Author Topic: Call of Duty: World At War THREAD  (Read 2228 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Call of Duty: World At War THREAD
« on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »
CoD5 is official -- for PC, PS3, X360, Wii, PS2, and DS.
It looks like will not be in the WW2 or Current "Modern" setting, either.

Given that Activision recently said that Treayrch and Infinity Ward will still be alternating on making CoD Iterations, Treayrch probably will be doing CoD5.

In an earnings call with investors following its most successful set of  full-year financials ever, Activision has unveiled more details about the next installment in the Call Of Duty series.

The firm talked of a new ‘military theatre’ and confirmed that the title would be released for 360, PS3, PC and DS – but would also arrive on Wii and PS2, representing the first time the series had been playable on the duo for two years,

Speaking about the game, Activision Publishing CEO Mike Griffith said: "We'll launch on all four platforms we've participated on in fiscal 2008 2008 [with Call Of Duty 4]…[but] we'll [also] launch on the PS2 and the Wii.”

Activision also revealed that Call of Duty 5 would change the setting of the series.

"We'll bring the intensity of the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare title to a new military theatre to engage our significantly larger user base which nearly doubled last year as new users came into the franchise," added Griffiths.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 06:20:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Call of Duty 5 Announced
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 06:28:53 PM »
Cliffy B of Epic is already blasting shots at Activision for switching dev's b/t each Call of Duty iteration.

Call of Duty: World at War may have "lost its soul," says Cliff Bleszinski

* By Blake Snow
    * October 07, 2008 15:08 PM PST

Gears of War designer Cliff Bleszinski suggests that the latest Call of Duty may be "lost in translation," due to the development hand-off from Infinity Ward to Treyarch.

Call of Duty: World at War may have 'lost its soul,' says Cliff Bleszinski.

Will Treyarch's Call of Duty: World at War be as good as Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4?

"Sometimes I feel a franchise loses something when it's shifted off to another shop," Bleszinski told Develop Magazine, speaking of the alternating development used in the Call of Duty series. "You get the primary studio that really understands the franchise, and sometimes the other studio that takes over can do well, but there's something lost in translation, like the game's soul has gone."

Bleszinski's comments come as Activision popularizes the trend of relay development, in which two studios develop sequel installments of a franchise in alternating years. Beginning with Call of Duty 3, Treyarch has gotten the nod to develop odd number sequels (World at War is number 5), while Infinity Ward, the original developer of the series, handles even numbered sequels (including next year's Call of Duty 6).

Call of Duty: World at War arrives on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, DS and PC on November 11. Bleszinski's Gears of War 2 arrives on Xbox 360 four days earlier (Nov 7).

Mark Rein of Epic does some damage control here.
Epic Main-Steak Mark Rein came on our boards to clarify Cliffy's comment:

Cliff wasn't talking about Call of Duty in that answer. He was simply answering the first part of the question about his personal feelings to do with shopping out the franchise. We've had positive and negative experiences with that in the past. In my opinion the Call of Duty guys have handled it extremely well and I expect #5 to be a great game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Call of Duty 5 THREAD - Update: Cliffy B of Epic shoots on Activision
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Yeah, that totally hasn't worked out for the CoD series so far.  How's UT 3.1 coming?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 04:08:38 AM »
While the COD games not developed by Infinity aren't as good, they aren't bad either and sell pretty well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 05:45:49 AM »
Yeah, that totally hasn't worked out for the CoD series so far.
Sales-wise, Activision's done fine w/ CoD games. 

Though, most people thought Treyarch's CoD3 for consoles was decent, but definitely nowhere as good as any of the Infinity Ward CoD's.

We'll have to wait and see how CoD: World at War turns out as a game, just to see how right or wrong Cliffy B is. I'm sure it'll still sell like crazy b/c it is a CoD-based game, regardless...

How's UT 3.1 coming?

LOL @ the above.

