Author Topic: Dawn of War 2 coming?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Dawn of War 2 coming?
« on: Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
From BluesNews, rumors are surfacing of a DoW2 could be surfacing in the next PC Gamer Magazine.

Dawn of War 2 Dawning? [March 11, 2008, 4:12 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

A post on the Gamereplays.org forums points the way to this scan of the teaser page for next month's issue of PC Gamer Magazine that seems to hit at a Dawn of War II announcement (thanks Gamer's Hell). The image is a silhouette of what seems to be a space marine from Relic's Warhammer 40,000 RTS game, and the caption reads: "Secret Exclusive - Are you ready for a New Dawn?" More should be revealed soon enough, the issue is set to go on sale on April 10.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Dawn of War 2 coming?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »
Shit I'd upgrade my PC for that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 03:44:44 AM »
Cool. I gotta get a dose of Soulstorm first :P

I'm still playing Company of Heroes too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
You knew it had to happen.  I wonder what races they'll include up front?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
You knew it had to happen.  I wonder what races they'll include up front?
I think a lot of the fans are screaming for Tyranids. Though I remember in an older thread you mentioned how complicated it would be to try to work the Tyranids into it, as they are a very complex race. Still it might be interesting.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I think the general hope is to have something on the level of Company of Heroes, but with melee combat worked in to be more Warhammerish. Think about how awesome that could look for a second. Think the intro to Dark Crusade going real time. That'll be amazing. At that point, the game itself could be worthless; I would just play to see the war.

Tyranids would be hell on any system if used at that level of detail, but people have been calling for them so much you have to wonder what Relic is going to do. That's especially true when you consider this going to come out in the shadow of Starcraft II. It'll be back enough will all those people simply don't know any better saying it's ripping off the Zerg. It could almost work against them. Thankfully with Dawn of War people are generally wiser to the Warhammer/Starcraft situation, but there will still be lame cries of copy-cat.

My best guess is that I have about one to two years before this hits. I'll have to upgrade then. Guess I better start saving.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »
YES!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 04:40:03 AM »
Oh sweet! Tyranids are in!

This will ensure the happiness and harmony of Sy & Que for decades to come!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 09:21:09 PM »
As well as me.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
So more details are coming out.

So, this is turning a lot more into something like Diablo with more characters, or even more like a lot of the hero missions in WCIII. That's fine with me. A big part of Warhammer is building your army and being able to develop your troops RPG style lends itself to the same feelings. They're still being pretty tight lipped about the multiplayer, but I bet you it'll play out a lot like a real time version of the tabletop game now. Units will have a set cost in points and games will allow so many points per player. That'll be pretty damned cool if they pull it off.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 09:24:33 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 08:39:14 AM »
That will be awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »
I think I've said this before, but it's also nice that the game won't tread the exact same ground as its predecessor, which means people can still go back and play those games without feeling like there's something better they have to run out and buy.  Their investment in the game and all the expansions isn't at all wasted.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »
Jeff Lydell talks about PC gaming.

Relic: PC gaming will never die
By Wesley Yin-Poole - 12/12/2008 - 4:37pm GMT

But piracy is not going away.
Warhammer 40:000: Dawn of War II screenshot

PC gaming will never die, the producer of upcoming PC only RTS Dawn of War 2 has bullishly claimed.

Speaking in an interview with VideoGamer.com, to be published next week, associate producer Jeff Lydell said that while game piracy is "not going away", as long as people want PCs they'll want PC games.

The death of PC gaming has been one of 2008's hot topics, with a number of high profile game developers bemoaning PC game sales and the threat of piracy.

Recently Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux told VideoGamer.com that the PC gamer market was "in tatters". LucasArts explained to us in an interview from earlier in the year that it wasn't doing a PC version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because of the vast differences in power of PCs in people's homes and the lack of scalability of the game.

Earlier in the year Ubisoft Shanghai creative director Michael de Plater told VG247 that a PC version of EndWar would most likely be shipping alongside the console SKUs if it wasn't for rampant PC piracy, and that copyright theft is essentially destroying the PC games market.

Lydell told VideoGamer.com: "PC gaming has been 'dead' since 1994 and it continues to 'die' every year. But that's obviously not true, because there are people playing PC games. It's just that we're seeing changes in the types of PC games they're playing. A lot of the things that the PC had that were exclusive to it, like online experiences, are starting to come over to consoles - so it's less of a hold-out for that kind of social interaction. There's Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network - even the Wii has online components. So back in the day when Quake was defining how gamers interacted with each other online, PC gaming was 'dying' then! And I'd consider that to be the golden days. The N64 didn't kill it, the PlayStation 2 didn't kill it, and I don't think any of the upcoming consoles will kill it."

When asked if he thought PC gaming will ever die, Lydell replied: "No. It'll die the day we stop having PCs! Right now, we all want to have PCs. We're seeing some changes where people are adopting laptops more. Maybe in the future when we're using integrated devices that aren't quite PCs, we'll see games on those instead. But PC gaming isn't dying."

On the issue of piracy, he admitted: "It's certainly a threat to triple A gaming. It makes developers and publishers reluctant to invest large amounts of money in a just-pc product, unless there's some form of guarantee. Sometimes they hedge their bets with cross-platform developments, sometimes it's persistent online stuff that you need to subscribe to.

"But piracy is not going away," he added. "As an industry, piracy is something we have to work around, not something to try and eliminate - because that's a losing fight."

EDIT:
DOW2 preview right here from Videogamer.com

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »
My gods... that was glorious.

So are they allowing base building in this one? Or will they just allowing it in multiplayer only?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »
Base building more or less just comes down to putting caps on the control points, maybe building a couple resource structures around them (like power generators), and turrets. I'm sorta thinking the turret is a special ability for the techmarine though. I think everyone more or less just have their initial command structure and that handles all the unit creation. So, it's somewhere between Company of Heroes and stuff like Myth where you just had your army and ran with it.

From what I know, the single player will be more like the hero missions in WarCraft III.