Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV (DS)  (Read 3257 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
« on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
Could have sworn there was a thread, but I couldn't find one.

I know Pyro and I have both bought this recently.  Game Crazy has discounted it to 20 bucks.  I had low expectations considering how FF III really has yet to grab me.  But man, they did an excellent job here.  There's enough additions to the game to where it doesn't feel like the same old trip (especially to people like me who have purchased the games four times now). 

What's more is that this version of the game is actually rather tough.  Random encounters will definitely violate you if you're not careful. 

There are some voice acted scenes, and I'm sorta on the fence about them.  Kain sounds appropriately badass, but Cecil sounds like an emo pussy.  Which I suppose is accurate to a point, but I always imagined him as a conflicted but determined gruff voiced badass, not some whiny 'woe is me' sort of character.

And yes, the spoony bard line is included.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Final Fantasy IV (DS)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 26, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
There wasn't a thread, I think some people were just talking about it in one of the "currently playing" threads.  Most likely because there aren't many who would pick this up.  I actually didn't even know they were doing a rerelease of IV... had only heard about III, which didn't look like something I'd want to try.

Is this another for DS?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 07:48:29 AM »
Yeah, it's a DS remake in the vein of III.  IV grabbed me where III did not.  Most likely due to the intense familiarity to the game and being able to notice the improvements/changes.

Long story short:  If you like FF IV, pick this up.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
IV is the one from that generation that I never played at all.  I played most of VI on the SNES.  I played some of V with an English patch.  How does it compare to those?  Combat and development along the same lines?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »
I'm kind of curious as well.  I've had this for the longest time and haven't played it beyond the opening scenes.   Huge fan of FFVI though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 06, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
I just put a couple hours into this earlier when I should have been writing a paper.  I'm impressed.  It's a lot harder than most jrpgs, which aparently directly translates into being way more fun.  Who would have guessed?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 10, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »
I've started playing this again and am having a lot of fun...which is strange because I've been off these kind of RPGs for years. Hilariously, the thing that keeps me going is how you get items for completing the mapping of a dungeon.