Author Topic: Rape simulator  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Rape simulator
« on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 03:09:43 PM »
http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=547746&forum=84

That's the forum for discussing Dragon Age, the hot new RPG under development by Bioware. The thread is rearding what theme Dragon Age will have... and the developers are fantastic enough to post and interact with the fans often. Well some guy just overreacts to the dark theme and the developers get pissed off.

Read till the post by Stanley Woo.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Rape simulator
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »
The only poison pill there is TFVanguard, some self-important asshole.  It's too bad so much of the discussion went to address him.  People like that need a quick, curt reply, and then should be ignored thereafter.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »
I know. I was surprised that the developers took so much time to answer his queries. Initially I thought he had a point, because Baldur's Gate II was a really dark and morbid game at times, as was obviously PS:T.

However then he just went on and on about the rape in Martin's books. I think the developers were initially shocked and wanted to clarify. Once they realized that they weren't at fault and the guy was just nuts, they told him to screw off. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
TFVanguard is a douche.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »
All I know is I will look forward to Dragon Age, when it comes to the PC.

A dark, mature-themed Bioware game.......yes, count me in! I was already wanting to be counted in b/c it's a Bioware game, but aiming for MUCH darker themes sounds good to me.

And man, Stanley Woo was vicious! Someone needed to put that TF guy in his place.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 12:26:04 AM »
I didn't read too far, but what was he talking about with a rape simulator?  It seems like he obviously took stuff out of context, but I don't understand where that would have come from.  Anyway, I love dark, so the darker the better.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 03:03:01 AM »
This thread is highly misleading, as there isn't actually a rape simulator. Not that I really want to see a rape simulator, I was just curious. And I still am! Damn you Pug.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 04:36:46 AM »
Haha I clicked on the thread after mentally preparing myself to rant about how wrong a rape simulator would be, but then I quickly realized there is no rape simulator :P hehe

Thanks Pug, you make life slightly more amusing ;D Only slightly :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 05:34:52 AM »
TFVanguard keeps going on about how it is wrong to take inspiration from R.R.Martin's fantasy books because they sometimes depict highly violent and dark acts, among which is rape.

The developers politely try to tell him he has the wrong impression, but the dude continues to be a paranoid asshole.

That's when Stanley Woo loses it and says something along the lines of,"You make it sound like we are designing some rape simulator."

That made me laugh pretty hard, because Woo's frustration was quite apparent.

Somehow, you (and, I might add, you alone) have taken it to mean that we are some kind of George R.R. Martin rape simulator, as if that were not only the theme that we had chosen to emulate, but the only theme that we care about. How do you make that leap of logic, and what "explicit" hints have we given to make you think that?

OK so I went and found the quote. There it is above.

Haha I clicked on the thread after mentally preparing myself to rant about how wrong a rape simulator would be, but then I quickly realized there is no rape simulator Tongue hehe

haha see now you are thinking D&D style. You scout a tough situation ahead, and prepare yourself before battle. Unfortunately this time it was only an illusion. :P

This thread is highly misleading, as there isn't actually a rape simulator. Not that I really want to see a rape simulator, I was just curious. And I still am! Damn you Pug.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 06:05:58 AM »
haha see now you are thinking D&D style. You scout a tough situation ahead, and prepare yourself before battle. Unfortunately this time it was only an illusion. :P

Hehe, that's how I play Rainbow Six! Heck every game! Except Duck Hunt.. I just shoot ducks as they come.

Ah but as you say, preparation is key! Not frickin' A.I. drinking all my preparation potions! :P

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 02:32:32 PM »
Haha.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »