Author Topic: Infinite Space  (Read 3199 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Infinite Space
« on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:05:06 AM »
Has anyone actually played through this?

I tried it out a long time ago and never got into but, but I'm giving it another chance now.

Basically, it's a Sci-fi RPG from Sega and Platinum games that's really more based on strategy and stat building than most Japanese RPGs. You're the captain of a ship (and pretty soon into the game, a fleet) running around to make your name throughout the universe.  Presumably, something happens to put you on a mission to save everything known to man, but I haven't gotten there yet.

It's actually grown on me quite a bit after giving it a second chance. The JRP aspect isn't off-putting (yet at least) and it REALLY doesn't play like one. Moving around is plotting courses in your star map, navigating planets and space ports is a freelancer-esque case of selecting locations to visit from a menu, and battles are pretty awesome (and strategic). The real meat, however, come from stat building in the form of building and customizing your ship/fleet/crew (which plays out by arranging tetris-style blocks on a limited grid).  I've rarely played an RPG where it feels like your isolated choices in upgrades have such a profound effect). 

I'm having a lot of fun with it and don't think I'll be able to do justice with my explanation here, but maybe check it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Infinite Space
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 05:17:30 AM »
Sounds pretty neat. I don't recall ever hearing of it before now, but I love space-themed stuff. I might have to locate a copy at some point.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
I own this, but haven't played through it yet.  I did put a couple of hours into it when I first got it and liked what I played.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 11:20:10 PM »
Aaaaaand 19 hours in and I'm done.

I hit a battle that I can not fucking win, although I think I get really close.  Suprisingly, it's not really frustrating because of the depth of the system (not the battle system directly, just the affects of your crew/fleet builds), but I don't really think I want to keep going. Just feels like time for something new....who knows if I'll be back.