Author Topic: Brad Wardell: Do you really want Steam to be your only option? Are you sure?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Brad Wardell: Do you really want Steam to be your only option? Are you sure?
« on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 04:58:58 PM »
Read

Wardell explains why all the fanboys saying "Why even have Impulse? Just release everything on Steam" are idiots.

I thought this part was interesting:
Steam’s most successful venture yet, Steamworks, has helped Steam get an increasingly firmer hold on the market. In my opinion, Steamworks is 90% copy protection, 10% game-related features.  I know that publishers are looking at Steamworks as a replacement to SecuROM for protecting games.

The problem is that Steamworks requires the user to have a Steam account and Steam installed to use it – even if you buy it at retail or through a third party like Direct2Drive.  I think that’s the basic strategy for Steamworks -- give developers a bunch of “free” features that they used to have to pay for (copy protection, DRM, GameSpy type stuff) with the only catch is that the user has to become a Steam user and have Steam installed. As a result, something like Dawn of War 2, for instance, won’t be on Impulse.

Even with the case of Steamworks, competition has helped here too though, since Stardock is producing Impulse Reactor to compete with Steamworks. Impulse Reactor doesn’t require Impulse (the client) to even be installed to work.
The whole thing is worth reading, so check it out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Brad Wardell: Do you really want Steam to be your only option? Are you sure?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »
If a company so chooses to in the future, can they remove the need of Steam from their game themselves so you can run their game without it?

Or do they have to ask Valve for permission to do so?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Brad Wardell: Do you really want Steam to be your only option? Are you sure?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
If a company so chooses to in the future, can they remove the need of Steam from their game themselves so you can run their game without it?

Or do they have to ask Valve for permission to do so?
Good question, MyD. I certainly hope so.

I only use Steam for my Valve games. I don't think I'll ever be tempted to go for any Steam game unless it's mandatory i.e. Dawn of War 2. Even then, I'm rooting for alternative options. I don't like the idea that Valve has the power to deny me access to any of my games (which are paid for) at any given moment. It's just kinda unsettling.

I'd love to Stardock's Impulse Reactor in action and really making Valve run for their money; well our money.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 07:10:37 PM »
Wardell comments in the comments area:

Consumers are largely unaware of what happens behind the scenes and how businesses can create dominant positions that make them difficult to compete with.

For example, Steamworks is being adopted almost exclusively for the DRM features in it. SecuROM got hammered due to the response to it in Spore and such and publishers started looking for alternatives and Steamworks exists and is proven technology.

The gotcha is that Steamworks requires the game to bundle the Steam client and for the user to become a Steam user.  And multiple major publishers, right now, are in the process of integrating Steamworks into their game, often without realizing that other publishers are doing that too at the same time.

Publishers could quickly create a self-perpetuating market dominance for Steam by "standardizing" on Steamworks. Because pretty soon, if the major publishers are turning all their customers into Steam users, then you have a situation where Steam could have 20X as many users as #2 and at that point, they have such a commandling lead that it would be extremely difficult to provide a viable competitor because the publishers aren't going to bother dealing with partners that only have a tiny % of the market. 

In that scenario, users wouldn't even have the choice of using Steam or not. They would have to use Steam if they wanted to play games from a lot of the major players.

And imagine the scenario then if one of the major publishers suddenly acquires Valve.  In one fell swoop one publisher would have all the customer accounts of all the other publishers. 

Over the next few months, watch carefully on new game releases.

Stardock's goal with Impulse isn't to "beat" Steam. But rather, to ensure there's a viable alternative to Steam. I don't think it's in anyone's interest that any entity become dominant in such an emerging market.

I may love my iPod Touch but I'm sure glad Zune exists. Because I would hate to see a situation where songs were only available to purchase on iTunes.

Impulse has a lot of catching up to do in terms of features to be a viable competitor to Steam in the games arena (in the non-games area, it obviously has a tremendous advantage).  But that will come in time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »
Wardell is my hero.  I wish people would pull their heads out of their asses.  These days, be it community, government, retailer, or online distributor, it seems everyone is completely willing to accept total monopoly in exchange for... basically nothing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »
I like being able to choose from Retail Stores (online or in the actual store) and/or Digital distribution (Steam, Impulse, GOG, and any other up-jumps).

C'mon, keep 'em coming.

The more competition, the more these companies will be fighting each other and slashing prices to try and be the victor.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
Steam fans are idiots?  Who would have ever concocted such an outrageous idea?  Certainly not ME!