Author Topic: Game pricing in Europe and why it sucks.  (Read 1691 times)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
Game pricing in Europe and why it sucks.
« on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »
Okay, this was in another thread, but it was a bit too threadjacky. But let me just focus on this for a moment, because this always bugs the almighty shit out of me.

"available in North America for $9.99 and most European territories for €9.99"

FUCKING BULLSHIT. EXCHANGE RATES MOTHERFUCKERS DO YOU KNOW THEM.

Allow me to just throw in this, about the UK release of Rock Band:

"The Instrument Edition of the game will retail for GBP 129.99 / EUR 169 featuring the drum kit, guitar and microphone peripherals – but users will still have to fork out a further GBP 49.99 / EUR 69.99 for the actual game, bringing the total bundle to around GBP 180.00.

The game, bundled with all peripherals, sells in the US for USD 169 – equivalent to around GBP 85 / EUR 107."

FUCKING WHAT
|

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Game pricing in Europe and why it sucks.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 07:31:11 PM »
agreed. it makes me rage. a lot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
Yeah, I've always wondered about that as well.  It doesn't make any sense, but I always figured it had something to do with some factor I wasn't aware of.  Maybe that factor is just... greed?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »
I can only guess that because the euro is worth so much more than the dollar, they are jacking up the prices in order to get the same amount of revenue.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 12:40:07 AM »
But you guys get free healthcare and school through college, right?  There's more than VAT that has to figure into that.  Companies probably pay high taxes, not just individuals?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 12:55:13 AM »
Woah.. That is ridiculous.

The games we get here are imported from Europe but the prices are generally equivalent, even to the US prices.

I picked up Assassin's Creed PC for 149 AED which translates to 40 USD and roughly 20 GBP. I generally give it a $5 USD curve or so.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 06:34:05 AM »
But you guys get free healthcare and school through college, right?  There's more than VAT that has to figure into that.  Companies probably pay high taxes, not just individuals?

not really sure about what taxes companies have to pay, but the fact that that's the first time i've ever heard that as a potential reason suggests to me it's probably not the case. we used to have the same problem with music cds, but since the advent of the internet shopping, ease of importing and the fact you don't have to pay customs taxes on anything less than about £20, the retail prices have mysteriously dropped by about 50%. as far as i'm concerned it's price fixing and it needs to be looked into by our various governments.

also - no, we don't get free college. we get student loans that drive most kids into heavy debt for the next decade or two of their lives. there are concessions made for kids from low income families, but it certainly isn't free.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »
Some places get free college.  Ireland, for instance.  The primary difficulty there is paying for all the other expenses during school (room and board, etc.).  The taxes there are very high, though, and gas prices are through the roof compared to even what you see here in the states.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »
You guys should move here.  The British Pound is pretty much like gold compared to the U.S. Dollar.  You'd be rich.  :)