Author Topic: Something that still surprises me about the original Xbox...  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Something that still surprises me about the original Xbox...
« on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 08:45:57 AM »
...was how shamelessly quick it was abandoned, when the release of the 360 became imminent. I am not sure who is to blame, but both the PS1 and the PS2 were useful long after the release of their respective successors.

I thought it was quite shitty for the original owners of the Xbox.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Something that still surprises me about the original Xbox...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 09:44:40 AM »
Yeah, they killed it off really fast. I don't think it ever made a profit so from Microsofts perspective it made little sense to keep making the hardware. And since no new hardware was being made everyone stopped making the software.

The bad part for me is my Xbox doesnt want to read game discs anymore, and its going to be hard to track down a new unit. And with the history of Xbox hardware I dont know how much I want to trust a pre-owned.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
I believe the original Xbox doesn't have any of the hardware issues that plague the 360.  Hell, the original Xbox is bulletproof.

I no longer use my Xbox, I modded it for the sole purpose of playing DivX and XviD movies... at the time the market had only shitty DivX players and media sharing wasn't available yet like it is now on the PS3 and the Xbox360. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
The market is way past DivX and XviD at this point.  It's about H.264/AVC now.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »

No doubt... I was talking about in 2003, I bought my Xbox for the sole purpose for DivX and XviD.  Now it's all about HD codecs.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »
You know iPPi, I remember you mentioning that in 2003.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »

Not for me and my hardware.  Heh.  Most H.264 content crawls here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »
Yeah, my Xbox is more or less dead.  They didn't have the same hardware problems as the 360, but they were pretty cheap.  Most of the ones I've seen around aren't in good shape anymore.  My old PS2?  *Considerably* older than the Xbox and still works.  We did have to replace it eventually mostly because in our house, the PS2 still sees a lot of use, and it made sense to get a new unit.  But the old one will still play stuff... it's just a little slow to read and can't read the blue discs anymore (I might even be able to fix those issues by recalibrating the laser... but why bother when the thing was big and the new small ones are... well, small... and don't get in the way as much?).

As per the original topic... yeah, they dropped it in a hurry.  It had some pretty good games, too, if you knew where to look, but overall it's not one of my favorite consoles.  I can't even remember what it was that finally convinced me to pick it up.  Just like the 360, I hadn't planned to get it... then something made me do it.  For the 360 it was Dead Rising... can't remember for the original box, though.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
Yeah, my Xbox is more or less dead.  They didn't have the same hardware problems as the 360, but they were pretty cheap.  Most of the ones I've seen around aren't in good shape anymore.  My old PS2?  *Considerably* older than the Xbox and still works.  We did have to replace it eventually mostly because in our house, the PS2 still sees a lot of use, and it made sense to get a new unit.  But the old one will still play stuff... it's just a little slow to read and can't read the blue discs anymore (I might even be able to fix those issues by recalibrating the laser... but why bother when the thing was big and the new small ones are... well, small... and don't get in the way as much?).

As per the original topic... yeah, they dropped it in a hurry.  It had some pretty good games, too, if you knew where to look, but overall it's not one of my favorite consoles.  I can't even remember what it was that finally convinced me to pick it up.  Just like the 360, I hadn't planned to get it... then something made me do it.  For the 360 it was Dead Rising... can't remember for the original box, though.

Panzer Dragoon?

I think the PSX/PS2 are extreme examples though.  The n64 and gamecube were dumped pretty fast as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
That's true, though you sort of expect that from Nintendo given the heavy focus on internally-developed exclusives.  Microsoft's model isn't really like that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
Around two years into the life cycle, I was buying most all my games on Xbox.