Author Topic: Shiren the Wanderer  (Read 3242 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Shiren the Wanderer
« on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
I love dungeon crawls. Going in, killing things, grabbing loot, all that good stuff. Roguelikes are all about that, in a nice turn-based fashion that gives you time to think about your moves. It feels leisurely, yet the games tend to be super punishing. Its an odd blend.

So I've been looking into more dungeon crawlers, especially for my DS. I've got Nethack on here, and POWDER (which is especially made for the GBA/DS). They are fun but...sometimes you want to play something that looks good. I like ASCII modes, it makes things easy to identify, but some nice graphics and music can help keep you interested in a game.

So anyway, I was looking around for dungeon crawlers for my DS. This topic came up on a forum I was reading and there were several suggestions, like Contact (which I haven't tried yet) and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I tried out the pokemon one, and its pretty cool. Turn-based, randomly generated, all that good stuff. Its not nearly as deep as other roguelikes, but I didn't really expect it to be. Looking up more information on the game I find out its from a long series of Mystery Dungeon games, most of them never released outside of Japan.

Shiren the Wanderer (Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Furai no Shiren) is the 2nd game in the series, released on the SNES. You can read a bit about it here. I found an english translation and gave it a spin, and its awesome. Like traditional roguelikes, you only have one life. When you "die", you pass out and are sent back to the starting village. Your name goes up on the scoreboard in town, and you are reset back to level 1, lose your items, etc. Its almost as if you restarted the game. However, there is a Warehouse you can use. Stuff you put in there you can keep. You get items to transport other items to the warehouse, or have messengers deliver them. Do you use the cool sword you picked up or stash it for later?

The game has some really nice art and music to go along with it, and I'm having a blast. Turns out they remade the game for the DS in Japan, and recently announced its coming to the US! Totally awesome. Even the Wii is getting its own version, so hopefully that comes over as well. And there seems to be a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 on DS out in Japan...hope that comes as well.

So check it out. The SNES translation is here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Shiren the Wanderer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
I do believe you have just made me a very, very happy man.

EDIT - Let's both play and compare notes.  You're probably better at Roguelikes than I am, but I imagine a few shared tales of horrible death could be pretty entertaining.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 05:51:05 PM »
Well, my first time out I made it to the second forest area. I was fighting along, leveling up, things were going my way.

*click*

Trap spawns 5 bad guys around me. I die in 3 turns.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 08:13:31 PM »
I just checked out the Japanese DS version. Its pretty much an exact remake of the SNES version. It seems to be a little easier at the start. Theres a grassy tutorial-type area at the start before you reach the first village, so you level up and get some items before you even start the areas you start in on the SNES. Graphics are tweaked a little, but it really is the same game.

Oh, and if you're interested in an english DS game that similar, Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja is another one to check out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 11:26:23 PM »
Ah, back to roguelikes.  I wasn't even aware of the genre until that Castlevania one some time back.  This Shiren SNES game escaped my notice entirely.  It took me a while to locate it.  After just wandering around the town a bit, I ventured out and got summarily creamed.  These games don't pull any punches, do they?  My lack of experience doesn't help.  The translation is pretty good so far.

The full Japanese name is Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren, in case that info helps anyone.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »
My first death occurred on the first forest stage, approximately three moves in.  I spawned, was surrounded by about 4 Kid Tengus, and these promptly destroyed me.  The end.  Died another fairly legitimate death on the second forest stage because I did something stupid, but I have to say that now I find the game to actually be pretty easy.  I just made it to the Summit town, whatever it's called... and this is on my third try.  Haven't really even been in dire straights, though I saw a few times when things could have turned sour and there was one close call.  Still, it doesn't seem nearly as hard as it should.  Maybe I've just been lucky, though.  I found a +3 katana early on that's been kicking a lot of ass.

