Author Topic: Stock photos of "gamers"  (Read 2301 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god

Offline wizall

Re: Stock photos of "gamers"
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 16, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
Pretty big fan of this one (with caption):

Got my fuckin’ Gameboy and my fuckin’ cookie and OH FUCK THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH AWESOME AT ONCE I THINK I JUST CAME.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 16, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 16, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »
Smart man.  No interference.  No dead batteries.  No lost controllers.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 02:52:47 AM »
Aside from the annoyance of changing batteries once in a while... what?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
I hate batteries.  I see the inconvenience of batteries as much greater than the inconvenience of cords.  Some things require batteries by their nature, and they are the only ones that should make you use them.  Cell phones, yes.  Keyboards, no.  Mice, no.  Controllers, no.

Then there are other issues of wireless devices like radio interference and lag.  These have improved markedly, but are not history.

When deciding whether to get a core Xbox 360 or the premium SKU, the wired controller was on the core's plus column.  I've bought another 360 controller since, also wired.

Gamers don't sit in that position because of cords.

If he was interested in her more than in the game, the controller would be on the table.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 11:31:21 AM »
My joke kind of went the wrong direction, huh?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 11:37:13 AM »
Yea.

Offline wizall

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 01:14:53 PM »
I hear you about the batteries, Cobra.  But I have the wireless 360 controller with the charger.  It has a surprisingly long life, and when charging it's essentially a wired controller for a short time.

But yes, given the choice between batteries and wired, I'd go with wired.

Goddammit, Idol, what were you thinking?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
I understand that someone would prefer a wired controller to swapping batteries every 50 hours or so, but i just don't think it is that big of a deal.

I too would find it impossible to live with a keyboard or mouse that required batteries, but that's because I end up using those two devices for more than eight hours a day. I don't play my 360 for more than three or four hours a day, and that too not every day. When I have friends over, then I end up using all four controllers, and they do run out of juice at annoying moments. But that's why I have a massive battery box in my TV trolley.

But while I can see the battery thing as a problem, I find the other two things to be non-issues. I've never had problems with the signal interference, nor have I ever misplaced a controller. Even if I had a wired controller, I'd still detach it and place it back in the trolley after I was done playing.

In the end, at the cost of being annoyed by the battery problems, I still prefer the convenience of being wireless.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
I agree with both sides of the argument. For me it's more about convenience. For situations where a cordless device would be more convenient I like it i.e. PS3, I can sit comfortably on the couch with no concern for the range or cables dangling about, and I can plug it with USB cable and play while it's charging anyway. In situations where it's more convenient to have a wired device connected at all times I'll go for it (i.e. my mouse! I have yet to find a cordless mouse that 1. is responsive with no lag and 2. lasts a reasonable amount of time before I have to change the batteries).

My current keyboard is the Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 which is actually pretty amazing for range and battery life. It's pretty responsive, I can use it like a master remote control for my PC, and I only need to change the batteries roughly every 5-6 months or so. Granted it is a very basic multimedia keyboard with no LCD display or backlighting.

Back to Idol! Those stock images are preposterous! haha

Ah, good ol' N64!

EDIT:
I still dream of this one:

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »
My most recent experience with batteries is the Wii remote.  While playing Metroid Prime 3, I had to swap rechargeables every 2 days.  I wasn't playing all day either.  The thing just needs a lot of juice when it's getting constantly exercised with the nunchuk attachment.  Mario Galaxy has the same issue.  And the more you recharge batteries, they less they last.  The chemical process is not fully reversible.  There is loss with every iteration, until the batteries are trash and you need to buy new ones. 

These are other negatives I didn't mention before, cost and waste.  Waste alone wouldn't deter me.  I'm probably the least green-friendly guy here.  (Global warming my ass.)  But everything put together makes it a no-brainer to me.

If my console were across a living room from my couch, I'd probably move one or the other.  But I can definitely see the convenience factor of wireless in a living room, particularly when guests are present.  I'm not trying to be partisan at any cost here.

What joke?  Sorry if I trampled on any LOLz.

Edit:  I'm not immune to that 2nd picture either.   :-*

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
What's up with this one?

The TV isn't even on.

As far as cordless vs. cord, it depends.  For keyboards and mice, I don't see the need for cordless there.  I do have a small wireless mouse for my work laptop, but that's because I fucking hate touchpads, the mouse is about half the size of the average desktop mouse, and if it were actually corded all I'd need is like a 6" cord so anything longer just is a hassle.

For controllers though I much prefer wireless.  I remember thinking how awesome the Wavebird was when it came out, but I guess that could have been because the GCN controller cords were so goddamn short.  I usually sit on the couch, across the room from my TV when I play my 360; a corded controller would never reach.  Jennie's son has a wired Bengals-themed 360 controller, and he and my dog are constantly tripping over the cord and detaching it.  As far as battery life, it is pretty annoying for the Wii, but I bought the recharger and 2 recharge packs for my 360 and that works out pretty well.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »
What's up with this one?

The TV isn't even on.

I think they didn't want to put a specific game on.. As a stock image it's better to keep it open to whatever game screenshot the user wants to superimpose. It would have been more convenient if they at least kept the TV blue screen on.. Makes it easier to work with, kinda like a green screen.

Speaking of portable mice I love the ones with the little retractable reel! Some of theme even have the reel built-in or at least have a compartment to store the reel.

My current mouse is a basic Saitek (800 dpi I think), fantastic for games and photoshop. I like it because it's sensitive but not too sensitive. I would consider some of the more upscale mice (1200 and 1600 dpi) but not at the prices they are now! A mouse can go anywhere from $60 USD to $130 USD! My Saitek came free with R6 Vegas 2 :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
I also like the last one where all the chicks are supposed to be playing the game but you can see the back of the 360 with no cords plugged into it.  Classic.

As for wireless... generally speaking, I don't like it.  Wiimotes are annoying having to swap batteries all the time, and I generally hate the implementation.  That said, PS3 wireless controller?  Brilliant.  Use until out of juice, then just plug into PS3 via USB, and it becomes a wired controller.  It's the best of both worlds.  Lets me play whenever I want without worrying about power or external crap, gives me the advantage of wireless (which I have to say is not a big deal in the least -- I don't notice any difference between the two except in occasional circumstances where I'm sitting in an odd position), and gives me the advantage of wired.  Couldn't be happier.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
I think they didn't want to put a specific game on.. As a stock image it's better to keep it open to whatever game screenshot the user wants to superimpose. It would have been more convenient if they at least kept the TV blue screen on.. Makes it easier to work with, kinda like a green screen.
I thought that but, like you mentioned, I figured if that were the real purpose they would have a green or blue screen on the TV, not black (especially when the TV's bezel is black).

Speaking of portable mice I love the ones with the little retractable reel! Some of theme even have the reel built-in or at least have a compartment to store the reel
I have one of those.  It's not a nice one.  It's more of a got-it-free-at-a-convention one.  I am not a big fan.  It is insanely tiny, shaped like a Ford logo, and it's just simply way too light.  It got use before I got my wireless MS one, but I don't think I would ever go back to it.  I don't even know where it is anymore.