Author Topic: Silent Hill: Downpour -> Update: Delayed until Q1 2012  (Read 4270 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Silent Hill 8
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »
8?  I didn't even know there was a 6 or 7.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
8?  I didn't even know there was a 6 or 7.
Origins is considered 5.
Homecoming is considered 6.
Shattered Memories is 7.

SH8 is just a working title, for now...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
Read that first preview, but the really good link is actually within that, the interview with Tom Waltz who's working as a writer on the project.  Real good read.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
I've gotten completely lost on the Silent Hill games. I mean I really loved the first two. But I managed to procrastinate on 3 (thanks for not releasing it on xbox, despite releasing 2 on it) and never finish it. And so it began, I would not buy further Silent Hill games because I feel like I have to beat the previous ones first. I don't even know if any of the rest are supposed to be good or not.

One of these days I'll break down and buy a PS2...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
Looking forward to this game, that interview with the writer was a really good read.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 04:01:39 AM »
I've gotten completely lost on the Silent Hill games. I mean I really loved the first two. But I managed to procrastinate on 3 (thanks for not releasing it on xbox, despite releasing 2 on it) and never finish it. And so it began, I would not buy further Silent Hill games because I feel like I have to beat the previous ones first. I don't even know if any of the rest are supposed to be good or not.

One of these days I'll break down and buy a PS2...
Me too.  Well I bought 1 after 2, but couldn't get past the horrible graphics (I never had a PSX).  I beat and played 3, but didn't like it that much.  I tried 4 (The Room) on PC, but couldn't get into it.  I haven't bothered beyond that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 05:15:00 AM »
Same here, Scott. My favourite so far is still SH2.

The main difference I've noticed about SH2 versus all the others is it's the only one that didn't rely heavily on darkness, yet it maintained the freak factor. The rest all seemed to depend on the player not being able to see shit coming for shock value (which is what I hated about Doom 3).

SH4 The Room was just weird and very monotonous. I couldn't get into it. I heard SH: Homecoming was decent.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »

The main difference I've noticed about SH2 versus all the others is it's the only one that didn't rely heavily on darkness, yet it maintained the freak factor. The rest all seemed to depend on the player not being able to see shit coming for shock value (which is what I hated about Doom 3).

SH4 The Room was just weird and very monotonous. I couldn't get into it. I heard SH: Homecoming was decent.

Yeah, SH1 and 2 are my favorite of the SH games. SH3 is probably a close third here.

Hehe - I've had SH:HC on my Steam back-log for sometime, back when I think it was dirt-cheap - like $10 or so. I probably should check it out, when I open up some HD space on this hard-drive.

About SH4: The Room - I did like it, but it was the controls that were what I didn't care for, too much - it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a First Person game (when you're in The Room) or a Third-Person Game (when you're out in the game-world, when you're NOT in The Room). An option to switch b/t the two viewpoints would've been better on-the-fly, if you ask me. If I recall from this old thread on our Older Boards - I wasn't too fond of the controls on SH4 even on the gamepad...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »

I liked SH2 because it was more psychological and, for lack of a better term, deep.  SH3 was more just about demons.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 01:39:05 PM »
SH1 one had those great environments for the hell dimension (or whatever you want to call it) where you're walkig on metal and there's chain link fences all over and bodies and blood all over the place.

I felt like SH2 toned that down a bit, but had a higher level of quality overall. Both were great though, and I much prefer the more atmospheric "what the fuck?" than a startling jump that most horror games try to give you. I remember the first time I saw one of those armless things in SH2, it was off to the side of the screen and quickly crawled under a car. I really didn't get a good look at it, and I said out loud (I think to Belmont, since he was my roommate at the time) "What the fuck as that?" and then tried to get a look at it, but couldn't.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
Destructioid -> Rumor has it Konami has contacted voice-actor Guy Cihi, who in SH2 voiced James Sunderland.

“Konami contacted me after years of no-contact," says Cihi on his Facebook page. "We are discussing issues related to SH2′s continuing popularity. Why now? They either want to re-release SH2 game content, or Sony’s SH2 movie involves James Sunderland. I’ll keep you posted.”

My other thought and question could be - is SH8 (game) going to be a sequel to SH2 (game)?  :o

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Silent Hill 8 - Update: Konami in contact w/ SH2 voice-actor (10-28)
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
If they were smart it would be.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Silent Hill 8 - Update: Konami in contact w/ SH2 voice-actor (10-28)
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 29, 2010, 02:08:33 AM »
Sean Bean (in the SH movie) did resemble Sunderland quite a bit.. I'd love to see the second movie centred around his character and that storyline.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, January 09, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »
Haha will the portable version be dubbed "Silent Hill: Drizzle" suggesting the lighter weather condition and appealing to contemporary hip-hop culture at the same time!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 09, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Haha will the portable version be dubbed "Silent Hill: Drizzle" suggesting the lighter weather condition and appealing to contemporary hip-hop culture at the same time!

"SH: Drizzle" might appeal to hip-hop culture, if they get Drizzy (Drake) in it. ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour -> Update: Delayed until Q1 2012
« Reply #18 on: Monday, October 10, 2011, 08:00:26 PM »
Joystiq -> Delayed until Q1 2012.

As much as I want this, I'm kind of glad about hearing this as it gives me more time to finish other games this quarter.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour -> Update: Delayed until Q1 2012
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, August 04, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
So apparently this came out and everyone hated it, but so far, I'm not getting why. I managed to snag a really cheap copy, though it's generally still $40+.

Anyway, the monster design is pretty lame, I'll grant that, and there are a few technical issues, but so far I'm having a great time and there's a lot of good going on. Some of the cutscenes and otherworld stuff have been really fun and different. It isn't the same old Silent Hill, but at this point, whatever it is that's so awful must be much further in, because I'm having a great time. Enjoying it considerably more than Shattered Memories or Homecoming. The fighting is a bit awkward, but that really just feels more like a throwback to the earlier games. This feels more on par with 2. Lots of melee and it's a bit rough. Puzzles have been pretty decent so far too.

I guess this is kind of... open worldy? There are sidequests and you apparently aren't railroaded into doing a lot of things. I guess it's more enjoyable if you do the sidequests also because they reveal a thing or two that the main game doesn't, though I've also heard some people say they were disappointing. So I don't know.

Anyways. Yay Silent Hill. I got a hardcore craving due to something I was working on with my writing, and I remembered I hadn't touched Downpour yet. Got lucky to get it cheap, but I'm glad I grabbed it regardless.

EDIT - This dude is basically a slightly skewed take on Zero Punctuation (with completely ripped off graphic elements), but I liked his review of Downpour and also his 3-part Silent Hill Retrospective. Fun watch.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 07, 2012, 09:24:08 AM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野