Author Topic: Super Meat Boy  (Read 11418 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Super Meat Boy
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »
A friend is having a similar problem. He recovered his gamertag onto a friend's console to play Black Ops and make progress on his own account. When he got home and tried to recover it back to his own console, he got "cannot recover your profile".

Oh, and on Super Meat Boy related news, there's some new announced characters for the PC version. we know about Mr. Minecraft and Captain Veridian (from VVVVVV), but now we know the Steam version will have a playable head crab, from Half-Life, and non-Steam versions will get a Goo Ball from World of Goo. Also according to the Giant Bomb wiki page for SMB, the PC version will include Josef from Machinarium, though I'm pretty sure this is unconfirmed, and is just guesswork based on the silhouettes of unannounced characters, and the clue that one of them is not even organic.

PC release date is Nov 30.

Also, 33% off for Steam preorders. Preorders will be available on Nov 23rd, and the game will be $10 to anyone who preorders it.

BTW, THIS WEEK IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO GET THE GAME FOR $10 ON XBLA. The sale is ending after this week, and it'll be $15.

I'll update the first post with the new PC info.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Super Meat Boy - PC version out 11/30, $10 if you preorder
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »
I got it working, I tried it today and it finally downloaded. This game is terrible, by terrible I mean awesome.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Preordered for PC
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »
Haha, beautiful commercial.  I'm very tempted to grab this.  Very, very tempted.  Too tempted.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »
Hahaha!   ;D

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 19, 2010, 04:37:31 AM »
Apparently if you look at someone's status while they're playing, it tells you how many times they've died on the level they're working on. I just watched it count up, from 14, to 18, to 22, to 24, to 28 deaths on 1-14x (x=dark mode) for Pyro. I can see he's now 18 deaths into 1-15x.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 19, 2010, 04:58:39 AM »
Hahaha, yea I just finished off the darkworld for world 1. It's already ridiculously hard on the first world and I haven't seen anything yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Friday, November 19, 2010, 07:50:53 AM »
Haha, that's completely awesome.

Finally installed Pyro's old 360 HDD and downloaded this.  I couldn't take it.  Had to play.  Finished every single level in world 1 at A+, dark and light, with all warp zones, and only missed 4 bandages.  This game is fucking awesome... I don't really think it's all that hard, either.  It's so quick and breezy that even when you die a bunch you're right back at it.  Getting a few of the bandages was tough, but otherwise I was just having pure fun.  And when the level seems especially nuts and you get through it anyway, it's great to feel the sense of "Damn, I'm awesome!" that comes over you.

Anyway... hooray for Meat Boy!  Everyone should get this.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 20, 2010, 02:57:13 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, November 21, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
The Sewers of Dross is out!

It's a new chapter for Teh Internets, all themed around the Gish character. Oh and it's FREE of course.

EDIT: Holy shit, this is like relearning to play the game all over again. I played through the whole game as Meat Boy, so had no idea how Gish handled. You hold run to stick to walls, and if you hold jump as well, you'll stick to ceilings. Only on level 2 and I already find myself needing to time releases of run to slide past saws, and also time releases of run so I can wall jump into an upward wall slide, then press run again to stick to the wall and stop my slide.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
PETA makes a parody of Super Meat Boy with Super Tofu Boy.

Bandage Girl apparently prefers Tofu Boy, Meat Boy is jealous and kidnaps her, and Tofu Boy must save her.

Edmund McMillon (SMB creator) is flattered an organisation as big as PETA would take notice of a project as small as Super Meat Boy, and admits to trolling their forums anonymously hoping for something like this. He also let's his opinion on PETA be known.
Its hard to make a come back to a company that is high brow enough to compare concentration camps to chicken coops.. but ill try and close this with a joke that's a bit more light hearted.

How many Peta members does it take to change a lightbulb?....
None, Peta can't change anything.

Also, he tweeted that there would be an update to the PC version today that adds Super Tofu Boy as a playable character.
EDIT: ROFL you access him by typing "petaphile" at the character select screen, update should be going out any time now.

Also, I think the Direct 2 Drive version of Super Meat Boy is supposed to be out today.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 02, 2010, 02:32:17 PM by W7RE »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Super Meat Boy - D2D version out Dec 2
« Reply #51 on: Monday, December 06, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
Check out the box art for the special limited boxed PC version.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #52 on: Monday, December 06, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »
Holy shit that's awesome. I want a poster of that.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »
Super Tofu Boy in action. It's funny how great the whole Peta thing seems to have turned out for the game.

So, I think I can see myself buying the game again when the nice PC version comes out. It's that good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »
Yeah, he's sickly and weak! I love that the code to unlock him is "petaphile" ;D hehe

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #55 on: Monday, December 20, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
So I'm loving this game but I've learned pretty quickly that using a keyboard to play the game really fucking blows. So I broke out my PS3 controller and searched for some Windows 7 x86 drivers and there's almost nothing out there. There is one driver out there but it's unresponsive as hell for me when I play the game - the keyboard is quicker. So I got out a REALLY old pc controller out of desperation and that was even worse. I think I got it 10 years ago...haha...

So yeah..I'm thinking of installing a virtual XP machine just to get my fucking PS3 controller to work. This game is already an exercise in frustration (albeit a fun one) without having to deal with a keyboard.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #56 on: Monday, December 20, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I bought this from Steam today. :) So, yay.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
WiiWare version being canceled because Nintendo's 40mb limit is too small.

