Author Topic: Telltale working on The Walking Dead and Fables games  (Read 8774 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Telltale working on The Walking Dead and Fables games
« on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »
Oooh!

Today, Telltale Games is announcing an exclusive worldwide publishing agreement with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to develop video games for the comic book series Fables, and an exclusive worldwide agreement to develop and publish a series of videogames based on the AMC cable network’s zombie hit “The Walking Dead.” It’s also working with Universal Pictures on “Back to the Future” and “Jurassic Park” games.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Telltale working on The Walking Dead and Fables games
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
Hell fucking yes, I love Fables.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
Fables video game?  I love Fables, but I don't see how that could be turned into a good game.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
I think it would work great as a Telltale adventure game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
MOAR!

King's Quest: Not a port of the original, this will be an entire reboot of the franchise. Expect more details at E3 in June.

Puzzle Agent 2: Last summer Puzzle Agent, a bizarre take on the Professor Layton formula, was released on PC and iOS platforms (it'll make its way to the PlayStation Network this spring). The sequel, Puzzle Agent 2, is coming this summer to all the same platforms. It again stars Agent Tethers and takes place in the snowy Midwest.

More Hector: Badge of Carnage: The first episode of Hector, a mature, gritty point-and-click adventure, was released independently by developer Straandlooper on the iPhone last summer. Telltale is partnering with Straandlooper to first bring Episode 1 to iPad, PC, and Mac this spring. Two more Episodes will be released later this year.

Fables: Telltale will bring the Vertigo comic book series to PC, Mac, and consoles in Q1 of 2012. Fables stars famous characters from fairy tales and mythology that have been forced out of their Homelands. Expect more details at Comic-Con in July.
Telltale must be super busy to have this many projects going, including Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and Walking Dead.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »
OH MY GOD

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
Wow. King's Quest. I watched my brother play through the first and second one and played through five on my own. I hope they tend towards the more straight faced nature of the first games (rather than more lighthearted nature of the fifth. There was still humor, but the overall tone wasn't as playful... maybe that was just because you could die).  Guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see how Telltale fairs with something that isn't so reliant on humor. They're doing good work, but for stuff like Sam and Max and what I saw of Monkey Island the humor just isn't quite to the level of the originals. That, and I just wouldn't mind seeing some more serious adventure games again. Pretty much any decent one since the Longest Journey has been based on comedy. If we're having a renaissance of this stuff it should be from all angles.

But yeah, Telltale has to have grown by some leaps and bounds since the first Monkey Island release.

Edit: A Giantbomb quicklook of Jurassic Park. Hmmm. Minutes in and I'm not too impressed. It just looks sorta bad visually. Maybe they're not quite ready to do less stylized looking games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
Telltale wanted to do everything, apparently.
Telltale wanted to do Scott Pilgrim but I said no. I couldn't see it as an adventure game. All respect to them, though

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 10:39:05 AM »
Well I grabbed the Walking Dead Telltale game off the steam sale and played the first episode. It is fan-fucking-tastic, does an amazing job making it feel like the comics. There's plenty of tense and dramatic moments throughout. Voice acting is great and its got good dialogue and characters. Check this shit out!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
Crap the sales are over. Will check it out soon.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 23, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Hmm, I barely glanced at this on the Xbox.  I'm not a fan of episodic games (or shows, for that matter).  I may have to check it out.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »
I just played through Episode 1 in a single sitting. This is the most refreshing game I've played in years. Point and Click Adventure is perfect and makes it feel more like an interactive movie than a video game.

I'm going to take a couple of weeks break and then start Episode 2. I hear it gets even better.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 30, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
P.S. Episode 1 is free right now on Xbox Live.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 05:32:53 AM »
The "point and click" part doesn't work too well the way they have it mapped out on the Xbox controller. There's a zombie coming at you and you need to aim for it's head and shoot/kick/whatever? You're aiming with the right stick (right thumb) and attacking with the A button (also the right thumb). The triggers aren't used, so it's not like there's something important mapped to those.

Other than the controls and the few glitches I've run into, I'm having a blast though. I know, it's supposed to be somber and upsetting, but I'm having fun.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »
I still can't get into the point/click/QTE-fest, but you can't beat the price of the first episode (free), so I'm sort of plodding through that, slowly.  It will stay free a few more days, so grab it if you haven't, Xboxers.  I still would prefer to watch a properly recorded playthrough, popcorn bucket in hand.  The story is quite compelling.