I think Cliffy B might be referring to, in his experience w/ shopping a franchise around that it didn't work well, to how Gears PC turned out, since they didn't port it themselves. People Can Fly ported that for them, whom they happened to buy out, actually -- and well, it had some minor issues (namely that damn stuttering issue, namely).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I tried out the Call Of Duty: World At War multiplayer beta!

It's not bad. Typical though and nothing particularly special. A lot of fun to be had but honestly I am sick to my stomach of the WW2 theme. It's been done, redone, reinvented, innovated, and now I'm done with it.

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a fresh addition to the franchise and any jump back in time just seems like an unappealing regression. Although the only idea I might be willing to make exception for might be "Call Of Duty: Ninja Warfare" but nah.. It would just be too contrived.

I'm sure Treyarch will do a great job with COD:WAW but I like Infinity Ward's work better.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »
I'm going to be all over Infinity Ward's next CoD game. CoD4 was probably my favorite FOS game ever.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »
PC, PS3, and X360 Reviews
8.7 from Gametrailers.com

PC Version Reviews
9.2 from IGN for PC version
4½ stars from GameSpy

X360 Version Reviews
B from 1Up

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Call of Duty: World At War THREAD
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 08:15:58 PM »
I don't know.  CoD4 was awesome, but COD2 was kind of boring as far as I'm concerned.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »
I don't know.  CoD4 was awesome, but COD2 was kind of boring as far as I'm concerned.

I liked both COD1 and COD2. Both were pretty good. But, I don't know -- I think the realistic WW2 setting has been beat to death.

Though, what's up w/ the whole COD: World At War - Multi-Player Nazi Zombie Mode? Yeah, especially since L4D comes out in a few weeks....

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
CoD4 was awesome.  The throwback to WWII makes me not want to play this game at all.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
Played this game for a bit. It's.....decent. If you played CoD3 or 2 then you know what to expect. Certainly not on the level of CoD4.

It's also stupid on the hardest difficulty. It's not necessarily hard...just dumb. You will die randomly from a shot from across the map. Also, there's no "revert to last checkpoint" option. I got a checkpoint at one point and it was impossible for me to continue, and I was at the end of the level so I didn't want to restart. That's about where I gave up with this game. Didn't try it online, so it may be better there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
The Upcoming COD: World At War DLC will not be the "traditional" type of DLC from Treyarch.

Call of Duty: World At War DLC Not 'Traditional'
by Chris Faylor Dec 02, 2008 12:44pm CST tags: Call of Duty: World at War, DLC
Call of Duty: World at War

Treyarch's downloadble add-ons for Call of Duty: World at War will "not going to be what we've done traditionally," executive producer Daniel Suarez has teased.

While he was reluctant to offer more details--"I'll leave it a little bit mysterious," Suarez told MTV Multiplayer--he noted that more details should arrive in early 2009.

But while details are practically non-existent, Suarez expressed the studio's hope of delivering more downloadable content than the sole multiplayer map pack that was released for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. "We want to do at least--the hope is--potentially two, maybe three packs out before we're all said and done," he explained.

One thing's for sure, though: that content won't include maps and weapons from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Suarez told the site that no crossover content is planned.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
Yeah I've heard this game is pretty meh from everyone I know that's played it.  It's sounding more and more like Infinity Ward is leaps and bounds more talented than Treyarch.

Then again, in the incredibly crowded WWII-themed game sector, you would have to do something amazing to get anyone's attention these days.

Really the commercial for this game turned me way off.  It seems that it was all done with the in-game engine, but the facial animations sucked and it looked really bad because of that.  I guess HL2 spoiled us in that regard, but then again how old is HL2 now?  Surely you would think that Treyarch should at least come close in this day and age, especially if they are going to make a commercial like that.

Compare it to The Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway commercial.  That was awesome, and that's even after I knew it was a Gearbox game.  I think Gearbox sucks pretty bad so that's saying a lot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 05:57:24 PM »
The BIA: Hell's Highway commercial was pretty good, I thought.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »