Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Chess!
« on: Friday, July 17, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
Have been trying to get back into the game lately since I finally live somewhere where I actually have space to set up a board, and remembered some of the good times we had playing online. I couldn't remember where it was, but after some searching, once again found the FICS (Free Internet Chess Server) which can be found at http://www.freechess.org/ — their login is totally broken for me, but I never played using their site anyway. Instead, it's much more recommended to play using a third-party client, which turns the whole experience basically into the IRC of chess.

http://www.babaschess.net/ — It doesn't appear to be in active development anymore, but it's still the most popular client, and it still works better than the others I've tried. Give it a whirl! Pug and Ghandi used to play with me on there for a short while, and you can join chats and observe games and stuff ... a few times idol and I think maybe a couple other people joined us and we played some games and chatted while we watched others play. It was quite a lot of fun.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the love. My handle is the usual. Pop on and play sometime!

EDIT - Oh yeah, and I also found https://www.chesscademy.com/ — basically attempting to be the Khan Academy of chess. It's free, and while there isn't a metric shit-ton of content, there is a fair bit there already, with more planned. You can learn the basic rules, learn some basic strategy, complete with tactical exercises, and move on to some more advanced stuff.

I should also mention that if you're actually interested in chess theory, FICS has lecture bots which give lectures on famous games and such. Announcements are made when you're logged into the server, and you can observe the games and ready the commentary that goes along with the games. It's pretty cool stuff, and worth a look.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Chess!
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 17, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the links. I've been thinking of looking more into chess lately. A few of my friends are into it (read books about it, etc.) so I have been curious to find out more about it. Part of the challenge for me right now is just keeping with it. I'm so impatient these days!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 17, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Chess is a good way to cure that. Honestly, it's about the best thing I've ever found for combating today's short attention span. Remains interesting even after long periods, so holds the attention, but requires patience to play, enjoy, and learn.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 17, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »
The only thing that keeps my attention these days is reading. If I can get into a book or an author then I have no problem focusing on the material. If I lose interest or something gets in the way, like work or personal matters, then it's really hard to get back into it. I don't think I've ever been particularly patient to start with.

Maybe if I read more about the strategies involved in playing chess, more of the theory, then I could get more into it. Just have so much of everything else to do these days.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 08:35:16 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05ssqpq

Kinda neat. BBC4's "Across the Board", where a guy interviews people over a game of chess. Sort of a fun idea, and basically the only even mildly chess-related podcast still in production that I can find.