Author Topic: Signing off  (Read 3008 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Signing off
« on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 09:28:10 PM »
Yeah, this isn't working so much. I'm outta here.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Friday, November 03, 2006, 11:15:00 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
Re: Signing off
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:09:43 PM »
Have fun! 

I've actually moved about 8-9 times this year.  But i had the advantage of being single and not having a lot of stuff..  I might be in this place i'm in for longer than the other places.

Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »
I loathe moving, so hopefully Julia and I will be able to make it slightly more painless.  And I'm gonna' see how much stuff I can steal while he isn't looking.   :-[

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:35:21 PM »
Good luck Sy! Moving can be a bitch, but you always feel fresh once you settle in the new place :)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 11:26:05 PM »
Yeesh, that sucks.  Hopefully the move will go well.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 11:29:56 PM »
Last time I visited Que moved not too long after, though I like Que new place over his old one, its more cozy. Now apparently its your turn. Anyway, looks like I'll have to plan another trip out to come and see it and Idol is coming with me this time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 04, 2006, 12:20:09 AM »
Woo!  Time for a party.  I'll buy da chips.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 12:38:17 AM »
Well, I'm here checking in.

With Que and Julia's help we got much of the bigger boxes and stuff on Saturday. One Sunday Aimee and I made a few runs to our old place and managed to get a couple more things and smaller furniture. Next Saturday we're having movers bring over our bigger furniture and we should be pretty much done. The thing is we're now at that annoying stage where much of what's left for us to take is a bunch of random little crap that's sorta been strewn around the old apartment over the past three years. It's pretty much a matter of going around the place with bags and just throwing the junk in so we can sort it out later.

We can't really settle too much in the new place, however. First is the big furniture isn't here yet, which was expected so it's not so bad. The annoying thing is our stove and oven simply arn't connected to the electical circuits, the cabnet underneath the stove needs to be fixed, my closet doors don't slide and need to be worked on, and, finally, our phone lines don't seem to working on our end so those have to be worked on. With all that stuff that needs to be worked on, I don't want to have to unpack a lot of stuff only to have to move it so things can be worked on. You know? Hopefully the management doesn't try and drag their feet on this.

The internet situation is a bit funny as well. We are just doing a service transfer to our new address, but when the guy came to hook everything up on Sunday we simply didn't have a computer up. So, he did what he could and made sure the line was working. Everything seemed cool. Tonight I just got much computer hooked up, but it seemed there was a problem. Apparently when you just get a Comcast account going now they have this thing where every webpage you visit is this Comcast setup page where you download some installation wizard. That wizard makes sure you're accually connected and stuff, then asks you for your account number so it can register your modem with the homebase. Well, I never got a new number, so I used my old one... big mistake. For some reason it never really clicked over with registration. Short version of the remaining story is a 20 minute call with a cool but slightly confused tech got the connection to work, but it's apparently using my old account number. He doesn't even know how that happened, but the account is running until someone decides to really flip the switch abd turn off the our old account. When that does happen, my connection will die and I have to go through the wizard again using my new account number, which he provided.

So yeah, fun stuff. Next few weeks are going to be nice and hectic while we get all this stuff fixed. Good news is, once everything is fixed this place is going to be freaking awesome. We really like everything, we just gotta get more bugs than usual worked out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 07:46:47 AM »
Jeez, what a pain.  But yeah, I had the same thing happen with my Comcast service.  I think what I ended up doing was determining that though everything was in order it just wanted some kind of useless thing to push through and get past the startup thingy even though everything was already set up.  So I called the tech guy and he just turned off the need for whatever check it was running and it's been fine since.

Glad things are working out, but sucks there's so much that needs fixing.  We got really lucky with our place because the few things that needed help got fixed like right away.  Our fridge was crappy and he ordered us a new one like the second we told him about it.  Pretty great.

And again, let me know if you need more help.  Happy to come over and assist if there's any need.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »
Im glad your digging your new place besides the little problems. At least your ISP doesnt have technical difficulties for over a 24 hour period like mine did.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 03:54:59 PM »
Comcast seems like a bitch as far as Internet goes.  It always seems like you have some wierd hoops to jump through with them, or can't run certain services on your router, etc.  I have Cincy Bell Zoomtown and they don't even care that I have a web server.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 07:49:03 PM »
It's pretty much comcast or nothing when it comes to cable around here.  I've had more than my share of problems with them, and god forbid if you didn't want to bundle internet, phone and cable TV together, they'd charge you $100 a month for any of them individually.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 07, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »
I never really had problems with Comcast before and that's more or less the worst of it. I mean, it worked after twenty minutes and it probably could have worked sooner if I didn't try to connect having my computer go through a router the first time (I didn't mention that, but it is worth noting). Aimee's since talked to them to make sure we're not caught up in some fluke and so we won't get billed twice and things look happy. For a couple months in one of my apartments I used Earthlink DSL because Comcast strangely didn't have wiring in that whole block. It sucked. It was supposedly broadband, but it was only marginally faster than dialup half the time. As soon as I got the chance I switched back to Comcast and haven't looked back.

But yeah, more moving stuff is happening and we've begun the settling in stage with what we can given our furniture isn't here yet. Fun stuff.