Didn't Xbox Live have a 50mb limit initially that Microsoft cut when they realized it wasn't worth hampering the games with the size limit? I guess it's different when you have a hard drive to fall back on (even with it was considered optional at the time). It's probably not so bad as the HD resolutions make the game better by allowing for smaller characters while showing more of the level. Even still, I imagine most people with an internet connection could probably play the PC version. Maybe this will spur a PSN release or something.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 11:41:13 PM »
Maybe this will spur a PSN release or something.

They've stated before that they have an exclusivity deal with Microsoft, so it'll never be on PSN. Basically Sony didn't seem really excited when they were initially showing it off, and so they accepted when MS wanted an it to remain exclusive to Xbox 360. (not counting PC and Wii, of course)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
Nintendo and Sony are clowns.  This is, like, the best game ever.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, January 06, 2011, 01:34:13 AM »
Seriously.  Any idiot at Sony that didn't get excited about it should be fired.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Monday, February 28, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #62 on: Monday, February 28, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I meant to pick this up on the Xbox over reading week but I ended up not having any time to do any gaming.  As a result, I'll have to wait until the end of April before getting this.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #63 on: Monday, February 28, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Just don't post your scores, iPPi. I don't want to cry.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, April 09, 2011, 07:33:42 AM »
PC Gamer -> A look at the Super Meat Boy - Ultra Edition (Retail Box) for the PC version.

Within the confines of this blood-red box, you’ll find the following extras:

A 40-page booklet that is half-comic and half-sketchbook
    A mini-poster by Dave Rapoza
    The ability to play as Alien Hominid (formerly an Xbox-exclusive character)
    A digital soundtrack including songs by retro-maestro Danny B.
    The game itself (300+ stages, unlockable characters, a level editor, etc. etc. etc.)
    The fuzzy feeling one gets from supporting one of the best indie games around

Game-Box

Here's the Poster

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »
Such a sucker for that shit... I may well grab that at some point.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #67 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
I really need to get some sort of gamepad for my PC.  I used to use a regular Xbox 360 pad with the Microsoft wireless receiver for PC but it died when my southbridge on my old motherboard was going bad; however, Microsoft basically aborted the thing and it is virtually impossible to find evidence that they even made it at some point, much less give you the ability to buy a new one.

Any suggestions?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
I don't think there's really a good solution these days. Ordering a wired 360 controller might still be the best way to go unfortunately.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
Yeah, a wired 360 pad is the way to go for most modern games since they will support it natively. I'm still looking for something to use with emulation since the dpad on the 360 is horrible for something that requires precision.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
I really need to get some sort of gamepad for my PC.  I used to use a regular Xbox 360 pad with the Microsoft wireless receiver for PC but it died when my southbridge on my old motherboard was going bad; however, Microsoft basically aborted the thing and it is virtually impossible to find evidence that they even made it at some point, much less give you the ability to buy a new one.

Any suggestions?
yeah, I had a really hard time finding one! The only way was to actually buy a new X360 Wireless Controller for Windows that comes with the receiver (~$70).. Then I pawned off the controller to a friend with an X360.

Your best bet, in my opinion, will be with the Logitech F series, the ones that can switch between DirectInput and XInput.

The wireless choice: F710
The wired + rumble choice: F510
The vanilla wired choice: F310

Pros:
-Great d-pad
-Switch between DirectInput for legacy games or XInput for newer stuff.
-Quality material and firm, rubberized grips.

Cons:
-A little wide for my hands, triggers are far for my index fingers (that's more of a personal gripe).

If you'd rather stick with the X360 controller, the special edition controller with the transforming d-pad is pretty decent:

Pros:
-Much better d-pad than the original X360 pad.
-Solid build, with nice smooth texture.
-Analogue sticks have defined grooves that your thumbs grip better.

Cons:
-Requires the wireless receiver to work on PC.
-Discoloured face buttons: X is dark grey, B is grey, A is light grey, and Y is white instead of the classic colours I'm used to.

Alterntively, going with the X360 pd format, there's also the Razer Onza which is wired:

i haven't tried this one out myself, so I can't supply a reliable pros/cons list but it looks pretty sleek.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
Is the Onza finally available?  I've been waiting like a year for that to happen.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »
My wireless 360 pad also just died.  I looked it up and it seems there's a problem with the receivers themselves and something just needs to be soldered.  I'm useless at it, but if it's worth taking a look at if you know what you're doing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #73 on: Monday, April 11, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
Is the Onza finally available?  I've been waiting like a year for that to happen.
Whoops, I may have spoken too soon. I got a little excited about that gamepad :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 06:43:15 AM »
Update: The Razer Onza is out! Just spotted both editions of it in one of my local Electronics stores.

Prices seem to be competitive with wireless controllers even though the Onza is wired.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the news.  I need to keep an eye out for it and more recent feedback.  Hopefully, they have all design and QC issues handled.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
So I've been playing this the last week or so. I'm on the "last" world, my thumb is sore, but I've really been enjoying it. Tonight I went to the bookstore so I could update it with the new Super Meat World where you can download custom levels made by the community, LittleBigPlanet-style. Levels being only a few KB in size helps.

Interestingly, even though this is technically a Steam game it does not require Steam to be running to play it. Steam has been acting funny on me so I've been launching the SMB exe directly and the game doesn't care. I can even still access World and download levels. All I miss out on are achievements which is no biggie.

*EDIT*

Just beat the game. Well I beat Dr Fetus, anyway. Now theres the Bandage Girl levels, all the dark levels I missed, collecting more bandages, etc. There is a crapload of content in this game.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 11:26:59 PM by idolminds »