Author Topic: Best of 2010 Awards - IGN; G4TV; Shacknews  (Read 4017 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Best of 2010 Awards - IGN; G4TV; Shacknews
« on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
IGN - Best of 2010 Awards

Game Of The Year Winners
PC - Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
X360 - Mass Effect 2
PS3 - Heavy Rain
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 2

PC Awards.
PC Game Of The Year; Best Competitive Multiplayer; Best Strategy Game; Best Blockbuster Game - Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Best Story; Most Innovative Gameplay; Best Character - The Illusive Man; Best Visuals; Best Soundtrack; Best Sci-Fi Game - Mass Effect 2

Funniest Game - DeathSpank
Coolest Atmosphere; Best Horror Game - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Most Addictive Game; Best MMO - WOW: Cataclysm
Most Bang For Your Buck - Fallout: New Vegas
Most Challenging - ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead
Best Quick Fix - Bejeweled 3
Best Fantasy Game - Darksiders
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 04:42:38 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: IGN - Best of 2010 Awards
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
Note: Minecraft is not being considered for year-end awards this time around since it is still in development.

Boo-urns!

PC Game Of The Year, Most Innovative Gameplay, Coolest Atmosphere, Most Addictive Game, Most Bang For Your Buck, Best Quick Fix - Minecraft
Thats what it should have been.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
@Idol
Aren't many games that are officially released for sale actually still feel like they're still in development [and need patching]?  :o

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
PS3 GOTY was Heavy Rain and Xbox360 GOTY was Mass Effect 2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
PS3 GOTY was Heavy Rain and Xbox360 GOTY was Mass Effect 2.
Added to the list up front.
Thanks for mentioning that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 06:36:35 PM »
G4TV - Best Video Games of 2010 Awards

GAME OF THE YEAR; BEST WRITING; BEST ROLE-PLAYING GAME - Mass Effect 2

MOST ORIGINAL GAME; BEST ART DIRECTION; BEST SOUND DESIGN; BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME - Limbo

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME; VIDEOGAME DEATHMATCH WINNER; BEST STRATEGY GAME - StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME - Red Dead Redemption
BEST DLC - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

BEST MULTIPLAYER CO-OP - Halo: Reach
BEST SHOOTER - Call of Duty: Black Ops
BEST ANIMATION; BEST SPORTS GAME - NBA 2K11
BEST SOUNDTRACK - Disney Epic Mickey
BEST RACING GAME - Split/Second
BEST MUSIC / RHYTHM GAME - Rock Band 3
BEST FIGHTING GAME - Super Street Fighter IV
BEST GAMEPLAY INNOVATION - Kinect
BEST HANDHELD GAME - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
BEST GAMEPLAY INNOVATION
Kinect
Must have been a shitty year for innovation.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
Must have been a shitty year for innovation.

I guess it got it for making "The player" literally the controller.

I'm just curious when there'll be a game that'll really blow everyone's mind, instead of having all these glorified tech demos.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Best of 2010 Awards - IGN; G4TV
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »
Wow, Heavy Rain got PS3 game of the year? Was there really nothing else PS3 exclusive that was better this year?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 09:25:40 AM »
I guess it got it for making "The player" literally the controller.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »
Tom Chick's list of Ten Most Overrated Games of 2010.
Tom Chick's Ten Most Overrated Games Of 2010
10) Super Mario Galaxy 2
9) Call of Duty: Black Ops
8.) Transformers: War for Cybertron
7) Heavy Rain
6) God of War III
5) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
4) Halo: Reach
3) Mass Effect 2
2) Red Dead Redemption
1) Starcraft II

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 04:12:05 PM »
Tom Chick's list of Ten Most Overrated Games of 2010.
Tom Chick's Ten Most Overrated Games Of 2010

That was a stupid article for all sorts of reasons.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
Tom Chick is great at trolling gamers. I'm sure the GameFAQs board just exploded.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
Overall this year sucked for gaming though compared to 2009.  To be quite honest aside from Mass Effect 2, God of War III, and Heavy Rain, I don't think I played much else that came out in 2010.  I do want to get AC: Brotherhood but that will have to wait.

2011 is looking amazing though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
I certainly disagree majorly w/ Mass Effect 2 on Tom Chick's list. Seriously - it's my pick for GOTY. There's nothing even remotely in the realm of this game in 2010.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
Tom Chick is great at trolling gamers.

haha as if that is difficult to do.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »
I wanna know how NFS: Hot Pursuit got on the list of "Overrated".
I didn't realize it was even gonna be "highly hyped" or "highly rated."

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »
Tom Chick is great at trolling gamers. I'm sure the GameFAQs board just exploded.

