting pretty bored at the end of it, running back from attack zone to attack zone.  For the last few attacks I ended up setting up shop right in front of my base and just letting them come to me.

While I think you are right, for some reason I really enjoyed it. The whole strider attack thing lasted a long while and was quite repetitive, but the time passed by very quickly for me. I think it could have been because I had the game's volume down and was listening to the PCG podcast as I played heh.

GPW what did you think of the very end?

(click to show/hide)
All the same, I look forward to ep3. I can't say I looked forward to ep2 at the end of ep1.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »
Maybe that's why I liked Episode 1 and you didn't.  I don't worry about the story, because HL2 doesn't have one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
That's definitely it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 04:13:56 PM »
As an action game, HL games definitely succeed in giving the gamer action.

HL2: Episode 1's biggest problem is it's TOO much like HL2: Episode Zero. The physics puzzles, the weapons, the enemies, etc etc; there's barely anything new in Episode 1. It was, for the most part, a rehash of Episode Zero.

About HL games, sure -- there's a plot and all. Good luck digging for ALL of it, since a lot is cryptic and not able for you to assemble any pieces to try and assemble something out of it. It gives you a feel of "Wait until we here at Valve figure out where we want to take it to." Unfortunately, even though the characters have some depth to them, the plot really does lack it -- majorly. Worst of all, HL always tries to act like there's a lot there -- w/ long dialogues and expositions, that over add up to....nothing of much. At least Painkiller, which has no plot, knows what it is "there's no plot, we'll just throw crazy levels and shit at you to blow to kingdom come!"

About storytelling in HL, Often, it feels like a lot of things they just decide to pull out of their ass. HL games never seem to ever explain themselves -- but if they do explain it, it's usually quite late. For example, Episode Zero's cool ending isn't really explained at to why until Episode One actually OPENS. See, at the end of each HL episode/game, you will have new questions that leave you scratching your head. Unfortunately, they don't really give you any clues half the time of where it's going or actually put some of the pieces out there in any way to assemble a nice detailed story; a lot is still broken. Just try assembling something -- uh-oh, a lot of shit is still missing....

At least w/ FEAR (Original), hell -- even if ithe plot ain't spelled out 100% for you what's happening in your face, you definitely can assemble all of the questionable pieces together into something.

As an action FPS, Ep Two is great. And I do love the HL characters, too. But, unfortunately, seems like Valve still ain't great at story-depth.

Ep Two, at the base...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »
D that will happen again haha.

Yes it is frustrating. It is like a game that pretends that it has a really deep story, when it doesn't.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, December 08, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
D that will happen again haha.
I expect shit like that to keep happening -- Valve doesn't tell us shit.

I'm telling you, they come up w/ cool stuff that they pull out of their ass and decide to delay any real explanations, in hope that you'll go and buy their next game -- in which their next game may or may not answer the cliffhanger(s).

Sometimes I wonder if Valve pulls a plot-element out of their ass and decided not to explain it until later b/c they ain't come up w/ the reason why that event has actually happened yet! :P

Yes it is frustrating. It is like a game that pretends that it has a really deep story, when it doesn't.
It's a shame, 'cause really that is the biggest weakness in the HL series.

Valve, hire some freakin' writers that explain shit! :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, December 09, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
GPW what did you think of the very end?

(click to show/hide)
All the same, I look forward to ep3. I can't say I looked forward to ep2 at the end of ep1.

I just finished it.

Ep Two Ending
(click to show/hide)

Yeah, Ep Two was a hell of a lot better than Ep One, regardless... 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #169 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
Man I finished Portal. The HL2 engine still holds up really well in indoor settings. The portal gun is gorgeous looking, and every so often I'd just pause and admire the weapon textures.

But the game is really sweet, and pretty much the perfect length. I love the ending, and the game seems like it was put together with guys really believing in their project. I was really pleased with it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #170 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 04:34:56 PM »
Portal was great.

Portal, End-Of-The-Game Talk
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, December 13, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
ActionTrip reports that StuffWeLike did an interview w/ Doug Lombardi of Valve.

Stuff We Like: Are there any current plans after Episode 3 to have a Half Life 3?

Dave L: We haven’t announced anything specific, but Half-Life won’t end at Episode Three – hang on to your crowbars!
No surprise there.

