Author Topic: Be ware of crooked practices from mobile companies.  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Be ware of crooked practices from mobile companies.
« on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 08:57:36 AM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/04/bogus.phone.fees/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Cellular companies stack on little charges, which are essentially bullshit.

Think of how many customers these guys have, and think of how much money they swindle by just charging a few extra bucks per person for bullshit.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Be ware of crooked practices from mobile companies.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
Man thats some fucking shady ass corporate business at work... fuck that's ridiculous.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
hah yea...

Check this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/04/verizon.fees.overcharge.fcc/index.html

This is what started the mess.

Millions of Verizon Wireless customers should have rebates on the way after the company said it incorrectly charged mobile phone users tens of millions of dollars for data they didn't use.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has confirmed it is investigating these "mystery fees," which could amount to $50 million in total.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »
Prepaid is the way to go IMO.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
Man, Fido did some similar BS with me a few years ago! As long as I called and complained about the error on the bill I'd get amended bills or refunds if I had already paid.

One time Fido actually owed me money, $250. They were due to pay me back after six months of service (it was a security fee). It took them 13 months to pay me back. I bitched them out of course and then argued that if I had owed them $250 I would have been swamped in late fees by now. They offered to waive my cell phone fees for the next two months and gave me $60 worth of talk time, so I took the deal. I kept my eyes on every bill ever since.

My last trip to Canada I went with a prepaid/pay-as-you-go phone.. It was F'ing expensive, man. It cost me $1.50 a day just to receive calls and texts! That should calculate to $45 a month. If I made any calls that meant needing to recharge my credit sooner, so basically I charged my phone with $50 roughly twice a month.. Now we're talking $100 a month for the absolute bare minimum phone service just because I went with prepaid in Canada. I would have gone with a plan but I had no choice since for some retarded reason Fido told me I needed either a Canadian passport or a Canadian residency card.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
When I did have a cell phone, I never used it for anything that worked on a charge as you go setup. I had unlimited minutes, unlimited long distance and roaming, and no data/texting. Actually I don't think the options for data were that great back then (talking 2004 or so), but still I refused to sign up for texting because I think they wanted to charge per text.