Author Topic: This is why I still don't have a HDTV  (Read 2486 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
This is why I still don't have a HDTV
« on: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
http://dvice.com/archives/2010/11/ultra-definitio-1.php

A 70" TV with a 3840 x 2160 resolution at 240 Hz (with 480 Hz possible in the near future).

TV used to be more standard but now it is following other tech trends and is constantly improving.  I'd hate to make a multi-thousand dollar investment only to quickly feel upstaged.

Obviously the supply of content that can take advantage of tech like this will lag far behind the tech itself, but still...

Offline ren

• Veteran
Re: This is why I still don't have a HDTV
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
I wouldn't call an HDTV a multi-thousand dollar investment. You can get a tv substantially better than a CRT for under a thousand. It'll probably be about a decade before the successor to Blu-Ray comes and you can take advantage of that resolution anyways.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »
Bleh, forget that. You can get a nice HDTV for $500 or less. Its nice and I'm so not concerned with a resolution or refresh rate that no one will take advantage of for at least a decade or more.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
I am wondering if, at 70", you will notice the difference between 1080p and 2160p.  I am going to honestly say that I think the difference will be negligible.

Keep in mind that the difference between SD and Full HD is staggering because there are 6.75x more pixels.  It's night and day.  There's a lot of support for HD content, with movies, TV, sports, and video games all supporting it.  That said, 1080p for TV content is still not possible, so there is still a lag in content delivery. 

However, the difference between 1080p and Ultra HD is not as large. 

From personal experience, I can tell you that the difference between even 720p and 1080p isn't very noticeable until you go into very large screens.

I think the markets have accepted Full HD (but not 3D) and will stay there for a while. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »
TV standards are exactly that: standards.  We all have to be on the same page, or we won't be able to display broadcasts from cable or the airwaves.  The current standards were 25-30 years in the making, and took over a decade to phase in.  Television is set in stone for a while.  Nobody fret about rapidly changing anything.  Now, uber-res screens capable of displaying proprietary content from a dedicated player or digital service are something different.  That's not television, but something more like PC monitors.  Feel free to experiment with resolution overkill as far as your wallet will allow.  Me, I'm perfectly happy with 720p and 1080i/p for the foreseeable future.  No 3D for me either, since I don't believe it's possible on fixed TV sets without dedicated eyewear.

Offline Gup

• n00b
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 13, 2010, 12:59:21 AM »
You are missing out. HDTVs are great.