The game seems awesome either way.  Though I'm having an issue - when I do the "quit" option, it supposedly saves my progress, right?  So I then select "adventure" from the menu, select my save, and choose to continue... and I start back at the opening valley.  I tried both options several times just in case they mistranslated the wrong option or something, but no matter what I choose I always start over.  What gives?  Is this an error of some kind or am I misunderstanding what they mean by "continue"?  Save states aren't a good option either as I'm playing on my PSP and the emulator has a sound issue where loading save states kills the sound.  The only way around that is to save the game after, then reset the game and load... but obviously I can't do that now.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 23, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
I'll check into that. I've just been using save states.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 12:15:50 AM »
It seems like it would be a problem with the emulator. The game saves after every single action you take. You don't even have to choose "Quit" from the menu, its already saved. I tested it by loading it in zsnes, walking around a bit in the dungeon area and simply resetting the emu. Load it back up and choose "Continue adventure" and it drops be back into the exact spot I was before. I found a forum thread from last year where this problem popped up on snes9x emu, which appears to be the emu that got ported to PSP. Thread mentioned it might be a loading issue rather than a saving one.

*EDIT*

No need for three posts in a row. I just got to the part of the 1UP Yours podcast where they briefly mention Shiren the Wanderer for DS. I had to chuckle with the one guy saying "These games are garbage, do not buy them. Stay the fuck away." which sadly is probably how most people feel about it (outside Japan, anyway).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »
Well, fuck.  That's no good.  I guess I'm boned, then.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 04:10:20 PM »
While ZSNES is the better one, I use Snes9X when I want emulation in a window.  The latest version (1.51) has no problem with normal saves or continuing here.  Maybe there's a newer version of the PSP port?

OK, so set a n00b straight.  How do I make any longterm progress here?  When I die, it's as if I didn't play at all, except for the scoreboard.  I go back to the Valley Inn, losing all items and levels I had gained.  I've gotten better at staying alive, but even cheating with save states I end up dead from starvation, since I can't find a way back whence I came (which seems odd--why can't I retrace my steps to town?) and I don't get anywhere else.  I'm stuck in the dungeon levels.  Is there a way out?  (There must be.)

I read something about sending items back to the warehouse, so I don't end up losing them.  I haven't figured this out either.  Does it work if you die, or do those things disappear too?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
You can't go back to town, but there are other towns you reach as you progress through the dungeon (the 2nd town is the 5th floor). Though I haven't played much since I reached it. There is supposed to be a pot that you can find that if you place items into it they get transported to the warehouse. You can also meet "Carriers" that will run one item to the warehouse. Items inside the warehouse stay there even if you die. I havent come across either of these things yet, though.

But yeah...die, everything you carry disappears and you lose all the levels you've gained. Its almost as if the game resets except the stuff you've managed to place in the warehouse. But people will remember your visits, so new people are supposed to show up, say new things, give items, etc in the various towns as you play. I take it the ultimate goal is to be able to go from the starting village to the ending without dieing...one run. Which is typical for roguelikes, except other ones dont even let you keep items for future plays.

I put a little more time into Izuna. Similar to Shiren, you lose items when you die, but you keep your levels which makes returning to dungeons easier. Theres also items you find (and I've found several in the first dungeon even) that teleport you back out to town.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 04:38:25 PM »
I see.  I'm on the 4th floor, unless I accept death and fall back to the beginning.  I'll try to reach that 5th floor with the next town.  Thanks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 09:52:43 PM »
I wish I could give it more time, but as I said, I didn't find this very hard.  Certainly nothing like a usual game of Nethack.  I was playing that again today to get my fix, and it turns out the PSP port, once you get past the clumsy controls and learn how to actually perform all the functions, is *really fucking good*.  So I'm not as sad about not being able to play Shiren as I was.  Though that game is definitely more attractive and has the story and music stuff going for it (the music is really quite good, don't you think? very traditional, reminiscent of Okami).  I hope to give it a shot sometime later, maybe on the PC when I have nothing else to do (yeah, right).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »
I have to give Nethack on DS a spin again. Just have to get used to the controls. Though, I'd much prefer ADOM or Crawl (hopefully someone updates the Crawl port, doesn't really work on new flashcards).

