Author Topic: I don't know how to describe myself  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
I don't know how to describe myself
« on: Saturday, July 12, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
I've been dealing with an issue that's been driving me crazy for the last 5 years or so: I don't know how to introduce myself. In particular what title to use to describe what I actually do. I have done so many different things, yet I don't feel like I've done one thing in particular enough to really call myself qualified in that field to use it as a way to introduce myself.

For example, I have done a lot of photography. I have shot commercial projects, fashion shows, real estate, you name it. At the same time I don't do it full time, because if I did I would advertise it openly as something I do. Instead it's just a service I can offer. Lets see, what else? Well, I've organized events, but not on a regular basis, maybe 1 every year as of late. So I'm not really an event organizer right? Ok, how about being an MC? Same thing, I've probably hosted over 20 events by now, but am I doing it on a weekly basis? Nope. Programmer? Haven't really done a commercial project in some time...

Obviously this bugs me like crazy, to a point that I feel like I have no goals or ambitions, there's nothing really that I feel "calls me". I'm just doing things I'm supposedly good at or nobody else picks up. It all feels like high school again where I was just good at things, just had the talent to study, without feeling like I could pick any particular direction. I just feel like nothing, just floating through time.

I was at a wedding last week and I honestly had a hard time talking about myself, I just didn't feel like anything I've done felt really "me". I don't think I left a good impression on anyone... I was thinking of joining a dating site cause apparently that's the way to meet people these days. Well, I got stuck at the bio...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: I don't know how to describe myself
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 13, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
I feel you, man. I've had that same problem my whole life, pretty much. Still do. Hasn't really gotten any better. I don't really have trouble talking about myself, as I feel like all the things I like or am halfway decent at make me an interesting person (and they would you as well), so I just sort of talk about all of it if I'm in a situation where I have to.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 13, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm ok when it's a smaller social situation or when I'm with people who know me in some way or there is actually an opportunity to get to know people (without music blaring all the time so you have to scream). Then you have something you can start with and go from there. I'm also usually better at listening to other people talk than just to state facts about me. When it's complete strangers I feel strange saying "oh, I do a lot of things, let me list them all!", just seems too much and none of it really feels like it defines who I am.

Part of the reason I think why all this bothers me is because a lot of the things I've done have come easily to me, it never really felt like I had to fight to achieve something. I'm not saying my work has been easy, hardly and I've definitely had to fight to get things in some situations, but I was just often offered the initial opportunities through something else. A lot of it was just being at the right place at the right time. Oh, you have a video camera? Can you shoot a TV spot for us? Oh it turned out really nice you should do more, let me recommend you! That kind of stuff. It never felt like I had a dream and I went for it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 13, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 13, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
Haha, idol always knows the right thing to post. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 14, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
You have no idea how much I can relate to you, bro :)