Author Topic: Scarface: Game - NEWS: Radical loses 100 employees; Scarface 2 game panned maybe  (Read 3448 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 03:06:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Scarface: The World Is Yours Reviews
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 08, 2006, 01:51:37 AM »
Just saw it today, and right off the bat I can say the graphics are not imrpessive. They don't really compete with GTA. The game is literally GTA Vice City with a Scarface theme. It really feels like just a huge mod.

On a good note though the cinematics are good, and considering the low quality graphics the game runs smooth as butter.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 12, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »
1Up's review added for the PC version at the beginning of this thread.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 12, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
Added GameSpot's review, who ain't too impressed w/ it....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »
Honestly I couldn't bring myself to give a damn about the game even before the reviews wrote it off. I just hated the movie... it was about some jackass asshole who stole his way to being rich.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 01:22:21 PM »
I liked the movie.. I just don't like the game very much. Gamespot's review pretty much expresses my plight with it. Once you get over the "Tony Montana" factor, the game is dry, frustrating, and excruciatingly boring. The devs made some very poor choices. I'd easily ignore the graphics if the gameplay was worthwhile. Now it's just ugly with no personality.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 01:44:19 PM »
I still haven't seen this movie.....

...And I should mention, I do like gangster/mob movies.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »
It's a pretty good movie.. Shows how power can corrupt.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 02:38:28 PM »
Say hello to my leetle friend!

The movie has become a cult hit.  It's one of those where you can watch certain scenes many times over, but sitting through the whole thing in one shot is out of the question.

I can't imagine why they'd want to do a game about it so many years later.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »
It's a pretty good movie.. Shows how power can corrupt.

Tony Montana was corrupt as hell right out of the Mariel boat lift.  He just went from a nobody to a dirty gangster as a result of his crooked ambitions mixing with Miami.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 02:43:18 PM »
I can't imagine why they'd want to do a game about it so many years later.
I bet the game developers and the publisher want to try to make some $$ -- not some, but a lot of $$ -- just by using a well-known license/IP such as Scarface, no matter how good the game turns out or doesn't. ;)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 02:58:58 PM »
I thought it might have had something to do with The Godfather: The Game. Like all of a suddent they wanna revive a whol buncha old movies as games.. Someone made a Reservoir Dogs but apparently it sucked donkey balls. Why the Hell do they insist on make them GTA clones?? Why not go for a Max Payne style game with an actual story!! And if they insist on make a GTA clone, they should learn from Mafia. That was a high quality game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »
And if they insist on make a GTA clone, they should learn from Mafia. That was a high quality game.

Mafia was outstanding.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »
I thought it might have had something to do with The Godfather: The Game. Like all of a suddent they wanna revive a whol buncha old movies as games..
I got GameHead on from Spike TV, and it looks like there's gonna be a Dirty Harry video game....

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 07:10:38 AM »
I thought it might have had something to do with The Godfather: The Game. Like all of a suddent they wanna revive a whol buncha old movies as games.. Someone made a Reservoir Dogs but apparently it sucked donkey balls. Why the Hell do they insist on make them GTA clones?? Why not go for a Max Payne style game with an actual story!! And if they insist on make a GTA clone, they should learn from Mafia. That was a high quality game.

I too have noticed everyone wanting to do GTA clones all of a sudden.  It might be that this trend started right after the success of the 3D GTAs, and just now everyone who jumped on the bandwagon is finally getting results to market.  Another one of these is Gangs of London (PSP) which I got to try out recently.  It's completely derivative, but not a bad effort.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »
Scarface: The World is Yours (PC) gets patched up to Version 1.02, a 13 MB download.

This update brings the North American retail version of Scarface: The World Is Yours up to v1.02. Note that this update will not function with digitally downloaded versions of the game.

FIXES
- Fixed a very rarely occurring bug where Tony cannot get into a vehicle after death reset.
- Fixed a DirectX resource crash bug that occurred with certain video card drivers.
- Fixed a bug that caused a decor item being held in the mansion to disappear.
- Fixed a bug where pressing 'X' during the tutorial could lock up the keyboard.
- Fixed Display Options not saving correctly.
- Fixed a soundcard crash on system without a compatible soundcard or DirectSound.
- Fixed a bug where Tony is stuck in a spin.
- Added additional safety checks for unknown controllers.
- Added an option to reset the controller back to the default configuration.

IMPROVEMENTS
- Improved image streaming problems in the exotics menu.
- Sped up loading and saving of profiles.
- Changed default resolution to 800x600.”

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 03:14:24 PM »
Good fixes and improvements. Too bad they don't do anything to remedy the boring gameplay.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 12:38:32 AM »
I have this game now on the PC.

Why did they make it so you can't change the game controls on the Keyboard for configuration purposes?!?!?!

I don't usually use WSAD for movement, I usually use the cursor keys....I prefer that method. I don't mind WSAD, but I am old school -- I prefer the cursors.