W7RE, what I ended up doing is using my left thumb on the right stick whenever that poor mapping becomes an issue.  That way I can point and mash buttons at the same time.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 03:27:36 AM »
I just finished the 3rd episode. The story so far is pretty good, but I think I may have been expecting too much. Or maybe it's that half the time I'm bitter about the poor controls. (And poor performance affecting the controls. At one point you have a gun pointed at you and if you keep walking, the person will shoot. I stopped walking, but the game hung and it didn't register, so I died. Oh and the floaty and unresponsive sniping sections introduced in Ep3.) I find it weird that the guys at Giant Bomb praise it so highly for it's story, when these same people complained non stop during season 2 of the show. Season 2 was all about the characters and the losing of one's humanity, and this is the same.

Also, this game is teaching me that I don't like adventure games. I'm not fond of the constant pixel hunt and back and forth I end up doing. Basically you find the specific item/location it wants you to interact with, then it gives you a new one to find and interact with. Often you have to look around to find the thing you must manipulate, then hunt around for a tool to manipulate it with, then go back and do it. At one point in episode 3 I found 3 tools to choose from, but could only hold 1 at a time. I spent 5 minutes going back and forth trying them all, only to realize I had to do something completely different first. I guess at least I'm not finding myself screwed over in episode 3 because of items I missed in episode 1. (a problem I remember having in old King's Quest games.)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
That's it.  You're coming to the same realizations I did some years ago.  Classic adventure gameplay is primitive, a requirement for primitive hardware, but not modern rigs.  You're disconnected from the world and your character.  You tell him what to do, instead of doing yourself.

This game is all about the story, not the gameplay.  I would never rate it so highly, just because of that.  It would have been awesome when Myst came out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »
I agree with Cobra. Walking Dead is a great example of fantastic story with terrible gameplay. Nobody is playing (or replaying) the game for the gameplay; it's purely story, plot, and characters that are driving any player to push on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 06, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »
Anyways, The Walking Dead PC $12.49 before EC coupon / $7.49 after EC coupon on Amazon DVG.

I finished Episode 1 last night, so here's my choices for TWD - Episode 1 (taken from final screen after Episode ended):
(click to show/hide)

EDIT 1 -> Episode 2 is now done; began and finished it today - so here's my choices from that:
(click to show/hide)

EDIT 2 - Jan 8, 2013 -> Episode 3 is now complete; so here's my decisions:
(click to show/hide)

EDIT 3 - Jan 9, 2013 ->  Episode 4 is now complete; so here's my decisions:
(click to show/hide)

EDIT 4 - Jan 10, 2013 ->  Episode 5 is now complete; so here's my decisions:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 07:39:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 06, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »
Just finished Episode 2. It didn't quite grab me the same was as Episode 1 and there were some distracting framerate issues but still good overall.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
I agree with Cobra. Walking Dead is a great example of fantastic story with terrible gameplay. Nobody is playing (or replaying) the game for the gameplay; it's purely story, plot, and characters that are driving any player to push on.
The stealth missions, shooting missions, QTE's, the (easy) puzzles, and your decisions in dialogue - they show up here and there. The latter definitely show up the most of the bunch.

It's the QTE's, puzzles, and important decisions changing the actual "journey" this "game" takes seem to be where the gameplay is at. This game really seems to challenging our typical definition of what a game actually is.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:33:24 AM »
I snagged The Walking Dead with some Amazon software credit I didn't even know I had.  Ended up getting it for free.  It's downloaded and installed on Steam ready to go this evening (provided Willa cooperates)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
I snagged The Walking Dead with some Amazon software credit I didn't even know I had.  Ended up getting it for free.  It's downloaded and installed on Steam ready to go this evening (provided Willa cooperates)

Nice.

Just in case you do buy games from Amazon digitally often...

If you bought any games from Amazon DVG (PC downloads) in Nov 2012 to Dec 2012, you might have some Editor's Choice coupons and get $5 off any of these games in this List during only Jan 2013.

