Author Topic: Monkey Island Remake?!  (Read 2233 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Monkey Island Remake?!
« on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Monkey Island Remake?!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »
New MI from Telltale and a remake of MI1?

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif – June 1, 2009 – LucasArts today announced that the original hilarious pirate adventure is back, with two new projects underway based on the classic Monkey Island franchise. Beginning in just a few short weeks, Telltale will premiere the Tales of Monkey Island™ game series, delivering a completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes on PC and WiiWare™. The Monkey Island celebration continues later in the summer when LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC.

Today's announcement represents a new partnership between LucasArts and digital entertainment pioneers Telltale who are crafting new experiences for today's audiences with engaging stories delivered through regular monthly episodes. Tales of Monkey Island is developed by Telltale, whose team includes designers and artists who worked on all of the previous Monkey Island games. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is being developed internally by LucasArts, the company that started it all with the original Monkey Island games.

“We couldn’t be any more excited about bringing Monkey Island to today's gamers -- both in our special edition of the original classic, and through our collaboration with Telltale on the episodic series,” said LucasArts’ President Darrell Rodriguez. “We can’t wait for Guybrush Threepwood and LeChuck to return to gamers’ screens.”
Holy crap! I'm excited to see what they do.

Web sites! Telltale and Lucas Arts. According to GAF, the remake will let you switch between the new and original graphics at will, and Dominic Armato is back!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
So, after watching the Giant Bomb video on the remake this seems to be a good thing. Good people are involved, they're not changing a thing, and even though there are "improved" graphics, they're pretty true to the original. Now all that's left is to see if all the youngen bastards who play games now will actually appreciate this.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
I...may...need...to...go...change...my...pants...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
*instant boner*

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »
Awesome news!

I don't have any of the MI games....
Does LucasArts still sell the huge entire Monkey Island Collection?
I wonder if they plan to put it back into circulation?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »
Thank God for some decent news.  Now we just have to hope they don't screw it up somehow.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »
Well, Telltale did a good job w/ Sam and Max Episodes...

I loved Season One.
Ain't got Season Two yet...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
Hopefully more new games than remakes. While I'm looking forward to the MI remake, I wouldn't want just a string of remakes of games I've already played a ton of.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
They really don't need to remake the games from the CD-ROM era though. They all look still look alright (save for resolution issues) and have awesome voice acting. All that really needs to happen is make them easier to play and readily available. SCUMM VM already exist, so half the work is done.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
Hopefully more new games than remakes.
Amen.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god