Author Topic: Google ending Reader July 1st  (Read 3573 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Google ending Reader July 1st
« on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »
Sad face...

This sucks, now I have to find a replacement. I use Reader pretty much every day, multiple times a day.

Since May 13, 2006 you have read a total of 63,005 items.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Google ending Reader July 1st
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
That's such an odd thing to retire. Compared to all their other services it probably takes very little amount of resources to keep up. Isn't this Google we are talking about? The company with the insane amount of processing power and huge server farms? Does it really put a dent into their system compared to something like YouTube?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: Google ending Reader July 1st
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
Probably doesn't generate a lot of revenue.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »
Yeah. Was that the plan for them from the start though? Google has always had products that were sort of given "for free" just to get people into the Google camp. Like for example Gmail, etc.

edit: I mean, other than putting up ads was there another form of revenue for them from Reader? I never used it much.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »
I don't get RSS. I tried to use it once, can't remember what program, and it was all text links in a big ass list or something. Seemed like too much of an info dump and I'd usually just rather get the bits I want.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
I have never used a reader or RSS feeds. I don't care enough about... uh, basically anything to do that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Its great for those sites that you care about but may not update on a regular schedule. Lots of people use RSS to keep track of webcomics. Instead of visiting the site and hoping for an update you'd toss it in your reader and when there was an update you'd know about it. Reader also kept track of which ones you've read so you don't see just a flood of every post, just the updates.

For me and my shit connection, I basically can't function without RSS. I like to read a bunch of sites and news but there's no way I can bother going and loading up each one individually, scroll around looking for the stories I want to read. Reader just put them in a nice list in one place, I can quickly scan the headlines to see if it interests me, click it to either read a summary or the whole article (depends on the feed), and if I want to visit the web page the link to it is right there. All in one page load.

What makes this extra shitty is Google Reader became THE reader. Everyone used it and a lost of the others simply shut down. Most readers you see now actually plug into Google Reader! So when it goes so does pretty much everything else. I'm sure some companies will step in to fill the void but that is going to take time and Google only gave 4 months notice. Its going to be a rough transition.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
Its great for those sites that you care about but may not update on a regular schedule. Lots of people use RSS to keep track of webcomics. Instead of visiting the site and hoping for an update you'd toss it in your reader and when there was an update you'd know about it. Reader also kept track of which ones you've read so you don't see just a flood of every post, just the updates.

For me and my shit connection, I basically can't function without RSS. I like to read a bunch of sites and news but there's no way I can bother going and loading up each one individually, scroll around looking for the stories I want to read. Reader just put them in a nice list in one place, I can quickly scan the headlines to see if it interests me, click it to either read a summary or the whole article (depends on the feed), and if I want to visit the web page the link to it is right there. All in one page load.

What makes this extra shitty is Google Reader became THE reader. Everyone used it and a lost of the others simply shut down. Most readers you see now actually plug into Google Reader! So when it goes so does pretty much everything else. I'm sure some companies will step in to fill the void but that is going to take time and Google only gave 4 months notice. Its going to be a rough transition.

This.  It's like a customized Digg (old digg) or Reddit without all the community. Basically, great for content which doesn't update regularly or just for aggregating a bunch of news sources you select into one feed.  I'll just load reader up on my phone and get fed all the stories that broke in the last couple of hours in business, sports, gaming, tech, web comics or whatever.

I'm a bit distraught over this as Flipboard isn't a great replacement and other readers, like Press pretty much use the Reader backend.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I was using NetNewsWire (I think) at one point and really liked the concept of RSS feeds. Then it got to a point that I had just too much to read so I gave up on it. :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: Google ending Reader July 1st
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
I thought I saw on Ars Technica that there was a RSS reader out there that didn't rely on Google Reader...

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
Google Reader was basically 90% of my time on the internet until a few months ago. Now I just use twitter instead.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »
From your 17 subscriptions, over the last 30 days you read 0 items, clicked 0 items, starred 0 items, and emailed 0 items.

Since August 1, 2008 you have read a total of 127,357 items.

I wonder how many people look like that. Heavy usage that just turned to zero.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
Google Reader was basically 90% of my time on the internet until a few months ago. Now I just use twitter instead.

Of course you do, you're still a fourteen year old girl.

SNAP!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »
I wasn't even aware of the thing till this thread.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »
I used to use it on my phone until Flipboard.