Author Topic: GTX 275 and the Radeon 4890  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
GTX 275 and the Radeon 4890
« on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539&p=1

That's just one review. I've been though about 10 and some have the 275 winning, while others have the 4890 winning.

The best part is that they are both priced at $250! And if you live in North America, you should be able to get them for around $220 after rebates. The ATi offering is available now, while the 275 should be hitting in a week or so.

If you've been waiting to take the plunge, this is a fantastic opportunity. Both cards are better than the GTX280, and offer improvements of aprox. 40% over the GeForce 8xxx high end series.

If you can wait, then September is around the corner, and is traditionally when new tech. is released, rather than refreshes. If you've already got a ATI 48xx card, then there is no need obviously. Even with an 8800GTX level card, at 1680x1050, you are probably able to pull off medium to high settings for most cutting edge titles.

However, if you are wondering what to go for between the two, I'd suggest the GTX 275.

While the Radeon 4890 is slightly ahead or equal to the card at resolutions of up to 1680x1050 -- in many it is actually behind -- at higher resolutions, it gets dominated.

Aside from that, at normal operation, the 4890 uses a lot more power -- though under load the GTX 275 uses more power. Plus there is expectation that the GTX 275 will improve even further with driver updates.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: GTX 275 and the Radeon 4890
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
Wow, if the Radeon 4890 is matched by the GTX275 that's a real hit to AMD, considering the 4890 is suppsoed to be AMD's top of the line.

EDIT:
At that price I'd seriously consider a GTX275. I just hope I can find it at that rate over here in the UAE.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 06, 2009, 02:02:10 PM by Xessive »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »
I haven't followed computer hardware tech in a long time.  I think I might need to start looking at this stuff.  My 7900 GTX may be near its life.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
Wow, if the Radeon 4890 is matched by the GTX275 that's a real hit to AMD, considering the 4890 is suppsoed to be AMD's top of the line.

EDIT:
At that price I'd seriously consider a GTX275. I just hope I can find it at that rate over here in the UAE.

I am pretty sure you will be able to. At most you will find it for $300.

But it isn't their top of the line. The 4870X2 is about $450 and is their "top of the line".

It isn't really a serious hit because both cards are priced at $250. At lower resolutions, the 4890 and the GTX275 take turns 1uping each other, though the 4890 seems to win a bit more, albeit with slight percentages. It does lose consistently once the resolution is past 1680x1050... but most people don't have monitors of that capability.

Overall, it is being considered a win for ATi, because the well priced fast product has forced NVIDIA to release a new product.

Keep in mind that when the GTX280 came out, it was priced at $550. When the ATi 4870 came at $300 and offered a great performance, Nvidia were forced to slash prices. Later, Nvidia released the GTX285 and the GTX260 maxcore, both which were more refined versions of the GTX 280 and the GTX260 respectively. They both were on a smaller manufacturing process, and thus were cooler, faster, and less power hungry.

The GTX260 maxcore from BFG was a real bargain. At $200, it wasn't very far behind the GTX280.

Anyway, if you have a 7900GTX, then one of these cards will be a good option... but keep in mind that this is the final refresh of these products. Both companies will have the next generations of their cards along in about six months. I'd suggest that if you are looking to upgrade, then you buy NOW, so that you can enjoy the most out of these cards. If you plan to wait three months, then you might as well wait three more. Though with the economy the way it is, we might have to wait even longer than six months for the next gen... so who knows?

I am personally finding it really hard to wait. My 8800GTX has served me well, and can make do... but I want one of these so badly.

edit:

It is also a win for ATi because they already have their product out there in a worldwide launch. The GTX275 will still take a week or so.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »
I suppose so. I guess it's a toss up between the two. I'm sure it's just a matter of driver updates to give the GTX275 an edge at those resolutions.

I'd even consider the GTX285 at $360. I'll have to do an inventory of all the shops out here and see what's available.

Thanks for the head's up Puggy ;)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 06, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
I'm really happy I went with ATi this last round.  I was getting annoyed with nvidia, and this card was cheap as hell and outperformed my expectations.  People whined endlessly about the fan speed issue, but so far the thing has stayed super cool without any tweaking whatsoever.  And I got it so cheap that even the thought of a high-end card at $250 doesn't make me wish I'd waited.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 02:49:04 AM »
I think you have the 4850X2, right?

To be honest, I am not having too many issues with my 8800GTX either. Games like Far Cry 2, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, and Burnout are running pretty well on "high" to "very high" settings at my monitor's native rez of 1680x1050.

I am yet to start on Fallout 3, but I can't imagine it being too much more physically demanding. And with PC gaming horizon shaped the way it is, I can't imagine a lot aside from Alan Wake and Project Offset requiring too much more power than we already have within the next few years.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
I've had my 8800 GTS for nearly two years now and it's still handles really, I can run most thing on High-Very High settings, with the exception of Crysis which is Medium-High unless I tweak it manually.

The only times I feel some performance drops is with heavy PhysX i.e. Mirror's Edge and UT3 PhysX Mod Pack, in which case it starts out fine but if too many physics things go on it gets choppy.

Hehe I like that you mention the mythical Project Offset. Keeps the hope floating.

If I do upgrade my vid card this summer I think it'll just be for luxury rather than necessity.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 01:11:10 PM »
Well it was purchased by Intel two years ago, as part of the "PC GAMING ALLIANCE" crap. Intel will be publishing their first game, and that will be it. It will come to PC first in two years and is going to be an action RPG in the first person, except from the new video I saw, it will rock your pants.

Yea, I purchased my 8800GTX there years ago for $600. Those were crazy times. I can't imagine doing that again...