Author Topic: Cthulhu Saves the World  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Cthulhu Saves the World
« on: Sunday, January 02, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
I, uh... hmm... what?

You play Cthulhu.  You save the world.  You're in an NES-style RPG.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Cthulhu Saves the World
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »
Oh hell yes, I will have to get this.  It's only 240 points as well.  Awesome.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 03, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
If you like this one, check out Breath of Death VII (also on the Xbox Live Indie channel). It's made by the same guys.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
240 points?  Cool!  I've had these 300 leftover points for months now.  Can't get rid of them because of the way MS designed the points buying to keep you a few dollars in the hole.  Gotta try that.  Hope I like it.

Edit:  I couldn't find it on the Xbox lists, so I ended up going here to get the trial.  Unfortunately, it identified itself as an indie title after download.  It requires you to be tethered to XBL to play.  (Fuck . . .)  That's always a deal breaker for me.  Now I won't even try the demo.

I couldn't find it on the Xbox's indie list either.  So either I'm doing something wrong or they have yet to update the indie list on the xbox.  Use the link above if you want this game despite the Ubisoft-like restriction.

Edit 2: Never mind.  I found it on the indie games list after all.  It was further back than I expected.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 10:35:27 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
Yea, both Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World are XBL Indie games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »
Good news (everyone)!
Unfortunately, we had to cut a few features that were originally intended for the game due to a lack of funds and time. The most prominent of these features is the special remix mode - Cthulhu's Angels. In this mode, Cthulu is too lazy to be a hero himself so he talks a group of talented women into doing his heroic deeds for him. New dialogue, new monsters, new songs, a new playable character, and a new dungeon are some of the additions this mode will contain.

We are currently trying to raise funds so that we can add this new mode back into the game and so that we can port the game to the PC so that people without an XBox 360 can enjoy the game. Although we have set $3000 as the bare minimum to accomplish this project, the more funds we receive, the more features we can add and the faster we can release the new versions. Note, that although our focus will be on creating the new PC version of the game, the new content will be added to both the PC version and the existing XBox 360 version.

As a side benefit, once we have ported Cthulhu Saves the World to the PC, it should be relatively easy to port our previous game, Breath of Death VII: The Beginning, to the PC as well as all future games we create.
The best part? They already reached their goal with 28 days to go! Of course you can still donate to get goodies and help the dudes out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
Awesome sauce!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
Release soon!

They got approved for a Steam release, but it should also be available other places as well. $3? Awesome.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
So like, its out on Steam and GamersGate. $3 for both games, just as advertised. Giantbomb did a Quick Look.

I think for $3 I'll just grab em.

EDIT: I decided to watch the QL before buying and....glad I did. Funny premise but I wasn't a big fan of those old school RPGs and these seem to keep a lot of the things I don't like about them.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 22, 2011, 08:20:13 AM by idolminds »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »
Did anyone play either of these?  I have both in my steam list and am kinda intrigued...but I just don't know.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
Give them a shot.  Start with BoD7, since it explains a bit about the game's mechanics, which are the same for both.  If you start with Cthulhu (as I did) you may be somewhat lost for a while.  No big deal, though.

They're spoofs of 80s console RPGs like Phantasy Star II, and play as such.  I'm not a fan of random battles, and the humor only gets me to tolerate them for so long.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 11:48:59 PM »
Damn, I kinda wish I read this first but I  started Cthulhu Saves the World right after making that post.  I do get what you mean though - they don't really explain some of the mechanics.   And it seems like everything is done right to enjoy the humor without actually falling into most of the pitfalls of the genre it's spoofing.  I mean, they limit the random battles and they play through extremely quickly, which is about all I could ask for.