I'm really liking Izuna. Fought the first boss...hes a tough one. One thing I wish is if they had some indicator of when my inventory is getting full. Sucks stepping on a new item to find out its full, moving, dropping an item, and then picking up the new one. Waste of turns. At least you dont get hungry in this one.

Speaking of Izuna, I can't see why this wallpaper was pulled from the official US site. Seems perfectly fine to me.... :D

*EDIT*

I just had an interesting thought. Graphics for roguelikes divides people sometimes. Some will only play ASCII, some only play tiles, and some...really don't care that much either way. Which is where I am. Sometimes I like the "detail" you get with simple ASCII. That "o" is an orc...but the green "o" is a regular one and the pink "o" is a mage. A simple palette swap with a tile just doesn't seem to cut it, so you'd need custom tiles for everything. And lets face it, most tilesets suck.

Plus with tiles you cant see the whole dungeon at once. Its doesn't sound that important, but it is your map. Know where you've been and where you need to go to explore further instead of wandering aimlessly or brining up a separate map screen. One Nethack engine called Noegnud was 3D, so you could zoom out of the tiles and pan around and stuff. Works ok, but when you zoom out of the tiles you cant see the detail.

What if they had a system in place like Galactic Civilization 2? World is 3D, but its on a 2D plane. 3D is nice because the graphics naturally "scale" with distance. And, jsut like GalCiv2, when you zoom out far enough switch the graphics to the simple icons (or in this case, ascii text) to show the whole map with "detail".

Man, I'd love that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 24, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »
Izuna looks fun.  No DS for me, though.

In other news, it looks like Angband is on PSP as well.  As I recall it's a somewhat Tolkien-themed Roguelike based heavily on MORIA, which is what I used to play when I was younger.  MORIA was my greatest obsession for like a year or something.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
So I finally picked up the DS version of this, and holy hell this game is amazingly super awesome.  It's one of those things that seems really incredibly simple up front, and has some very basic concepts, but the longer you play and the more you see, the more you realize how deep it actually is and how much you can do.  It's pretty insane.

But yeah, I can say definitively that this is everything I always wished the older roguelikes were, the ones I used to play in years gone by.  It's got a nice soundtrack, beautiful graphics, a little bit of story kinda', a sense of progression that lasts through the many deaths you'll suffer, many incentives to keep trying, and lots of ways to use the system to try and give yourself an advantage.

Really cool stuff.  If any of you were curious about it, give it a try.  It's like $20 new now, and while it certainly isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, if you like this kind of thing you'll totally be into it.

EDIT - Here's a great review that sort of details why it's awesome and also why it totally isn't for some people.  I don't find it frustrating, I just enjoy the inherent movement of it, but some would disagree (as evidenced by many reviewers who just bash it like they forgot the definition of objectivity).  Anyway, it's a fun read.  I don't entirely agree with his assertion that it's like a puzzle game, but at the same time it kind of makes sense to look at it that way.  Certain situations are best approached with a foreknowledge of their potential circumstances and the ways in which the most extreme negatives can be circumvented.  For instance, I learned on my last outing that your equipment can be rendered almost entirely useless if a trap rusts it, but not only that, there are a few select enemies which cause rust randomly as well.  When facing them or going through areas known to have rust traps, it's best to swap out your nice Katana +3 with a gold weapon, which does far less damage but won't rust.  And if you've taken pains to build that gold weapon up at blacksmiths over the course of a few trips, it might actually be able to hold its own when push comes to shove.