If they change that in a patch, allowing me to configure controls and all, that would be nice....Most games do this, these days....

The start is pretty explosive, at least. Looks like it's off to a good start on that part there, at least.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 01:13:41 AM »
Knowing D, he bought it.. which begs the question... why? :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 08:38:02 AM »
I have this game now on the PC.

Why did they make it so you can't change the game controls on the Keyboard for configuration purposes?!?!?!

I don't usually use WSAD for movement, I usually use the cursor keys....I prefer that method. I don't mind WSAD, but I am old school -- I prefer the cursors.

If they change that in a patch, allowing me to configure controls and all, that would be nice....Most games do this, these days....

The start is pretty explosive, at least. Looks like it's off to a good start on that part there, at least.

I think the new patch v1.2 fixes the control issue.

I tried playing it with my joypad too, but I can't frickin' stand aiming with the pad. I know there's an auto-aim, but you get bonus points for aiming manually, and sometimes when I'm running through I don't wanna have to stop auto-aim, adjust the crosshair, then shoot. Overall I didn't like the game. It came off as rather cheap, dated, and boring.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 25, 2006, 08:57:40 AM »
I think the new patch v1.2 fixes the control issue.

I tried playing it with my joypad too, but I can't frickin' stand aiming with the pad. I know there's an auto-aim, but you get bonus points for aiming manually, and sometimes when I'm running through I don't wanna have to stop auto-aim, adjust the crosshair, then shoot. Overall I didn't like the game. It came off as rather cheap, dated, and boring.

I threw the patch in; can't change the controls that are configured on the KB.

On their official boards, they are "looking into it."

Quote from: Pug
Knowing D, he bought it.. which begs the question... why?
It was $15 @ Best Buy yesterday. I wanted to give it a try.

I said, "What the hell, only $15" basically.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »
Scarface: The World is Yours (game) sells ONE MILLION over all of its systems

Scarface deals 1 million copies
Kilos and kilos of game based on film about Cuban cocaine kingpin sold; Sierra Entertainment title number-one seller in October.
By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted Nov 28, 2006 4:43 pm PT

Earlier this month, Epic Games and Microsoft touted the fact that Gears of War had sold more than 1 million copies. Not to be outdone, Vivendi Games subsidiary Sierra Entertainment today matched that stat with its own game, Scarface: The World Is Yours.

According to numbers from sales trackers NPD, the multiplatform game was the overall top-selling title in the US in October, as well as the number-one PlayStation 2 and Xbox game for the month. The handheld version, Scarface: Money. Power. Respect., topped the PSP charts for the same time period.

Despite universal sales success, critical reception was incredibly varied for the GTA clone. However, gamers appeared to be more consistently appreciative of Scarface. GameSpot users rated the game an 8.5 out of 10, the equivalent of a full point higher than the Metacritic score of 75.

The game was originally planned to appear on the Xbox 360 but was scrapped. Gamers can get Tony Montana on their 360s in another way, though. Scarface gamerpics and a dashboard theme are now available on Xbox Live Marketplace for 80 points ($1) and 150 points ($1.87), respectively.

Scarface: The World Is Yours is rated M for Mature and is available on the PC, PS2, and Xbox. Scarface: Money. Power. Respect. for the PSP is also rated M. For more information, read GameSpot's review of the console and handheld versions of the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Scarface: The World Is Yours Thread -- NEWS: The Game sells 1 MILLION copies
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2006, 10:35:24 PM »
A lot of Pacino fans out there. It's kinda sad that Pacino didn't even voice the character. Although that's probably because he can't.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Scarface: The World Is Yours Thread -- NEWS: The Game sells 1 MILLION copies
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, December 05, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
A lot of Pacino fans out there. It's kinda sad that Pacino didn't even voice the character. Although that's probably because he can't.

I finally saw the movie. Yeah, pretty good movie, I must say.

I sure hope that once I do start the game, it's as good as the movie was....

(I kinda' doubt that'll happen, though I hope the game's at least decent, hehe....)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, December 05, 2006, 06:38:45 PM »

Why is he alright? But this will just encourage developers of popular movie licensed games to just be lazy. Did you guys know one of the Harry Potter games is one of the best selling PC games of all time?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, December 05, 2006, 06:41:44 PM »
What you you have against Harry Potter? That game kicked a---I mean, uh...yeah, stupid Harry Potter.... :-\

:-[

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, December 05, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
I have nothing against the books. They are good light reading, though I am not too fond of the movies. :P But yes, my bro was pretty young at the time and really wanted the game for his PS1, so I had a go as well. :P

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Scarface: The World Is Yours Game -- NEWS: Scarface 2 game panned maybe???
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »
Cool, a sequel to a game no one cares about or even fucking played in a thread that derailed to talking about Harry Potter. Whoopee.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Scarface: The World Is Yours Game -- NEWS: Scarface 2 game panned maybe???
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
Haha, the man speaks the truth.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野