Is any of what he said about ME 2 remotely true?  He makes it look like a failed amateur effort (in that list he links in the ME 2 blurb).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
The guy is a moron.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »
He seems like an attention-whore.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »
Is any of what he said about ME 2 remotely true?  He makes it look like a failed amateur effort (in that list he links in the ME 2 blurb).

Some of the stuff he hated about ME2 is what I liked about the game, for the most part.

Well, except the planet scanning. Planet scanning is something you should do here and there, not altogether in long clips of time. If you do too much of it in a row, you WILL get bored and find it tedious. So one planet - then move on to a quest.

1) The story
Mass Effect 2 assumes a lot of familiarity with the original Mass Effect. There are regular callbacks to the events and characters of that game. This is certainly a plus for fans of the first game. But as someone who wasn't a fan of the first game, I was constantly lost about the specifics, and I had no desire to go digging around in the codex. And I certainly didn't get a lot of narrative out of shootering my way to the end of a space dungeon. What was left over was a straightforward yarn about saving the galaxy from bug-like aliens doing insidious things. At least it had a cool finale.
I love the Codex in ME1 and 2 - so, that's his damn loss. It's the best Codex around - as it's all even narrated for you. The Witcher, DAO, and other games w/ Codexes didn't take this to the extent ME does. A lot of this stuff is very interesting optional stuff that is all worth reading and listening to.

But, really? What honestly was ME2 about? Was it really about saving the world? Naw, not if you ask me - that's the side-story, if you ask me. The real story in this game is you assemble a squad; you do their personal quest missions [which feel like nice short stories] and wind-up caring about all your NPC's; and you do the suicide mission at the end and really only care about who in your squad lives and dies.

A lot of what they changed for ME2 - i.e. make it more shooter-like - was a bold move and it worked b/c the game in ME1 played like a shooter in the first place anyways. ME1 was really good, but the combat was quite clunky. And yes - the Inventory system in ME1 wasn't that good and the weapon naming was foolish and streamline, too (Devastator 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I had a hard time believing the scathing criticism.  I'll be picking this up sometime.  I liked the first quite a bit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
7) Space dungeons
Bioware assembles worlds from sparsely populated boxes connected by lots of codex text. In the fantasy world of Dragon Age, this works well enough. String together dungeons to represent villages, castles, patches of countryside, and, of course, dungeons. Fair enough. But a space opera is another matter entirely. When you're trying to build a galaxy of different worlds and ships and space stations, teeming with alien life, this basic model is really long in the tooth. I knew that every single quest in Mass Effect 2 - every single one! - was going to involve me shootering my way to the far end a linear space dungeon.
I didn't think there was really nothing wrong w/ ME's way of traveling the galaxy and the way it was set-up. It wasn't too much different than DAO - other than you actually had to buy fuel to move on the map and that you actually literally had to move the ship. In DAO, all you did was click where you wanted to go - and you sat there to wait for the game to decide maybe you'll get there w/out interruption or maybe you'll run into some "encounter(s)" before you reach your destination.

In ME2 - to have planets w/ "hub" areas where you could explore to do all kinds of side quests and stuff like your usual RPG (Normandy ship, that planet were club Afterlife is, etc) and then also have planets that were just there for "linear missions" straight-up out of a Call of Duty playbook worked just fine for this game. I just wish there were a few more "hub" areas. It's a VERY, VERY small complaint, though.

Just like The Witcher, ME2 is more caught-up in the player being right in the action (Witcher does it w/ swords and magic; ME2 does it w/ mostly guns) for the combat and the usual RPG decision-making stuff. Those games really have want you to have less to do really w/ base stats and also weren't meant to have the player juggling around what to do w/ tons of different loot/equipment since their loot is very limited in-game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 17, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Friday, December 17, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
Tom Chicks Most Disappointing of the year.

10) Fallout: New Vegas
I've heard it's great. I wouldn't know because it remains egregiously broken for me. Fallout: New Vegas, which I literally cannot play, is hands down the worst experience I've ever had with a console game. Read the review here. The aborted game diaries started here.

If you have a decent PC - who the hell would buy FO:NV on the consoles, anyways?  :o
Seriously - my old-ass PC ran FO:NV fine w/ most stuff on Medium and 1024x768.
Seriously - the game on the PC has already had a bunch of patches fix tons of issues + plenty of unofficial mods.

FO:NV PC is what we all expected...
Basically FO3's gameplay +
some cool new features (crafting stuff, shoot literally down iron-sights) +
a new story w/ much better narrative storytelling +
re-playability, decision-making, and optionality like that of Alpha Protocol +
so much content and stuff to do you'll keep playing it like its crack for hours galore.

