Author Topic: Internet down... :(  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Internet down... :(
« on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »
Remember that Southpark episode where the world's internet was down and everyone suffered from withdrawal etc... that is exactly how I feel at the moment. I think I may have been the one to f things up though.

We lose power every day at 7:00 pm for an hour... at 7 I lost power and thought I'd just sleep for an hour rather than go through the process of turning the generator on. Anyway... I have a couple of UPSs, one for the modem and router, and the other for the computer.

I turned my computer off and then turned off the comp UPS. Next I went to turn off the UPS for the router and cable modem. So I pressed the power button, which turned both the router and cable modem off... but I didn't press the power button all the way by mistake... because god of war has turned my hand muscles into pussies... and when I let go of the power button, it turned back on and the cable modem went back on as well. So basically it turned off for a few seconds and started to synchronize again, but then I just turned the UPS off (not letting it sync) and went to bed.

When I woke up a few hours later, I turned the power on, but the cable modem wouldn't and still hasn't sync'ed. Instead the receive light just keeps flashing, while the cable and send lights are blank.

I've had problems before, but never this. Normally the cable light flashes while it tries to sync and the send and receive lights don't. This time only the receive light is flashing.

I went to the modem setting page, and the send power levels are extremely low... so shit.
Right now I am on my sister’s computer… but not being able to use the net on mine feels so strange. :(

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Internet down... :(
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »
Sucks.

It's kind of like yesterday from about 6:30pm EST to 2:45am EST, Blackberry Internet service was down for the entirety of North America.  Now this isn't like the Internet being down, obviously, but consider the impact.  Businesses and individuals that have come to rely on the Internet, Internet-enabled applications, and e-mail all on their handheld just did not have it at all.  I'm the new network admin at a company I started with a week back and all of my bosses are on vacation.  People were pissed that it was down and calling me like crazy, but it wasn't a problem on our end.

We sent out an e-mail about it to the whole company but of course since it didn't arrive on their phone half of the people didn't see it and called anyway.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »
Wow, that sounds chaotic. What a strange thing to happen in your first week... I hope no one was too testy with you.

Anyway, my net is back and how it came back was very odd.

First of all, when I called the help line, they had me go to the modem settings and told me that for some reason the receive and transmit power levels were too low. They couldn't explain it, and told me that someone would come check things out in the morning.

Like I said, we lose power every evening at 7 and 11.

The cable company I am using is basically the biggest one here, and it is called World Call.

World Call has relay stations for each city sector. Each of these stations are equipped with automatic generators that kick in 5-10 seconds after load shedding (rolling blackouts) begins.

So the problem I spoke of started at 7 when we lost power etc.

At 11 we lost power again, and that's when the cable modem almost immediately synchronized.

I checked the modem settings and the transmission power levels were back at normal.

So I don't get what happened? I am guessing that when power was lost at 7, and came back at 8, something got screwed up when the generators switched back to normal power, and somehow the cable signals got weaker.

When loadshedding began again at 11, I guess the relay station was rest or something again and turned normal.

I have no other explanation. Anyway, it is good to have the internet back. :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
I think what they did is reset the flux capacitor.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
Yea, its sad how much I depend on internet. Mine was out for a little while, but it felt like a month went by, anyway, glad your back and it feels good to be back.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 01:00:55 AM »
was too good to last hahah
Taken.