Check your e-mails and search for the tag "1000728511" to locate all your EC coupons you earned from buying in Nov 2012-Dec 2012. (Don't count the ones from 2011, for example - only 2012).
Or, you could check your Amazon DVG account for what PC downloads you bought during those 2 months - and you'll know how many $5 credits you got. ;)

The Editors Choice game list rotates and has games go on sale constantly include weekly sales, few day sales, even one-day sales, new games added, etc - so check the CAG Amazon DVG Thread for what's on sale.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 07:44:55 AM »
I finally finished the first season. I kept putting it off because of distractions and the not-so-great gameplay mechanics. Despite that, the story is amazing. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but as you might imagine it's a tough tale and a tearjerker at times.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
I finally finished the first season. I kept putting it off because of distractions and the not-so-great gameplay mechanics. Despite that, the story is amazing. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but as you might imagine it's a tough tale and a tearjerker at times.

I'm like a few hours into Episode 2.  I want to keep playing but am having a hard time getting into it again.  How long is the entire season?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I'm like a few hours into Episode 2.  I want to keep playing but am having a hard time getting into it again.  How long is the entire season?
It's 5 episodes.

I'd estimate about 1 hour to 1˝ hours to get through each, depending on how much time you spend "exploring." It's not long but since the story is tumultuous and emotionally stirring it feels like a lot to take on with each sitting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, December 21, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »
God damn, is it ever stirring.  I just finished Episode 2, moving on to 3.  I'll probably try to bomb through and not "explore" where I can - I find it a bit hard to play because I'm always on the run and it can be quite a bit between saves.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, December 21, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
Good game.  I am hoping to pick up Season 2 when it drops in price.  I still need to play the expansion, 400 days as well.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, December 24, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
And finished.  That was pretty amazing. I've heard that the gameplay elements are a lot better in The Wolf Among Us (in that you have a bit more of an impact in the plot and...well, there ARE gameplay elements), and that's something to look forward to with the sequel but I'm still just really blown away with what they did with this.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, December 24, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
I grabbed 400 Days.  This "expansion" was fairly mediocre.  Pretty much no gameplay except for some dialogue choices.  It was also a very short experience (probably 45 minutes to 1 hour).  But it was only $1.50 or something like that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, December 24, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm skipping that.

Edit:  Also, Telltale is working on a Game of Thrones game.  BAM

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 06:06:20 AM »
I've just started 400 Days, I've selected as Vince. Starts out somewhat interesting but definitely more about decisions than any walking around or anything.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm skipping that.

Edit:  Also, Telltale is working on a Game of Thrones game.  BAM

They're working on a Borderlands thing too, which greatly worries me.  Making a p&c game out of Borderlands is like making a turn-based Indy-car racer.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
If done right it could be great. Who better than Telltale to approach it from that angle? Gearbox have been experimenting with the franchise, they tried that tactical top-down shooter game on iOS.

This could be their way of expanding on the franchise, being one of the very few Gearbox properties with any measure of success, especially considering the two blunders in a row (Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines) they had between the two Borderlands games.

Making a p&c game out of Borderlands is like making a turn-based Indy-car racer.
Funny you should mention that, apparently it has been tried ;D haha

Check this out:
http://www.dark-wind.com/

Apparently there are some turn-based racing games on Android and iOS too.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
Well, I bought Season 2 (or the pass for it) on PSN, as it was $15, which is probably the cheapest it will be for a while. I didn't think about saves from the first season carrying over though, and I played that on Steam so I guess I kinda screwed up.  All good though, it makes random choices and from what I can see it pretty much more or less lines up. 

Word of warning to the rest of you if you want to carry your saves over.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Friday, December 27, 2013, 05:46:53 AM »
If done right it could be great. Who better than Telltale to approach it from that angle? Gearbox have been experimenting with the franchise, they tried that tactical top-down shooter game on iOS.

This could be their way of expanding on the franchise, being one of the very few Gearbox properties with any measure of success, especially considering the two blunders in a row (Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines) they had between the two Borderlands games.
Funny you should mention that, apparently it has been tried ;D haha

Check this out:
http://www.dark-wind.com/

Apparently there are some turn-based racing games on Android and iOS too.

I'm not surprised.  Eons ago, before video games, we had something like this.  My brothers and I would play it.  It wasn't bad.  The point was to control speed on each (game) turn, accelerating down straightaways and braking into (track) turns.  If you didn't brake soon enough, you'd spin out.  (Track) turns had max speeds, as I recall.  Everyone would choose how much to accelerate or decelerate each (game) turn, and then reveal it all at once.  Moving the tokens followed.  Cool concept, and no technology to compete with it at the time.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, December 29, 2013, 05:31:39 AM »
I'm actually a bit excited for a Borderlands adventure game. There are some great characters and humor in there. I will admit its not all great, but the scifi border world universe I just instinctly love.