Author Topic: Wanna hear some frogs?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Wanna hear some frogs?
« on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
Went out to do some frog monitoring tonight. Had my ipod in my pocket and decided to make a little recording. Its only 25 seconds though because reasons, but I can do a longer one sometime.

Clicky

You'll mainly hear chorus frogs, but if you listen close or turn the volume up you'll hear a northern leopard frog.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Wanna hear some frogs?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
Oh man, one of my favorite sounds. We used to be able to hear them at the condo in Martinez, and I used to hear them underneath the BART tracks walking back from work if it had just rained. I miss those little guys.

Would definitely love a nice long clip if you ever make one!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »
Sure, I'll have to do that. Gonna find a better app for my ipod to record with and we have some ponds here on our property so going out and recording shouldn't be a big deal. We're supposed to get some more rain this week so by the weekend the frogs should be chirping like crazy.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
Can you eat them? :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
For as little meat as there is on them it seems like a lot of effort for nothing, but I guess you could eat them.

For those interested in a longer recording, heres 5 minutes and change of frog calls. I recorded this about an hour ago on our back pond/wet area. The majority is of course chorus frogs but you also hear some tree frogs (pretty sure they are Copes Grey tree frogs). There was also a leopard frog out there calling but it was seldom and I dont know if the mic picked it up. Theres a low hum in the background and thats probably the tollway thats only a couple miles from here.

I also heard an american toad calling in the not-too-distant distance but they weren't in either of our wet areas so I couldn't get a recording of them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
Awesome dude, thanks!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野