Author Topic: PSP Load Times Analysis  (Read 3515 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
PSP Load Times Analysis
« on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:20:51 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6159832/index.html?tag=topslot;action;3&om_act=convert&click=topslot

One of the biggest problems with the PSP is loading.  This is an analysis of from starting the PSP up to getting into the game.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: PSP Load Times Analysis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 04:22:23 AM »
Yeah, it's too bad that games can't be played from something like a memory card, to speed up load times considerably.   ;)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 05:11:30 AM »
Damn.  The fastest loading game takes almost a minute to load?  That's crazy. I'm glad I didn't buy into that pile of crap.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 05:25:07 AM »
I detect a negative theme in the comments to the article, though.  There are several people saying that it takes nowhere near that long, on the quality titles at least.  The test method is being brought into question.  Personally, I don't recall having to wait a minute or more for anything (from a game UMD).  When you first turn on a game, you get initial boot time, deliberately delayed splash screens, logos, disclaimers, menus, etc.  People don't consider most of that part of load times.  Not having sat down with a timer myself, I can't question the validity of the results.  My reaction is purely subjective.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 09:00:07 AM »
Damn.  The fastest loading game takes almost a minute to load?  That's crazy. I'm glad I didn't buy into that pile of crap.

That is crap.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 01:37:38 PM »
Yea the test method isn't exactly accurate.

The average load time for a level is usually 5-20 seconds depending on the game. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
They weren't testing load times between levels.  They were testing from the moment you turn on the PSP to the moment you can begin playing a game.  It says so right in the link.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 06:52:11 PM »
And that's why it isn't a good testing methodology.

Most people don't shut down their PSPs on a regular basis.  People sleep theres all the time, so the standard splash startup is nonexistent.  Also, you can sleep in-game as well, which makes the launching of the game only relevant if you are swapping games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 06:09:29 PM »
But even ignoring that, I have a problem with these tests.  More games are tacking on multiple splash screens up front, as in movies.  Those splash screens often can't be bypassed or sped up.  It's unfair to blame the system for the self-serving decisions of the software distributors.  Dead time showing me a Universal flying logo (or whatever) can't be called "load time".  Sorry.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »
Yeah, it isn't *that* bad, though it can be a little slow.  But with homebrew apps it's generally lightning fast.  Loading Doom PSP takes no time at all for the frontend (you just have to wait for the PSP's splash screen), and then loading the game itself is like 5 seconds.  SNES stuff is nearly instantaneous.  Obviously those aren't quite the best examples being that they aren't full PSP games, but my point stands.  It can load things pretty quickly even from the memstick, and I think some of the longer load times are because the games aren't properly optimized, not so much because the PSP can't load them more quickly.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
There are no seek times on memory cards.  I would expect load times from them to be faster.  I'm sure that reading from the mechanical device can't compete with the solid-state storage.  But doing a blind stopwatch thing from system power-up to game start is meaningless, or worse, because it paints an overly grim picture.