FO:NV might not be the best game this year - but dammit, it is the best bang for your buck this year. My 61 hours w/ this game in one playthrough should tell you plenty here.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 17, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »
You should read his review and game diaries on the game to see why he was disappointed.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »
Keep in mind Tom Chick hated Deus Ex.  He seems to look at things a bit differently.

That said, I'm here to announce that the great Deadly Premonition Has taken the award for  "Most Surprisingly Good Game" at Gamespot.  What is Deadly Premonition you ask?  Well, it seems to be half train wreck game, half brilliant exercise in story telling, as shown in this Very well done Lets Play at somethingawful.com

The basis is a Twin Peaks-like murder mystery in a small American town.  FBI agent is investigating a murder in said small town, there are secrets abound, and surreal moments all up in the place.  The train wreck part is that it was a budget title and the graphics are pretty close to PS2-esque.  well, that and a lot of the gameplay elements are partially horrible (driving, combat).  The brilliant part? Everything fucking else.

The main character is Special Agent Francis York, who might be either the quirkiest or most batshit insane protagonist in a game ever.  Most of the highlights of the game seem to stem from his interactions with the only slightly less insane townspeople unfortunate enough to cross his path. The little touches seem to be pure brilliance and it all mixes together into what might be the most unique and actually surreal (not in a try-hard way) gaming experience out there.

Now, I don't have a 360 myself, but following the thread I linked to has been extremely entertaining (and it might be the kind of thing that's more fun to watch than to actually be involved in). People in the thread have come out of the woodwork to praise the game, and many claim that it's actually a very good murder mystery as well.  Comparisons have been drawn with Heavy Rain and the general consensus is that Heavy Rain is a pile of shit next to this gem...when comparing story structure.  Either way, I urge you to check out the game or check out the Lets Play.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 08:17:29 AM »
That's odd.  Not the game, the about face in the reviews.  It's comical, really.  The game looks downright freaky.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
You should read his review and game diaries on the game to see why he was disappointed.
Just read it - thanks, Idol.

Obsidian has a VERY bad track record of releasing games in a buggy state and unbalanced state upon release - PERIOD. Look at their track record - Alpha Protocol; KOTOR 2; NWN2; and FO:NV. They are basically the modern-day Troika - no surprise honestly, since many ex-Troika and ex-BIS people work there, actually.

You really should wait until any Obsidian game's got a few patches behind it; and/or [if you got the PC version] wait until the mod community starts majorly mucking around with it/fixing it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
Shacknews -> Best of 2010.

Best X360 Exclusive; Best RPG; Best Magic Moment - Mass Effect 2
Best PS3 Exclusive; Best Action Platformer - God of War 3
Best PC Exclusive; Best Strategy; Best "Plays Well With Others" Game - Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
Best Wii Exclusive - Kirby's Epic Yarn

Best Multiplatform Game; Best Action-Adventure; Best Story; Best Audio-Visual Experience - Red Dead Redemption (X360, PS3)
Best DLC Add-On - RDR: Undead Nightmare
New Face We Want To See Again - John Marston from RDR

Best Indie Game - LIMBO
Best Downloadable Game - Monday Night Combat
Best Shooter - Halo: Reach
Best Racing - NFS: Hot Pursuit
Best Sports - NBA 2K11
Best Retro-Redux - Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Best Unsung Hero [AKA Best Game No One Played] - Alan Wake

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Best of 2010 Awards - IGN; G4TV; Shacknews
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
Okay, about Deadly Premonition....holy shit, this is the bomb.  If you can see it, you need to check out the LP at something awful:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Check the posts out for the fan art because it's amazing.  I'm really tempted to buy a 360 for this game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, January 16, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
Damn it.  I forgot that I picked this up a while back.  Damn it.  Now I have more shit to play and no time to play it.  I saw it at Best Buy one day and I just couldn't help it.  I had to.  But I play so few 360 games I forgot that I picked it up.  How sad is that?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
PC Gamer's Best PC Games of 2010.
Game Of The Year - Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
RTS Of The Year - Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
Shooter of The Year - COD: Black Ops
Puzzle Game of The Year - Puzzle Agent
Best Free-To-Play Game Of The Year - League of Legends
Best RPG Of The Year - Fallout: New Vegas
Sports Game Of The Year - NBA 2K11
Adventure Game of the Year - Monkey Island 2: Special Edition - LeChuck’s Revenge
MMO Of The Year - LOTR Online
Strategy Game of the Year - Civilization 5
Simulation of the Year - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2
Action-Adventure Game of the Year - The Ball
Mod of the Year - Nehrim: At Fate’s Edge (for Oblivion)
Innovator of the Year - Minecraft