Author Topic: Nintendo WIIU info dump: Yoshi, Zelda, and more  (Read 3107 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Nintendo WIIU info dump: Yoshi, Zelda, and more
« on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »

Also WiiU Virtual Console with NES, SNES, and coming soon GBA games. Miiverse and supports playing on the gamepad. There is a little catch, though. You can still play your Wii VC games, but only in Wii mode. You can upgrade to the WiiU versions for $1 or so. But if the gamepad and miiverse stuff doesn't matter to you you can skip it. Just note that its not an automatic upgrade.

New 3D Mario game coming from the Galaxy team, and a new Mario Kart. Both should have demos at E3. Should see something about a new Smash Bros then too. New Zelda in addition to the Wind Waker HD remake, possibly open world.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Nintendo WIIU info dump: Yoshi, Zelda, and more
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »
I'm all for making Zelda more open-world.  I'm scared of anything coop creeping into Zelda.  It can kill the game dead for me, if it gets in the way of solo play.

Wind Waker HD.  Buy a new system, buy an old game again.  No thanks.  I'll wait for new stuff I want before I consider buying anything.  I suppose the Tingle stuff will go into the pad screen.  (Before, you needed a GBA and link cable.)  That could all end up pretty cool for new players.  If the new Yoshi is more like Story than Island, I probably won't want that either.

Still, it's good to see some progress on the horizon.  It gives me hope that Nintendo and their new console will stay relevant.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
I was wondering why Nintendo would announce and show this stuff now instead of E3, but they probably realized that E3 is going to be dominated by MS and Sony showing of their next systems. Might as well get out in front of it so you aren't drowned out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
I have a feeling Nintendo was blindsided by the next gen somehow.  They were happily in their own little world, developing Wii 2, and suddenly reality intruded upon them.  Now they need to make their technically half-assed effort pay off ASAP.  If they can get enough userbase before the end of the year, they have a chance to recoup their investment, and maybe even make some profit.  Yeah, even E3 may be too late.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »
Well, fuck.  Looks like Monolith Soft is making me buy another Nintendo system.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
I have a feeling Nintendo was blindsided by the next gen somehow.  They were happily in their own little world, developing Wii 2, and suddenly reality intruded upon them.  Now they need to make their technically half-assed effort pay off ASAP.  If they can get enough userbase before the end of the year, they have a chance to recoup their investment, and maybe even make some profit.  Yeah, even E3 may be too late.

This.  They're worried. They also should be.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 12:44:30 AM »
OH GOD, I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THE MONOLITH SOFT TRAILER! AHHHHHHHHHH!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
I think Nintendo's been a supplemental console at best for a couple of generations now, at least for the "hardcore" players.  They gambled and won big on the Wii with the casual crowd.  Unfortunately I think they learned the hard way that the casual audience really doesn't line up to buy more games.

Nintendo is still capable of intriguing me at times.  I'm sure at some point I'll end up with a Wii U down the road simply because it'll be cheap enough to be an impulse purchase.  You used to be able to bank on their first party offerings, but now even that isn't the case any more.

Also, the age of a console existing solely to play a game is over.  And Nintendo hasn't handled their online presence well in the slightest.  For once I can actually see a future in which Nintendo does not manufacture consoles.