Author Topic: Marina Abramovic stares for 700 hours, and it is art.  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Marina Abramovic stares for 700 hours, and it is art.
« on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 11:27:11 PM »
Okaaaaaaaaaaay then...

1 June 2010, 9:27
Artist completes 700 hour stare

A Serbian artist has completed the world's longest ever piece of performance art by staring at members of the public for 700 hours.

Marina Abramovic sat for seven hours a day, six days a week, on a chair for her installation, entitled The Artist Is Present at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Visitors were invited to sit in a chair facing her and simply return her silent gaze.

Celebrities including Bjork, Lou Reed, Marisa Tomei and Isabella Rossellini were among the 1,400 people who came and sat opposite the artist, who always dressed in a long cassock.

Some spent an entire day sitting opposite Abramovic while others managed just a couple of minutes.

Other parts of her retrospective at the museum proved similarly controversial, particularly Imponderabilia, in which visitors must squeeze past a naked man and woman who stand facing each other in a narrow doorway.

Abramovic's more challenging solo work has also included stabbing herself, playing with fire and standing motionless for six hours, having invited visitors to do anything they liked to her. At one point, a man held a gun to her neck but she remained still.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Abramovi%C4%87

Check out of some of the weird crap she's done:

http://www.google.com.pk/images?q=Marina%20Abramovic&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1920&bih=994

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Marina Abramovic stares for 700 hours, and it is art.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 11:59:30 PM »
Somebody wants attention...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 12:05:36 AM »
I saw something about this maybe 5 or 6 months ago. I knew right away that my definition of art didn't sync with hers.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
"Artists" are retarded.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 03:43:14 AM »
Yep, that's just one of the many odd performance art forms I had to study. It is weird.

The worst in my opinion is still the dude who took a dump on a public restroom floor then smeared the poop around the wall. Worst part was actually watching the shit come out of his anus. I still don't get why "shock value" still has so much credence in art.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »
Fucking idiot.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
I think it'd be fun to go to an exhibit where the artist does nothing but stare. You guys are too uptight.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 12:05:24 AM »
I think it'd be fun to go to an exhibit where the artist does nothing but stare. You guys are too uptight.

I'm pretty sure she would stop if she was forced to stare at your face for very long.  :-*