Author Topic: GTA: Chinatown Wars coming to PSP  (Read 2649 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
GTA: Chinatown Wars coming to PSP
« on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 10:00:01 AM »
Well how about that.
New York, NY - June 22, 2009 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce that one of the highest-rated handheld games of all time, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, will be making its way to the PSP (PlayStationPortable) handheld entertainment system. Developed by the award-winning studio Rockstar Leeds, in conjunction with series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStationNetwork in North America and Europe this fall.

"We're proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series."

"Rockstar's work with the GTA series has been an enormous part of the success of PlayStation platforms," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We're excited to welcome the critically acclaimed Chinatown Wars to the outstanding line-up of great games headed to the PSP platform this fall."

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars follows the story of Huang Lee, a young Triad who travels to Liberty City after the mysterious death of his father. Within the game, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise. Specifically built for the PSP platform with upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation; and including all-new story missions; this version of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will take full advantage of the power of the PSP system.
I guess this is because the DS version sold relatively poorly. I still haven't figured out why, its a great game. It'll be interesting to see how the PSP version ends up since the game made good use of the DS touchscreen. Going to be some fairly large changes. But I'm interested, just to see that game on a nice large-ish screen.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: GTA: Chinatown Wars coming to PSP
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
Now I have no idea if I'm happy I bought it or not.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 09:38:20 AM »
Well how about that. I guess this is because the DS version sold relatively poorly. I still haven't figured out why, its a great game.

I'm a bit out of touch with gaming right now but it seems like GTA is no longer a big deal. They need a good long break before people get excited about it again.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
GTA IV was a great effort, but like most games that ambitious, fell somewhat short.  I think they need better technical talent for starters.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »
GTA IV was a great effort, but like most games that ambitious, fell somewhat short.  I think they need better technical talent for starters.

Wow, really?  I thought it was a fantastic effort all around.  It's the first GTA that kept me engaged, and thus was the only GTA I've ever finished at this point.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
My only problem with GTA4 was the same as with all the GTA games: the frustrations. Overall, I thought it was quite quite good, though less of a personal favorite than San Andreas (grand scale), and Vice City (memorable theme).

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 12:20:44 PM »

I didn't see any problem with the technical talent. For me, the game was too ambitious and forgot about the fun. Every GTA's from the original to Vice City were a lot of fun to play. After that, the entertainment value went away and it felt more like a chore.

I didn't get very far into San Andreas so I can't fairly judge that one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Now I have no idea if I'm happy I bought it or not.

Honestly, I'd imagine that the DS version will still be the better one...just because the two screens worked out really well for this game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
Could be.

I agree that Rockstar needs a bit of help in the technical arena.  If you're not seeing problems, you're just not looking.  Which is fine.  Better not to.  But if you come at it critically, there are issues that would be nice to see fixed, not to mention methods they use for certain background game mechanics which could use a big overhaul.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 09:26:01 PM »
Technically I've always found the games to be quite good. The last one was quite good in this respect - it just lacked creativity. I played for awhile and knew exactly what to expect because it was the same as previous games, only prettier and somewhat more in-depth. The same things that I loved in the previous games - namely driving fast - was present. But it just lacked that extra *something* that made me really want to come back and play more, and that was similar to my experience in previous games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
I'm all about exploring the cities.  That's really all those games are for me.  Driving fast and exploring cities.  I don't care much about the story, characters, combat, or crime.  I mean, that isn't to say I don't enjoy some of that stuff, but that's not really what I'm there for, you know?  And when I finish exploring the city, that's usually about when I'm done with the game unless the rest of it is carrying me a while longer.  It did with III, but not with any of the others because it was all somewhat old hat by then.  Niko's story in IV was actually pretty compelling through the first third of the game, but then it tapered off and eventually just became unfocused.  So once I got to the last part of the city, I stopped playing.  I've thought about picking it up again, but I never do.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »
Absolutely, that has always been the main appeal for me - exploration. Driving as fast as possible while doing so, of course. I've just always found the games (at least the fourth iteration) technically perfect in execution in the confines of what the game accomplishes. The franchise itself just hasn't evolved insofar as it should to keep me coming back. I recall a few others on here mentioning how they have given the franchise a short lifespan on their systems as well, so I know that I'm not alone in this regard.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
I still say quite far from technically perfect.  There are lots of little oddities and bugs, performance issues, and rudimentary mechanical and gameplay systems that could use a little retooling, some of which are more annoying than others.  The games are fine, but I think they'd go a long way toward doing something better with the series if they tried to work out the kinks.  Also, Rockstar can't make a decent PC port to save their lives.  Utterly pathetic execution for the most part.  I did have OK luck with Vice City on PC, but San Andreas was a nightmare, IV is supposed to be totally horrible, and Bully had a whole mess of problems.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
GTA would improve if Rockstar could figure out the difference between "interesting and challenging missions" and "tedious and bullshit hard missions". I eventually get to a point in most GTA games where the missions are total bullshit and I don't want to replay them 40 times to beat it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
If you play a little Burnout Paradise on the 360, then boot up GTA IV, you should see the gap in tech talent.  Yeah, I know GTA IV deals with a lot more.  But BP runs at 60 fps.  I guess I'm more critical because this is the order in which I played these games, back-to-back.