Author Topic: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -> Update: FOV Patch released  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger headed back to Old West for release in 2013
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 07, 2012, 04:40:22 AM »
I don't know, man.. Techland have demonstrated just how badly they can F things up with CoJ: The Cartel. It's not the modern setting that ruined it, it was everything else. It completely abandoned all the things that made the first two games unique.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -> Update: FOV Patch released
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
Steam Community -> Patch released w/ all kinds of fixes and tweaks - including FOV adjustments allowed.

Now, here's the thing - a lot of people get sick (motion sickness) and whatnot b/c of LOW FOV's sliders/settings on the PC; especially when compared to the consoles. On console, your FOV is lower b/c you're normally further back and sitting in a couch, a distance away - whereas on the PC, you're hugging the screen.

So, why the hell are so many PC games right out-the-box (like COJ: Gunslinger & Metro: Last Light) having such low FOV's these days? Why are the dev's and pub's reacting (to concerns & complaints) instead or being pro-active from the get-go?

I can understand say laziness and "basic" ports w/ say a lack of game settings on PC (I'd rather not see that - but it is what it is), but THIS? THIS is a health concern for many. This seems like one of the seems that should be supported straight-up.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
There's more to it than that.  The lower the FOV, the less workload on the engine.  This allows for better rendering quality and frame rate on what you get to see at one time.  Plus designing for the same FOV across platforms saves time and money.  A change in FOV may not match up with 2D overlays, for example.  Those might have to be scaled and made switchable based on FOV.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
Granted it can improve performance to have a lower FOV but I'd rather have slightly lower details than tunnel-eye-vision. Anything lower than 80 degrees is just way too constricted; above 90 and you start to see a parallax fish-eye effect.

In Metro it kinda works though, it adds to the sense that you're wearing a gas mask, which does obstruct your peripheral vision.

I never really understood why first-person games were suddenly unanimously being optimized for 75 degrees or lower FOV. I feel like consoles are to blame.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
I blame the need for pretty still shots.  Everyone is competing for the best-looking static image on a website or printed page.  The difference between 60 and 90 degrees is huge in real-time rendering.  (I like comparing RT rendering to lifting all real objects within your field of vision at once.  Can you do it?)  Blaming consoles is still fair, though.  A dev studio has to be as efficient as possible in allocating resources for a game's development.  If it has to handle the FOV and all its fallout differently on each platform, it's going to take longer and/or cost more.  It's easier to put out a one-size-fits-all view cone, and then let the PC people tweak it (and live with the consequences, such as ill-fitting HUDs or chugginess).  When the next gen hits later this year, hopefully things will get better technically across the board.  Right now, consoles are a low lowest common denominator.