I wonder how "up in the air" HL2: Episode 3 will leave us, leaving us fiending for HL3.
You just know it's coming.... :P

BTW, when the hell will they announce Portal 2? :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: Friday, December 14, 2007, 09:23:54 PM »
TF2 draws me in a bit more each time I play.  The balancing between the classes is amazing once you get over the learning curve (there's no "standard class" so it takes a while to start actually being useful with any of them).  I personally found the secret to having fun with it relies on your willingness to switch classes depending on the situation, and I've become at least passable with all of them (although I never touch sniper or spy).  My personal favorite would be medic, as I think it has the greatest impact on the tide of battle of any of the single units.  After that engineer for sure because you can make or break a defense as engineer.

But the thing that's stupid about the community surrounding the game is the whiny aspect of it.  People constantly bitching about whatever it was that tends to kill them a lot.  The current bitching?  Sniper Wars.  People bitching about how snipers on maps usually end up shooting at each other a lot (this is mainly directed at 2fort which people shouldn't be playing anyways), and thus don't aid their team in any way. They counter the very logical argument that snipers counter each other when nothing else does really, and distracting each other is what enables other teams to make movements by saying that the argument is just circular.  What?

But apart from the bitching, it's a great MP game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, December 15, 2007, 02:39:13 PM »
TF2 is really good MP-stuff.

I just wish Valve would pump out some new maps for this thing. I mean, geez -- the game only shipped w/ SIX maps, as is.

Yeah, I know The Orange Box is supposed to have "episodic" sized new stuff, but God -- Valve, can you deliver us a new official map every now and then???

Thankfully, when I hit a server, often they are using non-Valve maps; so yeah, at least there's other maps swinging around, to keep you playing. It's a good thing for SDK's to exist....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 05:25:34 AM »
Well, I finally took the plunge and picked up The Orange Box. Unfortunately everything refuses to install giving an ominous message "The Steam servers are currently busy. Try again in a few minutes." It's been doing that for the last hour.

I don't really know what the Steam servers have to do with installing from a disc but it is infuriating.

Once I get a taste of any of the content I'll let y'all know.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 07:17:44 AM »
Do I even need to say it?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 08:15:12 AM »
That's weird. The game installed perfectly well for me from the discs after which it updated for a few minutes and that's it.

STEAM is bipolar.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 11:36:17 AM »
X, I got that message when I bought Quake 2 and tried to install it. Have you tried simply quitting out of the program entirely and opening it again? It worked for me.

/obligatory "Steam sucks" comment

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 11:44:22 AM »
Do I even need to say it?

No, but say it anyway.  The hate needs to be kept piping hot.  (Notice I didn't say "steaming"?)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »
X, I got that message when I bought Quake 2 and tried to install it. Have you tried simply quitting out of the program entirely and opening it again? It worked for me.

/obligatory "Steam sucks" comment
Thanks Ghandi, that seemed to do the trick but I had to install each piece individually i.e. install Episode 1, close Steam, run installer again, install Portal, close steam, etc. That was the case with the updates as well. If I had all of them updating at the same time Steam would just stop downloading and give me the same "servers busy" message; I had to disable auto-update on all but one at a time.

As Que alluded and Ghandi stated "Steam sucks." Frankly, I'm having less trouble with it than G4WL. I'm having a bit of difficulty accepting G4WL.

Anyway, the good news is they're finally installed! Portal is amazing! TF2 is beautifully crafted (haven't had a chance to experience actual MP gameplay yet). Episode 1 is alright so far. I'm enjoying Portal the most so far, it is a real jewel in this pack.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
Okay, for all those who have played and finished Half-Life 2, Episode One, and Episode Two....
AND/OR those who just don't really care about Spoilers for the Entire HL2 Series (which is up to the end of HL2: Episode Two, so far)
Click the spoiler tag and check the link that comes w/ it!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »
Wow that "article" was like something out of Penthouse Letters.  "Oh Valve *schlurp* we love you so much *schlurp* *schlurp*  You guys make the most awesomest games. *schlurp* Are you bad at anything? *schlurp* Everything you do is so awesome"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 08:54:31 PM »
 ;D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 09:21:48 PM »
Games are terrible at endings. In fact, game endings are always shit. Why aren't Valve's?
Are we playing games from the same company? The HL series endings are all pretty shitty. Portals was better mainly because of the song.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 09:34:08 PM »
Wow that "article" was like something out of Penthouse Letters.  "Oh Valve *schlurp* we love you so much *schlurp* *schlurp*  You guys make the most awesomest games. *schlurp* Are you bad at anything? *schlurp* Everything you do is so awesome"

AHAHA.  I just read it and agree completely.  The fucked up thing is that they're not even praising Valve on the things they did well, they're praising them on stuff that's either totally insignificant or they did horribly.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
I want to say something negative, but I just can't even find the words anymore.