Author Topic: The Warhammer universe  (Read 1906 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
The Warhammer universe
« on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
I want to dive in, but I'm not sure where to start. And also, Warhammer? Warhammer 40K? Are these different time periods of the same universe, or just alternate versions of the same ideas? I've had a taste of Warhammer with the MMO (not great, but the characters and races are great), and looking at the upcoming Space Marine game and 40K MMO, I'm getting more curious about the worlds.

EDIT: To specify, I guess I"m asking about books here. I don't live close enough to civilization or have any interested friends to make the table top games an option.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: The Warhammer universe
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
They are alternate versions I'm pretty sure. I prefer 40k myself but Warhammer universe is still pretty fantastic. it is a shame the MMO sunk because of its many problems because the lore is awesome. I'm hoping the new 40k mmo will be worthy of its license.

as for 40k, a good way to introduce yourself to the universe is play Dawn of War. That's how I learned about it. For course, you may not like RTS's so you'd have to find another way.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »
I'd say Dawn of War games are a great place to start because they're awesome in general.  As far as books... I'd say the easiest and most basic thing would be to start out with the Ultramarines Omnibus.  Gives you a pretty basic overview of stuff and has lots of good, violent fun on the way.  And basically you get 3 novels in one fat volume.  I haven't read the Horus Heresy series, written by a number of different authors across a wide span of books, but that tells a big piece of the Empire's history.  There's also an omnibus that collects some Inquisitor stuff, if you're into that, and there are other different series dedicated to different aspects of the universe.  But I figure the Empire is the most basic structure, and the Space Marines are the most iconic part of the Empire, so that seems like a logical place to start.  It'll give you what you expect out of the universe even if it doesn't stray too far from that.

Personally I think 40k beats the shit out of fantasy, but that isn't to say that fantasy is bad... just that 40k is probably more unique in the sci-fi spectrum than fantasy is to the fantasy spectrum.  I don't know much about fantasy, though, so I can't give you anything there.  Sy will probably chime in shortly with more 40k stuff.  He knows all.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
Straight Warhammer (Fantasy) and Warhammer 40K (Sci-Fi) are basically separate universes that share a lot of similar elements. I think 40K is way more interesting and original, but there still is a pretty rich written history for Warhammer. Really, the best thing fantasy has going for it are just interesting races. There are all sorts of ideas of how the universes could be connected, but none of them are officially recognized by Games-Workshop and, at best, tend to be like fan-fics.

Honestly, the best place to start is probably the rulebooks for the games. While you might not use them to play the game, they tend to have pretty excellent background sections that give you the general story and touch on most of the major points. They really do form the core of the universe and, without them, I sort of feel like you'd be missing the foundation which a lot of the novels seem to treat as prior knowledge. They're also just kind of fun to look at, sort of like how a D&D book might be. If you want to try a game, Dawn of War 2 does a good job of just showing the character and feel of major elements of 40K.

If you want books, Que's Ultramarines suggestion is good for the Space Marine side of things. It'll show more or less what the Space Marines are about in the best ways that I know of and, like Que said, is a good place to start since they're the most iconic element of 40K. If you want to go further into the universe and see how interesting it can get, go to the Eisenhorn series (this is probably the Inquisitor book Que mentioned). Like the Ultramarines stuff, it's collected into an Omnibus and gives you a fair amount of bang for your buck. Eisenhorn follows the career of an Inquisitor(something like the Spectors of Mass Effect, only far scarier) and it covers all sorts of things that are far too subtle for Space Marine stories. Usually, these series is cited as the best written of all the 40K stuff out there, so it's hard to go wrong with it if you're into sci-fi. If you want something more "fun," there's the Ciaphas Cain series (also in Omnibuses) which covers the career of an officer in the normal human armies. The Cain novels have a good sense of humor and, in a way, make fun of how absurd the universe can be. I'd say the Cain series is something like a love letter to Warhammer 40K and, therefore, might not be the best place to start but a good place to continue. There's the Heresy series as well, but they vary wildly in quality and I feel like they're really only worth your time if you've already got a bit of background info since they're all about filling in details of the major history events that are referenced constantly. They're not a good place to start, but fun if you really get into things. I haven't kept up with it, but the first few books were cool.

I haven't read any of the fantasy books (rulebook included), so I can't really help you there.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 03:04:47 AM »
Bumping this topic to say that I did pick up The Ultramarines Omnibus shortly after reading the responses. I only just started reading it recently though, but I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm already thinking about what to read next.

I'm wondering though: Are there any good WH40k books that feature a non-human protagonist? Maybe a chaos space marine, or an ork or something? I'm really interested in those races and their backgrounds. i want to know how the orks live, I want to know all about the chaos gods and their followers. I'm sure I can get a lot of info from the codices for each race from the tabletop game, but I'm wondering if any of the books go there as well. Or is most of this stuff just covered briefly as human forces encounter them?