Anyway... uh... yeah.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 12:59:14 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 20, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
Everytime I come to this board I think that everyone is playing a joke on me by disagreeing with everything I think. I absolutely hated this game! If I made a top 10 list of my most hated games, this would be in the top 5. Like I told those ridiculous people on GameFAQs board (gamefaqs harvests the worst fanboys ever): there is a difference between a difficult game and a frustrating game. This game is purely frustrating and I hated just about everything about it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 20, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
My impression after the roguelikes I've tried, this one included, is that the genre is innately frustrating.  So it's not for me either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Friday, June 20, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
Do people just not like a challenge anymore?  The game isn't forgiving, but no roguelike ever has been.  Cobra has it right, the genre is supposed to be... well, not frustrating necessarily, but very difficult.  The idea is that you can pick it up whenever, make a character, and just go tromping off into a horrible dungeon of death for a while, see how far you can make it.  Beating it was never really the point unless you were just addled somehow.  So Shiren is different because it presents some things that make it a bit more like a traditional game, which just confuses people who don't understand that it's a roguelike.  So it's got the framework of just being a random dungeon you get to traipse around in, where the point is less to beat it and more just to have fun killing shit and finding treasure and trying to get the highest score you can (it's almost a little arcadey that way, trying to beat your best score, and Shiren has online leaderboards too).  The difference with this game is those other trappings that aren't inherent to roguelikes, where you've got a sense of progression and story because every time you go through the dungeon, there's a chance at something new and different (townspeople have some little stories, you can kinda' "unlock" companions who may travel and fight with you, you "unlock" new powerful items and stuff that you can buy and will then start appearing in dungeons, etc.), so this just adds a little icing on the cake to the inherent fun of going into a random dungeon, and it gives you some individual challenges which can be spread across multiple games.  And since you do kind of progress a bit as you go, it becomes easier to get that "beating the game" thing within reach, so it's definitely a lot more a goal here than it would be with Rogue, Moria, Angband, Nethack, what have you.

I think most of the problem is purely perception.  Shiren is an odd little hybrid of a game, as are most of the Japanese roguelikes, and they present a very different face from the really old-school ones.  Those felt more like Pac Man or Space Invaders or something, and if you added a little bit of story and persistence to Pac Man, some people would play it and think, "Man, this game sucks!  Every time I die I have to start over!"

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 12:22:18 AM »
Some of the reviewers compared Shiren to a game of chess, but chess is based on skill and this game is based on luck. I like hard games, right now I'm playing Etrian Odessey 2. The game is hard and unforgiving, but it has rules that it follows and every counter has an attack. When I played Shiren, I died a handful of times because a monster turned me into a riceball and there was nothing I could do to fix it.

I like roguelike games, I had fun with Izuna and I've spent about 32 hours on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, but even those games are based on rules and not complete randomness.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 12:36:02 AM »
The big difference to me is that PacMan is played for score.  You can't win.  There is no goal other than to survive as long as possible, and rack up points.  The measure of your success is one number, which can be directly compared to your own previous best, or the best of competitors.  Any game which has a long progression toward a goal is a different animal entirely from such endless arcade games.  If the object is to reach a goal though varied tasks, having to repeat things I've already done can become frustrating.  For example, GTA IV is not a hard game, but it is a frustrating game because of the frequent need to repeat sequences of non-challenging, time-consuming preliminaries, while the adrenaline from the previous attempt at the truly challenging part is still flowing.  (I cannot overstate the need for checkpoints in this franchise.  The design is seriously flawed without them.)  Difficulty and degree of frustration don't necessarily go hand in hand.

It bugs the hell out of me to lose any significant amount of progress, and I look at character-developing RPGs as a longterm activity which should allow all significant progress to be saved.  Roguelikes are an unwelcome anomaly, I guess.  I tried them, and I did not much like them.  It doesn't mean I don't like a challenge.

Edit:  OK, so nick has a different complaint.  Can't save and random unfairness creeps in?  That would suck even worse.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
I believe being turned into a riceball is only temporary. I got turned into a riceball and just ran away and after a bit I changed back. Its best to deal with that enemy from a distance.

Funny, nick, you seemed to like Pokemon Mystery Dungeons since thats part of the same game line as Shiren (Shiren being much older). I didn't like the Pokemon ones as much. I felt they were too easy.

As for cobra, you dont really lose progress. There is some persistence in Shiren with unlocking sidekicks, story stuff that opens new quests, you have the warehouses to store everything. So its not entirely like the game resets to zero every time you die.

