Author Topic: woot.com  (Read 2087 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
woot.com
« on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 02:25:18 AM »
I don't know if you guys know about this site, but it seems pretty awesome.  To sum  it up:  They sell one product a day and only one product a day.  Usually this is some sort of computer or electronic product.  Whatever it is, it goes on sale at midnight CMT and stays on the site all day, regardless of if it sells out (pretty often they sell out quickly because of the cutthroat pricing).  The next unannounced product goes up at midnight the next day.  They essentially have no customer support or return policy.  I'm not positive if they have a return policy to cover non-working goods (I'm sure they do), but since they sell products at ridiculous prices their official motto is 'if you don't like it or can't get it to work, sell it.  You'll make money.'

The exceptions are on Woot-offs, where they put up a new product as soon as the old one is sold out.  Product orders are limited from 1-3 units, depending on the product.  Shipping is always $5.

Why do I bring this up?  Well, they have something they call the "Bag of Crap" or "Random Crap".  Usually sold during Woot-offs, you can order three random mystery items for $1 each.  On this you pay a total shipping cost of $5.  What you get is a complete surprise until it arrives. These things sell out extremely fast.  You may get a toilet paper roll, a bouncy ball, and a dollar store keychain....or you may get some gum, a dog collar, and an Xbox 360
Today on digg there's a story.  In it the guy mentions that he opened his box and there were only two craps in it.  At first he felt ripped off, until he saw a tiny piece of paper telling him the third crap had to be shipped separately.  It was a 61" Sony HDTV.

They don't ship to outside of  continental USA, so I'm screwed but you guys should check the site out.  It sounds like a cool concept, especially if you somehow manage to buy a 'Bag of Crap' before they sell out and miraculously manage to get a PS3 or something like that.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: woot.com
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 03:16:08 AM »
That's pretty neat, $6 isn't really a bad gamble, I will have to look into it more.  So will they just throw the Bag of Crap and Random crap on the front page at random times?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »
Sounds cool.  I love random crap.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 09:55:38 AM »
Sounds pretty cool, I'll have to keep my eye on the place.