Author Topic: My new Gmail app  (Read 2897 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
My new Gmail app
« on: Monday, June 10, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!

Update your Gmail on your phone and post back here.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: My new Gmail app
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 10, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
I have the latest on my ipod...but I never really used it before so I don't know how its different.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 10, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »
This is kind of a big image, sorry about that:

The icons on the left hand side.  If the people in the conversation have pictures associated with your gmail account (and on most android phones these can also be pulled from Facebook automatically) or their google account, it ends up being the profile picture.  Otherwise, it's a big letter in a big fucking box.  My personal inbox is a slight mess.  Most of my personal contacts have images associated with them due to gmail accounts or Facebook, and those all show up.  Mail from people/companies without pictures is like 50/50.

My work email box that I pull through a parent gmail account on my phone is a fucking Magic Eye picture now. I get emails that have bounced through four different client levels, get CC'd to three people in my company and are all over the place.  Each message thread now basically has a box of four different colors OR PICTURES in front of it.  And then throw Gmail's colour-coded labels in and FUCK.

It's hideous.  And it's not the biggest deal in the world...I'm sure I'll be used to it in a day, but I seriously just don't see why.  It's not really aesthetically pleasing even when it does work right and there isn't any functionality behind it (Oh....Ryan starts with an 'R'  good to know).  It seems like they're chasing metro and ....well, I don't know why?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:09:58 AM »
It is a radical change indeed. I'm not too keen on the wasted screen space with those massive Duplo-esque icons. It looks like they decided on keeping the profile pictures then lefta  placeholder for when there's no picture.

I do appreciate one thing though: delete option is back instead of "only archive" so now I can delete a conversation from using my phone rather just archiving junk.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
They also removed the ability to delete your automatically uploaded photos.  I can't do it from the Gallery app or the Google+ mobile app now.  I used to be able to do it from both places, then only from Google+, then only from Google+ on my phone and not my tablet, and now I can't do it anywhere.  Presumably I can through Picasa or Google+ on the web, but I haven't tried yet.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: My new Gmail app
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »
Weird,  I always had the delete option.   As for the photos,  also weird,  mine never automatically uploaded.   Like,  all  your camera shots?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Re: My new Gmail app
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
Yeah but it is something I enabled after installing Google+. But yes all photos from phone.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 21, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »
Looks like they updated the iOS gmail app and the website one. I hate it, instead of having it all in my inbox, I have 3 inboxes that I tab over to that it organizes stuff in. Completely unnecessary, it just takes more clicks to view emails. I keep my email as clean as I can but this makes it more of a hassle.