As for leveling, I've heard Shiren described as "The character doesn't level up, the player does." Any run you make in the game could take you to the end. Everyone starts at level 1. You just have to play enough to know what to do, learn the tricks, maybe save some stuff in the warehouse to give you a boost at the start. You just need the knowledge of the enemies and items and how to effectively use them, then you can beat the game. The randomness is there to keep it interesting.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 01:10:07 AM »
Well, these aren't character-developing RPGs.  Not really.  You gain a few levels and you find stuff.  That hardly counts in my book.  Yeah, you can lose equipment you may have spent some time developing by storing it in warehouses and upgrading it over the course of several games, but if you're actually smart enough to go to that much trouble (and do it properly), chances are you're good enough to beat the game and have played it enough times to become familiar with what you need where.

And again, the original Rogue and games of its ilk weren't about "winning".  Shiren was the first roguelike I ever heard of that had anything resembling a story or an ending (since before that I had played nothing beyond ASCII-graphics roguelikes or things not far evolved from that), and I think it's great.  It keeps things fresh and gives you further incentive to want to get deeper in the dungeon, beyond just reaching the high score, but it isn't some hugely deep story where it's absolutely imperative to your enjoyment that you "find out what happens" or whatever.  Plus it does get a little easier as you go, because nearly every time you adventure out you gain new options or people who can help you out.  Combine that with progressing knowledge of what the game throws at you, and the playing field becomes quite fair.

I fully contest nick's assertion because of this.  Nearly every single death I've had in the game has been 100% my own fault.  Sure, it's possible to get boned, but that happens very rarely once you've been through the dungeons a couple times.  You learn what monsters are there, what equipment you need to defend against the particularly nasty circumstances, and how to get the hell out if you don't have enough protection against something.  I think I've died maybe 11 or 12 times in Shiren since I picked up the DS version, and I only felt like 1 of those was cheap.  Every other death I saw exactly what I did wrong and why I was stupid to have overlooked what would have saved my ass.  Yeah, it's a challenge, and you definitely have to pay a lot of attention and eventually get to the point where you know what the hell you're doing, but I think most players will tell you that 90% of user deaths are because of user error.

I know why you guys don't like it, and don't think I'm telling you you're wrong.  These games definitely aren't for everybody.  Like Cobra, you compare this to how GTAIV makes you repeat stuff you've done already, and that's frustrating, but that isn't the point with Shiren.  These games are really about having fun in dungeons and seeing how far you can get, and your early stages should never be looked at as "Oh no, I have to repeat this, how boring".  You should be wide awake in the midst of the early levels plotting your adventure's development, learning which items to save and which to use, and leveling up and getting money as much as possible while making preparations for the later stages, adapting your play style to whatever stuff you're finding.  Just like any other roguelike.  The whole fun is in going through the dungeon just because it's fun to go through a dungeon to see how far you get, and if the first thing you do after dying in a roguelike is "Oh man, I have to play level 1 again?" then you're definitely off course and playing a game that just wasn't made for you.  But again, to me that's like saying "Shit, back to level 1?" when you die in Space Invaders.  It's only slightly different with Shiren because some crazy Japanese dudes decided to get more involved in its setting and stuff.  But since you *have* to die *many multiple* times in order to even *solve* most of the side quests, it's simply a reason to keep you coming back for more when you inevitably fail, and even once you "beat" the game there's still an eternal (or nearly so) dungeon awaiting you at the end so you can continue on and on and on to get higher and higher scores.

EDIT - Well, idol said most of what I did, just shorter, and he posted first... but uh... yeah.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 01:35:04 AM »
I like the Pokemon version better because I have more control of whats going on. I tried to run when I was turned into a rice ball, but if the enemy is next to you, you're screwed. Not to mention you can't use any items, at least in the Pokemon game, Pikachu will watch my ass.

I dunno, I like it better when the game doesn't put insurmountable odds against you and calls it depth. I'm sure I can explain this better later.